• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's First Releases from Geneon Deal Scheduled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjc5436

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
It's about time!!!!! Funimation you guys RULE!!!!!! But i wonder if they are going to recast the voice actors to some of these titles? Please don't change the voice actors in Hellsing Ultimate that one rocks!!!

FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation's not dubbing them. Geneon is. Geneon is still able to produce and dub titles. FUNimation's just helping to get the DVDs to stores.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
mjc5436 wrote:
It's about time!!!!! Funimation you guys RULE!!!!!! But i wonder if they are going to recast the voice actors to some of these titles? Please don't change the voice actors in Hellsing Ultimate that one rocks!!!

Umm, didn't I just say a couple pages ago that they weren't going to change anything? Rolling Eyes
MH Knights

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yay, I will be watching Second Barrage in a little over a month!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Meh, it looks like I'm going to get rid of my older copies of Hellsing Ultimate and just get the newer ones from Funi. Wouldn't make sense to have it owned partially released by Geneon and then partially released by Funi. WHen it's owned by me it's got to be one or the other.

I plan on keeping my original Geneon copies of vol. 1-3 and just going ahead with Funimation hereafter. I guess the idea of different labels doesn't bother me, plus I don't want to spend money on something twice.

Calculusman wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:
I guess I was trying to wrap my brain on how some of those titles were going to work. If you have a volume or two of a given Geneon title and you want to complete it, you may have to do so through a whole series box. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Black Lagoon)

If that's what it takes to get that whole first season I suppose that's what you'll have to do.

I believe Black Lagoon season 1 discs are individual volumes. Notice it doesn't say "series box," it just says Season 1. They could have just as easily said "Volumes 1 -3" I guess.

I think you're correct. I just preordered Second Barrage vol. 1 & 2 and the first season was still in individual discs, I don't recall a set on Right Stuf's site.
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:47 am Reply with quote
Hmm. =\ Am I reading that right? They're not going to release disc 4 of Hellsing Ultimate by itself? It's a boxset or nothing? What the devil am I supposed to do with the first three discs I bought as Geneon released them? >.> The market's going to be flooded from people trying to dump their old (or new) copies of those 3, if they do that. o_O You won't be able to get anything for them! I was happy to hear they were re-releasing it, but that kinda pisses me off. I don't want to buy three DVDs I already own just to get the first disc.
Wildcat70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
I am so glad they picked up When they Cry. I loved that series. I am so happy I will now be able to finish the series. THANK YOU Funmation
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Funi is trying to get Geneon out of the way before ADV since it has been so long since I've seen the last volumes of most of these series unlike the ADV titles. I still have the recent volumes of Kanon, Pumpkin Scissors, Tokyo Majin, and Red Garden in my "to be watched" pile.

On the other hand I can't really remember some of the details in When They Cry, and will definitely want to rewatch my Saiunkoku DVDs again before the new volumes are out. It's been so long that I actually had to look through my collection since I forgot how many volumes of Karin were released.

Kind of scary, but looking at ANN's release list Disgea and Vietiful Joe are the only Geneon titles from 2007 that I don't own.

AnimeCornerStore wrote:
"distributor stuff"

I'm always glad to hear official info from Bob. Not only is this a nice favor to fans, but it also makes me feel that the people running these operations are anime fans. Shawne from "Brand X" posts here are what initially made me start buying DVDs from them instead of the monstrous amazon which offered (at the time) similar savings. The folks at Anime Nation also seem to be pretty fun as well.
camilla17

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
This is probably mentioned somewhere else in another post, but does that mean that Funimation will complete series that were incomplete under Geneon? I love Kyo Kara Maoh! and would love to finish collecting the last few DVDs of season 2 since there is a season 3 out there that might possibly make its way to the US one day.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
kitsunelady wrote:
Hmm. =\ Am I reading that right? They're not going to release disc 4 of Hellsing Ultimate by itself?

No, each of the four volumes has been solicited as a single release each, it's just that the wording in the article is a bit vague. Check out the Hellsing Ultimate volume 4 product page at Right Stuf.

All I can say about this is that FUNi is handling the situation pretty close to what I had hoped in terms of Higurashi and the like: make it a priority to release any unsolicited volumes first before thinking about putting out sets. Now my worries about picking up second copies of various volumes have been removed. Thanks, FUNimation.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
camilla17 wrote:
This is probably mentioned somewhere else in another post, but does that mean that Funimation will complete series that were incomplete under Geneon?

The short answer: Yes Smile
You won't have to double dip.

Others brought up the Shana OVA box. I would like to think that Geneon/Funi will be sensitive to those of us who already own the 6 volumes and release the box. It's my guess that since it was pretty close to the release date of the box when everything stopped, there might be some boxes that have already been manufactured. They might be able to at least have a first-come-first- served free for all sale on whatever was produced.

If they don't release the OVA box combo, it will only be one small blip compared to all the good that is being done, so I won't complain too much. Wink
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
camilla17 wrote:
This is probably mentioned somewhere else in another post, but does that mean that Funimation will complete series that were incomplete under Geneon? I love Kyo Kara Maoh! and would love to finish collecting the last few DVDs of season 2 since there is a season 3 out there that might possibly make its way to the US one day.

Yes, FUNi made a deal with Geneon to distribute all (I think) of the latter's incomplete titles at the time they ceased distribution, as well as a series or two that were completed soon before then. Here's the news post listing the titles. The news post associated with this thread gives the release dates for the first round of the acquisitions, including Kyo Kara Maoh's season 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4