• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Madoka Magica Film Aimed for Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
in addition to being a phenomenon similar to Haruhi and breaking sales records -- I don't think its massive popularity will fade that easily or abruptly, at least not enough to effect sales. With that said, look at Haruhi: once a cultural phenomena akin to Christianity in its influence. Now?...

I don't know about Christianity, but I am still very interested on Haruhi Suzumiya. I have read the description of the last five novels on Wikipedia, and they seem interesting. I would love to see more anime from it.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

I don't think it's so much of a problem concerning poor memory, or even short attention span. One could site a body of research demonstrating the superior cognitive abilities of the Japanese, that would completely contradict that notion.

I didn't mean short memories from an actual mental standpoint, but rather from a consumer standpoint. But, you brought up an example that largely reinforces what I was trying to say. And heck, taking a slight detour of topic and focusing on Haruhi for just a moment, as evidenced there the perceived wrongs of even the voice actresses in a show can completely derail its popularity. Had Aya Hirano not done the unspeakable (sarcasm levels to max) and had a sex life, perhaps Haruhi would still be insanely popular. Not to say it's not without its fans still, but it's a far cry from what it was. Similarly, if any of the Madoka voice actresses would suddenly admit to having boyfriends, or worse, having sex, then I'd expect that Madoka's popularity would tank to a great degree.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
First found out about this through some fan's posting of the article on Aniplex's facebook wall some ten hours ago. Interestingly, according to the poster, "director Shinbo Akiyuki said he was worried that anime has been out of mainstream entertainment and hoped Madoka will attract the attention of the general public."

Which strikes me as an odd thing to say, considering just how.. BIG Madoka seems to already have been, even with the "general public" taking into account. It even seems a bit egotistical to say when phrased in this way (or am I misreading something here?), as if Shibo's been bothered by how Madoka doesn't adorn some magazine cover every month now, like it used to throughout most-all of 2011.

Hold on. I think you misinterpreted what he said. I could read the Japanese if I had it, but I'm confident that your English sentence is true because...

Quote:
"director Shinbo Akiyuki said he was worried that anime has been out of mainstream entertainment and hoped Madoka will attract the attention of the general public."

...He was talking about anime in general being out of mainstream entertainment (as opposed to saying "the anime," which would be refering directly to Madoka). Shinbo, Urobuchi, Iwakawa, and the lot of them were surprised when Madoka became a phenomenon that pulled in viewers outside of the usual anime fandom. It bypassed niche entertainment barriers and moved people who had little to no interest in anime outside the usual Ghibli stuff to tears. Shinbo has had the hope ever since then that Madoka could be a gateway into bringing anime in general back into the mainstream it was before it became "niche" and specialized. It was an unexpected development, but he has been inspired by it ever since.

I should note that while series like One Piece and other mainstream long-running manga and anime are popular among older people, they still don't receive the same kind of popular, widespread treatment that other niches of entertainment, like TV dramas, radio shows, and pop music do. Madoka certainly isn't as popular or widespread as One Piece or Doraemon, but considering the actual genre that Madoka is in, and who it initially appeals to, I don't think it would be ridiculous to say that it has the potential to break the niche entertainment barriers Shinbo intends to break. However, I think the final verdict might lie, in part, within the hands of the fandom. Too much attention to the wrong parts of the series (like the yuri service, Mami's breasts, moe magical girls, guro, etc.) could turn off the general public before they got a chance to care about it.

[EDIT] Oh, yes. And on the subject of otaku having "short-term memory," that has become such a misinformed topic that I really can't ignore it anymore. For one, Madoka is still going strong in Japan, so it hasn't left the majority's thoughts yet (it's only been a year--even the not-so-popular stuff holds on longer than this). And two, I believe the real culprit of the "newer anime dominating polls" lies in the fact that time moves on--along with peoples' feelings. Otaku don't have "short-term memory." People just have to remember that the "good 'ol 90's" we all loved and cherished has had its time, and now, the newer generation either hasn't seen our stuff or has been bombarded with "WHAT'S NEW IS COOL" merchandise and gadgets, just as we had been. It's a sign of times changing, just as it's always been. If there was any decrease in the "reverence" of shows beyond one's time, that's not the fault of the "new otaku." We just have to live with it because nothing is permanent.

tl;dr -- too bad. Read it or forever be ignorant! Mwahahahahaaaa!!!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Too much attention to the wrong parts of the series (like the yuri service, Mami's breasts, moe magical girls, guro, etc.)

That is....a very specific aspect.

Is there a particular reason you mentioned Mami's breasts in particular?
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Too much attention to the wrong parts of the series (like the yuri service, Mami's breasts, moe magical girls, guro, etc.)

That is....a very specific aspect.

Is there a particular reason you mentioned Mami's breasts in particular?

If you hadn't noticed, her breasts are the focus of some of the fan jokes that have become viral in both America and Japan (among other countries)--another focus being spoiler[her head.] While this is all fine and dandy on one side of the internet, when it spills out into the public, it tends to make people who aren't interested in that kind of stuff back away. I'm all for spreading the word, but I'd rather people hear that it's a respectable series and not a moe-fest of cute girls and fanservice.
And in my experience so far, that seems to be the main thing that gets out into the public, along with major spoilers (which may or may not bring in newcomers, but still ruins their experience of the series). Take it from about half of my friends who won't touch it because they honestly believe it is another "K-ON!" phenomenon of otaku lust... but even in Japan, those who hadn't seen the anime by chance while it was airing are mostly hearing of it as something that should stay within the confines of the "dirty" otaku mind. I can cite that by personal experience as well--at least, where I stayed in Japan.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I stay away from the fan community to avoid spoilers.

