• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation licenses Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Thats why you get them marked as "gifts."
polyh3dron

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
herbkir wrote:
The series will get a lot more mass-market exposure. Why is that bad news? (^_*)

'Cause I, being a non-US resident, won't get to see any of it. For me the whole US license thing means that since the quality fansub stops, I'll see the rest of the series either with a horrible Engrish-like translation, or in raw. And since I know I won't have money to buy the US release DVDs when they come out (especially if they'll be 3 eps/disc), that'll be the only version of this wonderful anime that I'll see for a long, long time.

But yeah... that's bad news for me. Americans who whine about "wah, it's gonna be on Adult Swim, it's the end of the world as we know it" should be glad that at least they'll see it on TV, and they'll be able to buy it on DVD without the extra cost that comes with importing stuff.

This is a great argument, well said Smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:26 pm Reply with quote
doesn't surprise me at all, seems very up Funimation's alley.

who were you expecting? VIZ? LOL

TheDoom wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks this sucks?

Sure, it brings it to the US.....But I want to continue watching it NOW. Sad

don't be stupid, you know the groups won't just drop this project. look at Inuyasha
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:35 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Yes, it is pronounced "Lupan" because it's French. But it's still spelled "Lupin."

Being French I would like to respectfully disagree somewhat with this statement.

It is not pronounced anything like what Anglophones would read "Lupan" as. Although it is quite true that it iesn't pronounced the same way that "Lupin" would be read either.

Since it can't be written in English the way it is pronounced in French, I would suggest writting it the same way it is written in French. All the English translations of the original French novels use "Lupin".

This is also the way that the Japanese write Lupin when they use the western alphabet.

In otherwords, FUNimation has, in my opinion, used the appropriate title.

To the best of my knowledge, the only time FUNimation has done anything undesirable to a title is with Conan. Now, personally I don't know much about the decision making process, but I don't think the Conan the Barbarian link was big enoough to warrant the change, but I do understand their decision (see Spike Lee vs Spike TV, while Spike TV succeeeded in the end, it was a rather big headache).

FUNimation as, in the past, been a mized bag. They seem to have two ways of working, one set for big name, mainstream titles like DBZ, and the other for fan-oriented titles like Tenchi and Fruits Basket.

What remains to be seen is how FMA and Conan (well, we know about the name changes, but lets see how the DVD release is edited) will be treated.

With their recent track record, I have a feeling there won't be too many big dissapointments.

PS: http://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/arsenelupin.htm
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Herlock Somes,
Now why did the Lupin creators complain about Lupin III?
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I had to double check this, but folks, PIONEER licensed Lupin the 3rd.

So, complaining to FUNimation about how it's really supposed to be pronounced Throat-Wobbler Mangrove would really just net you blank stares.

Anyhoo, FUNimation licensed it. Big deal. It'll get a decent release. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrible. It'll find it's way onto TV (about an 80% chance of this) and there'll be plenty of stateside merchandising.

Would you rather U.S. Manga Corps was handling it?
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I had to double check this, but folks, PIONEER licensed Lupin the 3rd.

um...*half the industry*'s got licenses to some part of the Lupin franchise:

AnimEigo - Fuma Conspirary, Legend of the Gold of Babylon theatrical features
Manga Entertainment - Castle of Cagliostro theatrical feature
FUNimation - Voyage to Danger, Secret of Twilight Gemini, Pursuit of Harimao, Dragon of Doom theatrical features
Pioneer/Geneon - TV series

...and it's entirely possible I'm forgetting somebody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
...and it's entirely possible I'm forgetting somebody.

First TV Series: FUNimation
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
(see Spike Lee vs Spike TV, while Spike TV succeeeded in the end, it was a rather big headache).

It also absolutely killed any & all hype that Spike had built for the "launch." By the time they got everything set to rights with Spike Lee, nobody cared. At all.

Granted, Spike TV's turned out to be an absolute laughing stock regardless, but the legal altercation stopped it from being an "anticipated" laughing stock.

Tempest wrote:
FUNimation as, in the past, been a mized bag. They seem to have two ways of working, one set for big name, mainstream titles like DBZ, and the other for fan-oriented titles like Tenchi and Fruits Basket.

Hum...I'd say Yuu Yuu Hakusho got a pretty accurate treatment in the end, and it was marketed as one of their big name titles. The only real problem was the TV run, but that really has no bearing on DVD content.

