• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The end of Berserk was devastating. School Rumble season 2 was lame. But by far the ending that sucked the hardest was GTO.
In summary: "TTYL MOTORCYCLE"
Ooh the pain.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Well, I'm ready to read most of the entries saying "_____, because it didn't finish and I had to read the manga for the rest of the plot."

What's worse than that kind of ending is when the studio tries to come up with their own ending because the show surpasses where the manga it's based on is at or the show is getting low ratings so they have to end it quick. Now this can be a hit or miss, for example I didn't have any real problems with Fullmetal Alchemist's ending, but often times these kinds of endings feel rushed and don't resolve anything. Gantz is a show that comes to mind. I really wished that they just ended that show at episode 22 or so and just left it open-ended with the possibility of future seasons or only to be continued in the manga, like the ending to Tenjho Tenge. Instead Gonzo decided to write they're own ending only to be met with disastrous results.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
I'm going to have to nominate Zeta Gundam for worst ending ever. It can easily be sumed up as spoiler["And then the protagonist got mind-raped The end."] there's absolutely no indication in the series whatsoever as to what happens afterwards. One has to go watch ZZ Gundam for that. And I, for one, would rather stick burning hot pins in my eyes than watch ZZ Gundam.

I wholeheartedly disagree - the ending of Zeta Gundam is my favorite anime ending, due to its ambivalance and dark nature. And yes, you do have to watch ZZ Gundam if you want to see what happens next, since Z Gundam is part one of two. It can hardly be blamed for the faults of the follow up. If you want to wrap things up with Zeta, then watch the movies instead. But I wouldn't, those movies are terrible.

I don't see the issue with the Escaflowne ending - spoiler[Hitomi can go back to Gaea anytime, can't she?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Wait. Anime Insider requires writers to have experience and literary competence?

News to me. Zac turned out fine, but that magazine scares me. "Vash VS Sailor Moon: who would win this epic showdown?!" and "Who would YOU cast for the live-action American version of Bleach? How about Orlando Bloom as Ichigo?!" doesn't seem like it requires any such attributes.
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
This is only slightly related, but worth a note--one time while watching Cromartie High School, my Dad suddenly said "I think this is my favorite anime!" Considering that he normally won't sit down and watch anything anime that I'm watching, this probably shows how well Cromartie High School's humor translates to an American audience.

Also, that being said, I personally find Family Guy too crude for my liking. There's plenty of American shows I find laugh-out-loud funny, though.
Hahaha yeah Cromartie High was funny,I didn't watch much of it but the robo guy was funny and yeah I agree Family Guy is too crude for me too.:/
skyesage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Wait. Anime Insider requires writers to have experience and literary competence?

News to me. Zac turned out fine, but that magazine scares me. "Vash VS Sailor Moon: who would win this epic showdown?!" and "Who would YOU cast for the live-action American version of Bleach? How about Orlando Bloom as Ichigo?!" doesn't seem like it requires any such attributes.

Just FYI, Bamboo Dong (Shelf Life) writes for AI too, or she did.

Also their features aside, some of their writing is fairly decent, and also AI is sort of the 'Seventeen' of anime magazines, it's fun but it doesn't require any brain power. I don't think there is a 'Vanity Fair' of anime magazines...yet. Wink
rocklobster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
My worst endings:
Inuyasha: Could it have killed them to come up with an ending?
Wolf's Rain: spoiler[ Why did they have to rewind everything and ruin everything Kiba worked for?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
My worst endings:
Wolf's Rain: spoiler[ Why did they have to rewind everything and ruin everything Kiba worked for?]

Don't be too harsh; the ending was undoubtedly rushed, but the part about spoiler[Paradise being a new world is cliche at worst, and a relief at best (as in, they didn't really die).]

As for the recent debate on Escaflowne, it is (to paraphrase Obama) a non issue. It was a smart and satisfying ending in my opinion: it wrapped up the story and the various plot threads, but left room for a sequel. Too bad that sequel was never made (but good in that there was no chance to ruin the original by a horrible sequel or prequel). I have always looked to Escaflowne as a series which was mature and restrained (when it needed to be), and the realistic ending cemented that impression. To have it any other way would have been too sad or too bad.

Gantz (Anime version) was awful at the end, which is infuriating considering how good it was initially. Why they didn't adopt a faster pace, and include more of the Manga, escapes me.