Memes never make sense, it seems. I mean, Mami has somewhat large breasts compared to the rest of the Magicae, but I can't see how a joke could have arisen from that.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yeah, I stay away from the fan community to avoid spoilers.

Memes never make sense, it seems. I mean, Mami has somewhat large breasts compared to the rest of the Magicae, but I can't see how a joke could have arisen from that.

^Which is a good thing if you haven't finished a series.

In the English community, people call her breasts "Mamis/Mammies," which is a meme. In Japan, it's less of a meme and more of a joke played out in fanart and such.
In both English and Japanese communities, the running joke is that she actually wished for bigger breasts, or that she used her magic to enhance their size, since it is strange that a middle school girl would have such big breasts in the first place. That abnormality in the series caused the joke, since it's easily noticeable to a good portion of viewers.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Isn't Mami near a high-schooler, though?
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Oh. Isn't Mami near a high-schooler, though?

I believe she is in her final year of Middle School, but I can't remember what year she is. Her age was never released.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
First found out about this through some fan's posting of the article on Aniplex's facebook wall some ten hours ago. Interestingly, according to the poster, "director Shinbo Akiyuki said he was worried that anime has been out of mainstream entertainment and hoped Madoka will attract the attention of the general public."

Which strikes me as an odd thing to say, considering just how.. BIG Madoka seems to already have been, even with the "general public" taking into account. It even seems a bit egotistical to say when phrased in this way (or am I misreading something here?), as if Shibo's been bothered by how Madoka doesn't adorn some magazine cover every month now, like it used to throughout most-all of 2011.

Not sure even Madoka penetrated all that deep into the J-mainstream, though it's certainly big among otaku. People may have heard of it, but that may be about it.............. Confused

Chagen46 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Well, looking at it from the Japanese side of things, their otaku are notorious for having very short memories. Heck, I guess ours are too, but it seems moreso with the Japanese. If you ever look at any of their ranking lists, you usually don't see very many shows that are more than a couple years old.

Now, do I think that Madoka will fall by the wayside that quickly? No, I really don't think so, but just pointing out that his fears aren't necessarily unfounded.

That happens in all media fandom. I like to call it the NORAOAYO (No One Remembers Anything Over A Year Old) effect.

Furthermore, J-fandom is bombarded by 40+ new series every season, fast and furious concurrently. Not much time to let sit and marinate; gotta keep moving just to keep up. While in the West, the familiarity seeps thru in levels, not all at once, so there's always people who are new to it at different time intervals, and that prolongs its time in the limelight.

504NOSON2 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Well, looking at it from the Japanese side of things, their otaku are notorious for having very short memories. Heck, I guess ours are too, but it seems moreso with the Japanese. If you ever look at any of their ranking lists, you usually don't see very many shows that are more than a couple years old.

I don't think it's so much of a problem concerning poor memory, or even short attention span. One could site a body of research demonstrating the superior cognitive abilities of the Japanese, that would completely contradict that notion.

It's most likely related to the Japanese culture of having the latest, most recent product (whether it be a technological innovation; some fashion, dietary, or internet-related craze; a production of popular media, etc).

Yeah, households would throw out perfectly-working washing machines just because a newer version with fancy new tricks become available. (One could conceivably live off picking up such "trash" and never have to pay for appliances again......... and some actually do.........) It becomes a problem for local municipalities figuring out where to store all those space-hogging trashed appliances before recycling or reprocessing.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Going by how the series ended, I wonder what the 3rd movie is going to be about. If I had to guess I'd say it'd be set sometime in the middle of the series and be a generic good guy vs bad guy (magical girls vs witch in this case) anime movie. spoiler[Madoka would still be human] if that theory happened, so who knows if they'd want to do that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Going by how the series ended, I wonder what the 3rd movie is going to be about. If I had to guess I'd say it'd be set sometime in the middle of the series and be a generic good guy vs bad guy (magical girls vs witch in this case) anime movie. spoiler[Madoka would still be human] if that theory happened, so who knows if they'd want to do that.

Your post was kind of "spoliorific." If I were making the third movie, Ispoiler[would do a continuation of the series. I would be cool to learn about what exactly happened to Madoka. The ending of the series if fine, but I was a bit perplexed by it].
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
look at Haruhi: once a cultural phenomena akin to Christianity in its influence. Now?...

Did I sleep through the Haruhi Crusades?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Your post was kind of "spoliorific." If I were making the third movie, Ispoiler[would do a continuation of the series. I would be cool to learn about what exactly happened to Madoka. The ending of the series if fine, but I was a bit perplexed by it].

If you consider me implying that everything wraps up nicely and that there's no real way to continue it from there as a spoiler, then sure.
spoiler[She pretty much hangs out in space/time and prevents witches from being made. Continuing from that would probably be more confusing than it needed to be.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2