Tempest wrote:
With their recent track record, I have a feeling there won't be too many big dissapointments.

I'll drink to that.

Tempest wrote:
First TV Series: FUNimation

Sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote
In the midst of all this complaining, I'd like to think some people are more worried about how the voices will be handled.

I mean, Anime gets liscensed, its a part of the Anime market in America, so, it happens.

Is it a certainty that it will stop being subbed?

Not to my knowledge.

Even so, after the said "official" dvds come out, you will most likely be able to find someone who ripped those with them.

The point I am trying to make is that while it IS understandable that this happend, its also understandable to be disappointed.

I hate waiting. I am NOT a patient person by far. I complain if I have to wait in line at a fast food place for crying out loud. But, as this is something I, and nobody else here, has any control over, then I think people should learn to accept what they cannot change. No matter if it does disappoint them.

While most choose to use the basis of the DBZ dub for all of FUNimations critisizm, they don't look at the other stuff they have done. Such as Fruits Basket, which was done GREAT. They even put alot of episodes on each DVD.

Honestly, people that just sit and complain about that are so annoying. I personally think this is great. When FMA hits America it will get more exposure and more fans. It will become very popular because its a great story.

While looking at recent track records, as stated, most of FUNimations stuff seems to be handled with great attention for detail these days. Such as Yu Yu Hakusho (as stated), etc etc.

I am expecting a good, accurate dub, and great subtitles. I will happily be buying this and adding to my ever growing collection.
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The_Dominion wrote:
Well this came out of no where.

This didn't come out of nowhere, this was obviously annouced at E3, the video game trade show where all gaming companies strut their stuff. This is the perfect place for Square-Enix to announce that they have sold the license of FMA since they announced before E3 that they will have a display of their FMA RPG in their booth, which is stated for release in Spring 2005.
redbeangirl

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember a couple of people suggesting that FMA will be airing as part of Adult Swim. This would make a lot of sense, of course, considering the mature content and themes of the series. Definately not kids' stuff, to be sure.

However, unless things change (and boy, do I hope they do) Cartoon Network intends to put FMA into an afternoon slot, a la DBZ. Which means that FUNimation is going to be "localizing" it with an 8-12 demographic in mind.

They might as well rename it "Happy Fun Puppy Alchemist," considering what they're probably going to do to it.

There was talk in my office (I work for a Cartoon Network affiliated studio) about this months ago, and I kept hoping it wasn't going to pan out. Alas! It has....and my hopes are not high. -_-
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quote
redbeangirl wrote:
Definately not kids' stuff, to be sure.

Even though it runs in an afternoon children's timeslot in Japan. Right.

redbeangirl wrote:
However, unless things change (and boy, do I hope they do) Cartoon Network intends to put FMA into an afternoon slot, a la DBZ. Which means that FUNimation is going to be "localizing" it with an 8-12 demographic in mind.

What? Okay, for one, Cartoon Network moved all of their Toonami anime titles to an evening Saturday slot. Afternoons are for the much younger audience now. Secondly, FUNi is not 4Kids. They will not "butcher" or "heavily localise" a title just for a TV run, and though it may need to be somewhat edited to fit Toonami's content setup (because really, I'd be surprised if it went to Adult Swim), it will still be released completely uncut in DVD format.

redbeangirl wrote:
They might as well rename it "Happy Fun Puppy Alchemist," considering what they're probably going to do to it.

By "what they're probably going to do to it," I'm sure you mean "release it unedited on DVD and give it a mild editing job for TV," right? Because...odds are in favour of that happening.

Come off your childish "ZOMG FUNI R BAD PEEPS!!!!111" soapbox and have yourself a little reality check, okay?

redbeangirl wrote:
Alas! It has....and my hopes are not high. -_-

Because you're still living in 1998.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
redbeangirl wrote:

Yes. Let's ALL start bitching and moaning about travesties THAT HAVEN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET. Christ.

Ya know what? I bet that it'll get a really nice CN release, minus a few edits for gore, and that'll be that. None of this "Happy Fun Puppy Alchemist" crap. The fact that you falsely assume that the show will be turned into Rainbow Fun Hour just because it'll be on CN only shows your ignorance.
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
FMA doesn't seem like it would have much appeal to the preteen set. You'd think that Cartoon Network would have learned its lesson after Rouroni Kenshin, that you can't really turn a more mature anime into something the kiddies will like. (^_*)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8