Kino's Journey: it just had to go and do something so infuriating as to end. Why? It was so good. Something that good should not have the right to end just like that. Yes, I jest, but I often wish that it could have kept on going. But then, that would cheapen it.

"Heads I lose, tails you win". That's how I feel about it...

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned His and Her Circumstances, and how the ending was so truncated. But then, with so many Anime that have disappointed us, it is probably far down the list.

Flake of the Week did not seem too flaky to me. Definitely not a head case, I believe.

Eh, ran out of rambling material, for now......
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Worst endings:
Rurouni Kenshin - you can either go with the abysmal 30 or so eps of CRAP at the end of the tv series or the ending that came with the 3rd OAV. Seisouhen, the OAV that fabricated a depressing conclusion that slapped the manga's optimistic finale in the face by depicting Kenshin spoiler[still riddled with guilt and dying.]

Nazca - sure it was apparent the plot wasn't going anywhere halfway into the series, but the ending was just beyond the term "suck".

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
- Ending?....

Evangelion - come on GAINAX... that wasn't "artistic" or "deep". That was 'we ran out of money before we got to the last 2 eps'.[/b]

I'd like to remind the posters that Escaflowne's ending was cut short... the series was supposed to be 39 episodes long initially. I'm both happy with the ending and curious as to what they would have done with the extra episodes.
Obessive-flutist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, my response got published. Yup, I'm the one who is Japanese-American.

The worst anime ending was....Chrno Crusade. It was rushed. I hate it when they just wrap up the ending in 2 episodes but it sucks when they streach it out to 10.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
sometimes it seems anime is awash in poor and/or rushed endings.

I'd have to agree that Berserk was the worst one, spoiler[one minute horrible crap is going down the next someone tells Guts "Don't Die" as he's leaving a house]

I'd also like to note that the original Ideon ending (from the TV series)
was terribly done they put four episodes of material into ~4 minutes of naration.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
Worst endings:
I'd like to remind the posters that Escaflowne's ending was cut short... the series was supposed to be 39 episodes long initially. I'm both happy with the ending and curious as to what they would have done with the extra episodes.

I read on Wikipedia (I think) that while it was intended to be thirty-nine episodes, they cut it down BEFORE it started to air. Because of this advance warning, if you will, the production staff decided to leave in most of the plot and characters, and just moved it along a tad faster.

Wikipedia wrote:
With the series ready for production, the budget required it be cut down to twenty-six episodes. Not wanting to cut out any of the characters or the already elaborately planned plot lines, the series was instead forced to fit into the shorter length. This can be seen some in the first episode, where in the credits were cut in favor of adding more exposition. While a few scenes were deleted, as a whole each episode was left with a feeling of giving the viewer a great deal of information than in many anime series, and it added to the series epic scope. In the retail Japanese video release, some of the deleted scenes were restored to the first seven episodes.

I hope that clears up it up.

Please, move on to another Anime. Please. Stop "evaluating" one of my most favourite Anime, and attack something else. There are plenty of titles out there that are deserving of ridicule for their atrocious endings, why pick on just this one (which has a very good ending)?

So, please.

[Edit: Not an attack on you, scortia. I am speaking generally.]
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

[Edit: Not an attack on you, scortia. I am speaking generally.]

Yeah I gotcha. Thanks for the extra info. I have no problem with the ending either. How can anyone hate the ending of Escaflowne as Yoko Kanno's dramatic "Story of Escaflowne" end title is majestically performed as everyone says their farewells? ;-;
thundastormz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned His and Her Circumstances, and how the ending was so truncated. But then, with so many Anime that have disappointed us, it is probably far down the list.

I totally thought so too... I had to read the manga to get closure.

Fruits Basket didn't have the best of endings either... but that may be because they cut the series short too =/ (Hurrah for manga!)

by the by... I loved Escaflowne. I saw nothing wrong with it even if I was secretly hoping that the outcome was the opposite.
Prinnydood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
I loved Escaflowne, and I don't have a problem with the ending.

Gainax has had several poor endings. Kare Kano and Evangelion were both disappointing. However, their most aggravating ending has to be Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful. The series closed each episode with a countdown on how many days the main character had left to live, so it's not like I expected a 'happy together' ending, but the entire final episode felt as if it had been taken from a different series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4