• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Koji Yamamoto, Ryo Ohyama, and George Wada on Guilty Crown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
"based on an original premise"?
They mean "original" in the sense of "not based on pre-existing manga/novel/game source material."
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
This interview was hilarious and I quite enjoyed it; I dunno if I was the only one that noticed how cliché it started and then it got progressively more insidious with the questions and comparisons, telling (without being explicit) the producers that the show lacked originality (which is not uncommon in anime, but guilty crown is also guilty of being pretty bad). The last two answers are even slightly tense, IMO.

The only depressing part is to think this is supposedly "anime for the next generation". Even R2 (a trainwreck) at its worst was more interesting and less childish than this series. That and the fact that is has a decent budget.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it has a lot of ideas that are very specifically Japanese, such as foreign independence and national pride in general.

What exactly about these two ideas can be considered specifically Japanese? They rather seem like some of the most universal things out there. Or was the question just not very well phrased ...

Calling Guilty Crown innovative or the new generation of anime just really wants to make me give up on anime all together v.v
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
Ohyama wrote:
... a cutting-edge TV show...

How can he possibly... I just don't know that to say. It's tragic to see such an impressive visual effort (with distinguished musical and vocal contributions) squandered on terrible writing.

Can't wait for episode 8.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Scamp wrote:
Nope, not like Geass at all. No idea where you could be seeing that. Apart from the plot outline and the setting and the characters and pretty much everything else, but otherwise we're not like Geass at all!

Laughing

Preeeeetty much.

Watching this show is so hard (and not in the good way). I'm on the verge of dropping it (I really should). And this is the stuff that passes for original anime. Oh, and Ano Natsu de Matteru is airing next season, which is another "original" anime.

I laughed at a lot of this interview because of all the BS. Aiming for a younger audience than GitS? You could have fooled me!
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Ohyama wrote:
... a cutting-edge TV show...

How can he possibly... I just don't know that to say. It's tragic to see such an impressive visual effort (with distinguished musical and vocal contributions) squandered on terrible writing.
Basically my thoughts on the show so far (up to episode 5), too. It's downright painful.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many Guilty Crown fanboys posting in here are above the age of 20.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Oh, and Ano Natsu de Matteru is airing next season, which is another "original" anime.

"Original" in the sense that it's not based off pre-existing material. No one in their right of mind would declare something as "truly original" - everyone knows that everything's been done before.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Oh, and Ano Natsu de Matteru is airing next season, which is another "original" anime.

"Original" in the sense that it's not based off pre-existing material. No one in their right of mind would declare something as "truly original" - everyone knows that everything's been done before.

I'm aware. The irony is that the current synopsis sounds like another visual novel adaptation. It's a face and name swap so that they can slap "original" on the end.

To be fair, it hasn't aired yet, so it could be good, but all signs point to disaster.

Oh, and Guilty Crown is still unoriginal crap.
Liger01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
So who cares if it isn't original, which is pretty much 90% of all anime shows. GC storyline is average its not the worst, but it isn't code geass or death note either. The animation and music is certainly top notch.
Shu isn't orginal character nor were lelouch or light, not to mention his reaction is pretty realistic, I would be like him if I was put in the same position. I don't get why GC is being target considering there are plenty of shows quite a bit worse, maybe its just right timing or something. Give the show a try with out biased opinions, maybe you might like it, I certainly do.
CKSqua

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Quote:
it has a lot of ideas that are very specifically Japanese, such as foreign independence and national pride in general.

What exactly about these two ideas can be considered specifically Japanese? They rather seem like some of the most universal things out there. Or was the question just not very well phrased ...

The question seems a litle misguided.

What the interviewer may mean is that those themes are currently more relevant to Japanese audiences than those of many other countries. As you may know, there has been a nationalistic push over the past decade with the Japanese trying to regain the meaning of being Japanese and trying to escape from the shadow of the west (on an international level, they're often perceived to be subservient to American interests). These issues are reflected in such controversies as the Yasukuni shrine and the on-going presence of American military forces within the country.
siradix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
hmm Well I saw the similarities between CG and GC.

Japan is being oppressed by a foreign entity, Britania/GHQ.
Gai/Zero puts together an underdog team to overthrow the current power and return Japan to the Japanese.
Shu/Lelouch are granted a power used to defeat their enemies by C.C./Inori. Inori's sword is Shu's power in this situation, considering that the sword itself gains new abilities each time it is brought into battle.

There are more similarities, but they start to become more generic. Such as the high school setting, Hare Menjou being similar to Shirley Fenette, Arisa Kuhouin being similar to Milly Ashford, and Arugo Tsukishima being similar to Shinichiro Tamaki.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:

26 years old here, although I would hardly consider myself a "fanboy". I do enjoy this show and I did notice the similarities with Code Geass, ones that have been diminishing further and further as the show continued its run.

But then, considering the miserable number of people who defended the series in this thread so far, I would sooner wonder about the age of people who keep bashing a decent show in a desperate effort to prove themselves edgy and artistic.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
Ramblemouse wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:

26 years old here, although I would hardly consider myself a "fanboy". I do enjoy this show and I did notice the similarities with Code Geass, ones that have been diminishing further and further as the show continued its run.

But then, considering the miserable number of people who defended the series in this thread so far, I would sooner wonder about the age of people who keep bashing a decent show in a desperate effort to prove themselves edgy and artistic.

The only thing decent about Guilty Crown is the animation and music. The plot is super generic and the writing is awful. People don't draw similarities to multiple shows for nothing; GC is ripping off a lot of stuff and not doing anything to speak for itself.

I'm not saying this to be "edgy" or "artistic." I'm making an objective criticism. One only needs to look at the main characters, to be honest; Shu is the worst kind of protagonist that is constantly used in anime (usually romcoms) and Inori is extreme otaku bait - cute, quiet (but still a badass in combat), and strangely attached to the wimp of a main character.

I'm 21, by the way.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
I'm making an objective criticism.

No such thing, though, because your criticism comes from your point-of-view. Just like something is not "objectively" bad because of name changes or such. Criticisms can carry different weights than others, though. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4