• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Madoka: Otaku.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I prefer the term man-kinder. There's something about adding a Teutonic designation that lends a whiff of respectability to an otherwise dubious status ... right? Wink

How about kinder-man? Sounds almost like a superhero now.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
It's most definitely aimed at the otaku audience. The style is bona-fide otaku bait and the story comes from a guy who makes VNs for such people.

And then everything gets flipped like a table and whatever the otaku were expecting ends up completely subverted, because the show is more of a mindscrew horror series than a magical girl one.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Getting bigger than expected and attracting an audience other than the intended ones does not redefine the show.

It does, because the people who liked it don't care what it was intended for, they see it for what it meant to them. It's still an otaku show like you said but it's more at this point.

If that were true then K-ON and Haruhi would be redefined as well. However, regardless of their sales and popularity they are still regarded as otaku shows.

Quote:
And then everything gets flipped like a table and whatever the otaku were expecting ends up completely subverted, because the show is more of a mindscrew horror series than a magical girl one.

The magical girl genre is just one genre that some otaku are interested in. Horror and mind screws also have a strong otaku backing, Higurashi, Chaos;Head, School Days, Steins;Gate. There's really no theme or genre one can use to say "this is for otaku", "this is not".

The only flipping or subverting going on is from people who are not otaku that like PMMM and detest otaku, that are now trying to reason away PMMM from the grubby hands of otaku.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I prefer the term man-kinder. There's something about adding a Teutonic designation that lends a whiff of respectability to an otherwise dubious status ... right? Wink

How about kinder-man? Sounds almost like a superhero now.

Kinder-Man was the hero of my childhood and I think now that I grew a little older he would approve of the life I lead.
Just look at me! Look at this thread from your treehouse of never ending childishness, your basement of absent authorities.
Let me enjoy my geeky giggling and bouncy boing-boing just a little longer.

edit: No really I am too young to grow up and too old to feel insecure about my entertainment.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
If that were true then K-ON and Haruhi would be redefined as well. However, regardless of their sales and popularity they are still regarded as otaku shows.

You're implying that they haven't been redefined, which I wouldn't agree with without knowing how the non-otaku Japanese feel about it. In any case I would counter with the original Gundam and NGE. Or Cowboy Bebop. Do all those Americans who loved that show define it by whom it was aimed at?

NonoAsumy wrote:
No really I am too young to grow up and too old to feel insecure about my entertainment.

Being grown up is overrated. It decreases life expectancy through wars, heart diseases and mental strain. Not to mention it is incredibly dull at times.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

You're implying that they haven't been redefined, which I wouldn't agree with without knowing how the non-otaku Japanese feel about it. In any case I would counter with the original Gundam and NGE. Or Cowboy Bebop. Do all those Americans who loved that show define it by whom it was aimed at?

American's love for specific anime plays no part in redefining a show that aired in Japan. The sooner you realize that the sooner this nonsensical thread can die.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
American's love for specific anime plays no part in redefining a show that aired in Japan. The sooner you realize that the sooner this nonsensical thread can die.

Now you're just repeating yourself. You've given no reason as to why the original intent should be the only thing that matters when defining a show and not the resulting popularity. And concerning the thread, it was doa, it was more about semantics than Madoka in the first place.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Horror and mind screws also have a strong otaku backing, Higurashi, Chaos;Head, School Days, Steins;Gate. There's really no theme or genre one can use to say "this is for otaku", "this is not".

The only flipping or subverting going on is from people who are not otaku that like PMMM and detest otaku, that are now trying to reason away PMMM from the grubby hands of otaku.

Oh please. What Otaku like cannot be neatly defined into Otaku and non-Otaku genres, which is why there isn't any clean rules as to the separation. It is the premise, style, tone and execution of all those things that really matters.

PMMM is a Type A show. The only one who can't handle the truth is you, who is deliberately missing the forest for the trees. You bury yourself in detail about all the superficial aspects; the character designs, the costumes, the drinking tea, everything else that is Moe about it. But you don't want to scratch underneath and look at the big picture. It is like thinking that Death Note must be Type B because it appeals to guys who only wish they were half as awesome as Light. But as we know, Death Note is Type A, despite being ridiculously entertaining at the same time.

Although defining Type A and Type B is tricky, I've always thought of it like this; Type A makes you think, Type B keeps you entertained. Now, of course there is massive crossover, but if you boil the series down to one attribute then what is it? A thinking show, or an enjoyment show? With PMMM the ride was certainly awesome, and the vast majority of people who finished the show got satisfaction out of it. But the show at its core was about the themes and the tone and the deconstructing.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The magical girl genre is just one genre that some otaku are interested in. Horror and mind screws also have a strong otaku backing, Higurashi, Chaos;Head, School Days, Steins;Gate. There's really no theme or genre one can use to say "this is for otaku", "this is not".

Oh! There's ArsenicSteel twisting my words into something I didn't mean! Right on schedule! 8D

Quote:

Whatever helps you think you've won the nonexistant argument.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:

If you'd know how some of the VNs are, you wouldn't be saying that. Twisted stuff, guro and such have always been type B traits. Type A is more about consistent and sophisticated cinematography. Things that seem inspired from outside anime influences.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh please. What Otaku like cannot be neatly defined into Otaku and non-Otaku genres, which is why there isn't any clean rules as to the separation. It is the premise, style, tone and execution of all those things that really matters.

I find this ironc as people in this thread have been trying to neatly redefine PMMM for 3(?) pages now.
Premise, style, tone, and execution defines genre and themes but that's not pertinent to this discussion as otaku is not a genre or theme that can be neatly defined.

