• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Juné Manga to Print Boys-Love Works on Pre-Order Demand

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
It would have been nice to see all the titles be available in all eBook formats as well... something to push the digital titles selections along...
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
This would be cool if they would at least list other titles that will be available through this pre-order offer, even if they are not available for pre-order yet. It seems pricewise that over 250 people have to pre-order each title to make it to the goal, and I'm not sure that many of these lesser titles will actually meet that goal. Not without serious web advertising, anyway.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised that no one else in the manga industry has tried this idea yet. (At least, as far as I know.) Some smaller game publishers seem to be making a go with this pre-order demand business strategy. It may also work for the ailing manga business, another niche business.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
So basically, if enough readers are interested (and willing to put their money where their mouths are), we can push up the publication date of a title, at least for ourselves. Does one have to order through the June website directly? I always order through Amazon for the free shipping, but I might be convinced to deal with June directly if they were offering some particularly coveted titles for pre-order. I did kind of have my eye on the All You Need Is Love novel there, although I'm not really sure I need to have it 3 months ahead of everyone else. At least (if I understand correctly) it seems these titles will still be printed eventually, even if they don't meet their designated pre-order goals. But it is kind of cool that fans will have the opportunity provide a direct, monetary "bump" for their favorite titles (if they're being offered).

Cait wrote:
This would be cool if they would at least list other titles that will be available through this pre-order offer, even if they are not available for pre-order yet. It seems pricewise that over 250 people have to pre-order each title to make it to the goal, and I'm not sure that many of these lesser titles will actually meet that goal. Not without serious web advertising, anyway.
Yeah, I'm wondering how they'll let us know what's being considered. Perhaps a pre-order mailing list of some sort. I really don't feel like checking into the June website every week (I'd much rather just log onto Amazon for my new Recommendations pages so I can see all publishers' titles simultaneously).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Will this early run books have dust jackets? I miss the dust jackets... Sad
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
So basically, if enough readers are interested (and willing to put their money where their mouths are), we can push up the publication date of a title, at least for ourselves. Does one have to order through the June website directly? I always order through Amazon for the free shipping, but I might be convinced to deal with June directly if they were offering some particularly coveted titles for pre-order. I did kind of have my eye on the All You Need Is Love novel there, although I'm not really sure I need to have it 3 months ahead of everyone else. At least (if I understand correctly) it seems these titles will still be printed eventually, even if they don't meet their designated pre-order goals. But it is kind of cool that fans will have the opportunity provide a direct, monetary "bump" for their favorite titles (if they're being offered).

Cait wrote:
Yeah, I'm wondering how they'll let us know what's being considered. Perhaps a pre-order mailing list of some sort. I really don't feel like checking into the June website every week (I'd much rather just log onto Amazon for my new Recommendations pages so I can see all publishers' titles simultaneously).

Well, as it stands, DMP has an "exclusive" contract to distribute through DIamond, except to redistribute returned products. The exception to that is direct distribution to individual retailers and through their own online store Akadot. I already get all of my favorite DMP, June, 801 and Doki Doki titles through Akadot about a month ahead of Amazon or any of the other online retailers. Amazon seems to be falling on the tail end of BL manga acquisitions in terms of when they have what in stock (I will usually otherwise buy from JustManga). This pre-order offer would enable me to get my hands on some of my favorite BL titles months earlier (a prospect I like very much) than I currently get them through Akadot, but it seems we won't have the same free shipping option available as through Akadot and I have to wonder how much shipping is going to run on these individual pre-orders. Depending on that answer I might just have to stick with my every few months Akadot orders and use this option solely for the big titles that I absolutely want as soon as possible (multi volume series I've already started and authors that I love).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
I ordered All You Need is Love 8/6/08.
My oldest waiting pre-order in In the Walnut ordered 9/10/07 which I assume has actually been cancelled, but TRSI just hasn't changed the description to "No longer available" as they did Sweet Whisper.

I get titles early all the time from TRSI so hopefully orders are orders & these will count toward the pre-order total.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1