Quote:

PMMM is a Type A show. The only one who can't handle the truth is you, who is deliberately missing the forest for the trees.

I am the only one, right.
Have you read this thread thoroughly?
If you want to continue discussing this can you please not cram blatantly incorrect statements into your posts. I know you have issues with blinders and hindsight bais but please don't try to tell bold-faced lies.

Quote:
You bury yourself in detail about all the superficial aspects; the character designs, the costumes, the drinking tea, everything else that is Moe about it. But you don't want to scratch underneath and look at the big picture. It is like thinking that Death Note must be Type B because it appeals to guys who only wish they were half as awesome as Light. But as we know, Death Note is Type A, despite being ridiculously entertaining at the same time.

I have not buried myself in superficial details as I have been trying to kept it pretty damn simple. PMMM was targeted at otaku and the producers wanted to deconstruct the magical girl genre, thus was born an otaku show that had reached higher highs than expected. The what, why, and how it was does is what you're trying to use to complicate the matter.

If we are using Type A/Type B as seen in 2ch then those terms both are still classifications of otaku, that are being extended to now classify shows. Type A is basically the artsy fartsy type who's always in search of deeper meanings and Type B is the kind of fan that just likes aesthetics and will support shows just because they like the colors used in the title. You will probably need to use "non-Otaku" for your arguments instead of the terms 2ch invented to describe the different kinds of otaku.

Quote:
Although defining Type A and Type B is tricky, I've always thought of it like this; Type A makes you think, Type B keeps you entertained.

What an odd and limiting way of thinking. Since being entertained and being thought provoking are not mutually exclusive I can imagine that your guidelines have left you quite confused at times.

Quote:
Now, of course there is massive crossover, but if you boil the series down to one attribute then what is it? A thinking show, or an enjoyment show? With PMMM the ride was certainly awesome, and the vast majority of people who finished the show got satisfaction out of it. But the show at its core was about the themes and the tone and the deconstructing.

I know what the show is about. Simply stating obvious facts and mixing in your opinion doesn't turn your opinion into fact. The themes and tones in PMMM aren't anything that repel otaku, it's probably that opposite. Looking over the anime that are regarded as deconstructions would seem that category is especially attractive to otaku.

jl07045 wrote:

Now you're just repeating yourself. You've given no reason as to why the original intent should be the only thing that matters when defining a show and not the resulting popularity. And concerning the thread, it was doa, it was more about semantics than Madoka in the first place.

The intended audience is all the matters when trying to pigeon-hole a show into a category that is determined by audience. That's my reason. My reason makes the following a true statement; SpongeBob is a kids show regardless of the number of non-kids who enjoy it. Now replace SpongeBob and kids with PMMM and otaku. Why would I need further reasoning when my statement would remain accurate so long as I don't convolute matters with unrelated details.

Here's another one for you. Adults who like SpongeBob don't mind being seen as a kid at heart. Yes, this one is a bit more assuming but stay with me. The replacements I would need to use would be PMMM and otaku/man-child. Naturally this statement wouldn't hold up after the changes but to me the reasons it wouldn't hold up is why I'm stuck in this damn thread going in circles with people.

TheSwedishElf wrote:
Whatever helps you think you've won the nonexistant argument.

Huzzah! Internet kudos for everyone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I have not buried myself in superficial details as I have been trying to kept it pretty damn simple. PMMM was targeted at otaku and the producers wanted to deconstruct the magical girl genre, thus was born an otaku show that had reached higher highs than expected. The what, why, and how it was does is what you're trying to use to complicate the matter.

That right seems a very simple statement that a concesses or diagreement would fulfill the original point of this thread.

And I am really getting sick of this fight over whether it is a type A or B show, I don't quite know what exactly is th definitions, but this fight seems as pointless as defining moe. I will try to see if we can simplify things, was it ment to be serious, or was it meant to be cute fluff? Lets look at episode 10, it is meant to look like fluff but obviously serious.

Was it plot driven, or was it driven by (for a lack of better term) plot? Who can pick out a filler episode?
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Although defining Type A and Type B is tricky, I've always thought of it like this; Type A makes you think, Type B keeps you entertained. Now, of course there is massive crossover, but if you boil the series down to one attribute then what is it? A thinking show, or an enjoyment show? With PMMM the ride was certainly awesome, and the vast majority of people who finished the show got satisfaction out of it. But the show at its core was about the themes and the tone and the deconstructing.

PMMM certainly didn't make me think much. I feel as if your thinking too much. It's like analyzing a novel/song/book, trying to find a hidden meaning or agenda that was hidden by the writer, when in truth the writer might have just written the novel/song/book with a hangover 2 hours before the deadline.

To me PMMM was definetely more right in the face.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The intended audience is all the matters when trying to pigeon-hole a show into a category that is determined by audience. That's my reason. [..] Why would I need further reasoning when my statement would remain accurate so long as I don't convolute matters with unrelated details.

I can assume that Amagee just didn't want to be associated with otaku stereotypes for liking that show, but that's not the case for me and probably not Veers as well. We'were so saying: "So what? It doesn't just attract otaku and "an otaku show" shouldn't be the thing that defines it." So, yes, it could be said that I'm convoluting matters if you're simply set to have an opinion for just that narrow point of view. Why am I convoluting matters? Here's an example: Hamlet was made for 16/17th century English theatre going audiences. Is this what defines that play or the actual subject matter and the actual appeal? While I'm not trying to compare both works in quality, my argument stands for Madoka as well. And that is a very related detail even to the opening post, because that I think is how we should look at things. So I would say you're just helping to pigeon-hole the issue yourself even if that is not your intent.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
And Romeo and Juliet is moe type b otaku shit because it's about a cute young woman suffering, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7