• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
As long as we're declaring projected scores, I'm at a piddly 10 points on this round, did not do so well in predictions. Oh well, I guess it's a respectable score.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm kind of tired tonight, so no chance of seeing the official minigame scores before 1pm Eastern tomorrow.

Preliminary breakdown:
Marie maintains 1st place, while Key slides up to second. There's a four-way tie for third (dtm, bonbons, cowboy, and mow), then rainbow, olliff, and velocet follow in three-way tie at seventh. And that's all within a range of four points.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Congratulations are in order for mow123 and Cow_Boy-Be_Bop, who both got fifteen points this round. Since they are tied with me, they would have needed fifteen points each to get from eleven to twenty-six. That's assuming I really did get twelve this time, but I think I'm right.

Is my maths correct? Because if it is, then that was a very good round for those two.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
Official results can now be found here. We had a couple of total blow-outs this group, but also a plethora of close contests, with a whopping seven matches decided by either one or three votes.

Next round will be up shortly. Please note, one of the participants for this round - Reinhard from Legend of the Galactic Heroes - has no Guide entry because a) I couldn't find any substantive info online to support his case for being here and b) whoever nominated and second him never bothered to write an entry for him despite my requests. If someone who has seen the series wishes to do a write-up on him, PM it to me and I'll add it to the Guide.

Also, by no later than Wednesday I'll be posting a list of participants in Group D that I'd like to see someone else do the Guide entry for. HEED THIS LIST, especially if you nominated one of the people on this list. If I'm having to hunt down info online at the last minute about a character I don't know, it's not going to be good for the nominated character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group C is now closed.

Thanks to dtm42 and rainbowcourage for help on the pictures this time around. Results are below.

Guide: Group C Guide

Group C-1
Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass
vs.
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach

Winner: Lelouch
Total: 17-5

Group C-2
Reinhard, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Loki, Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok

Winner: Reinhard

Group C-3
Nabiki Tendo, Ranma 1/2
vs.
Szilard Quates, Baccano!

Winner: Nabiki
Total: 15-7

Group C-4
Ken, Digimon Adventure 02
vs.
Count D, Pet Shop of Horrors

Winner: Ken

Group C-5
Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
vs.
Ginko, Mushishi

Winner: Ginko
Total: 19-3

Group C-6
Lupin, Lupin III franchise
vs.
Ichiro "Icchan" Mihara, Angelic Layer

Winner: Lupin
Total: 16-6

Group C-7
Juzuwa Benika, Kurenai
vs.
Gendo Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Winner: Gendo Ikari
Total: 12-10

Group C-8
Griffith, Berserk
vs.
Schneizel El Britannia, Code Geass

Winner: Griffith

Group C-9
Lumiere, Kiddy Grade
vs.
Hajime Saito, Ruroni Kenshin

Winner: Lumiere
Total: 14-8

Group C-10
Teletha “Tessa” Testarossa, Full Metal Panic! franchise
vs.
Kansaki Cisca, Starship Operators

Winner: Tessa

Group C-11
Kiichi Goto, Patlabor franchise
vs.
Twenty Faces, Chiko Heiress of the Phantom Thief

Winner: Kiichi Goto

Group C-12
Inez Fressange, Martian Succesor Nadesico
vs.
Kazukiyo Gowa, Gasaraki

Winner: Kazukiyo Gowa

Group C-13
Yuki Nagato, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
vs.
Amshel, Blood+

Winner: Yuki

Group C-14
Nico Robin, One Piece
vs.
Kazuya Shibuya, Ghost Hunt

Winner: Nico
Total: 14-8

Group C-15
Hotaru Imai, Gakuen Alice
vs.
Nagi Kirima, Boogiepop Phantom

Winner: Nagi Kirima

Group C-16
Koushiro "Izzy" Izumi, Digimon Adventure 02
vs.
Johan Liebert, Monster

Winner: Johan
Total: 19-3

Last edited by Key on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
vs.
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach

Kisuke Urahara gets my vote not only because I'm watching Bleach and like the guy but the few episodes of CG that I saw, Lulu didn't do anything for me.

Group C-2
vs.

Loki gets my vote because I've seen the anime and that's who I voted for in the mini-game.

Group C-3
Nabiki Tendo, Ranma 1/2
vs.
Szilard Quates, Baccano!

Nabiki Tendo mini-game

Group C-4
vs.

Count D not only because I can't bring myself to vote for someone from Digimon but because it's a Pet Shop of Horrors, you've got to be intelligently sinister to run something like that.

Group C-5
vs.
Ginko, Mushishi

As much as I hate to do this but Capt. Masked Freak gets the vote here. He may be a sicko but he is smart as hell.

Group C-6
vs.

Icchan gets my vote here because my fangirl side demands it and his "punishments" are funny!

Group C-7
Juzuwa Benika, Kurenai
vs.

While a certain character of NGE annoys me to no end, his father has to get my vote here...Gendo Ikari

Group C-8
Griffith, Berserk
vs.

With a name like Schneizel you either have to become a tremendous jock or insanely brilliant to be able to get even with those who make fun of your name.

Group C-9
Lumiere, Kiddy Grade
vs.

Lumiere because this seemingly underage wine aficionado is so darn cute.

Group C-10
vs.

Tessa gets my vote because she's the one who came up with the idea of the Dannan.

Group C-11
vs.

Coin toss...Kiichi Goto

Group C-12
vs.
Kazukiyo Gowa, Gasaraki

Inez Fressange because I know her and she is smart. Certainly smarter than Yurika.

Group C-13
vs.
Amshel, Blood+

Yuki Nagato because I know her and she's spoiler[computer/android]

Group C-14
Nico Robin, One Piece
vs.

Kazuya Shibuya because I've read the manga, I'm about to watch the anime and I don't like One Piece

Group C-15
vs.

Hotaru Imai because I'm reading the manga.

Group C-16
vs.
Johan Liebert, Monster

This one is so bloody obvious and if it isn't a shutout I will be flabergasted...Johan.
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
All brackets have been updated at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Mini-games score will be updated as soon as I get the info from Dorcas_Aurelia
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Here is my little campaign for Reinhard from Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Reinhard proved to be a cunning tactician and a charismatic leader. He became a Rear Admiral at the age of 18 which means he set the record for the youngest Rear Admiral in the history of the Empire. He tried to seize the power after the Kaiser death and he succeeded in it. Even thought nobles who opposed him had a numerical advantage Reinhard was able to win in the civil war because he earned soldiers’ and ordinary people’s respect, and thus, Reinhard succeeded in changing the ossified Empire and he removed aristocracy from power.

Lelouch is a bit similar in character traits and in his situation to Reinhard. They are both smart and charismatic. Reinhard wants to seize the power so as to liberate his sister. They both hated their fathers and they both are not found of aristocracy. However, unlike Lelouch, Reinhard surrounded himself with intelligent people, Oberstein, Reuenthal, Kessler etc all of them would perfectly suit to this tournament. If one of Reinhard’s admirals were to have betrayed him, it would have been because the admiral was an ambitious person. Also Reinhard, unlike Lelouch, never had a superpower that would help him to achieve his goals and newest colourful mecha that would destroy half of the enemy army. Everything he could cont on was his own intelligence.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
All brackets have been updated at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Er, updated? I don't notice any change in the page from what it was before. No results, no vote counts, and no pictures of winners. I'm struggling here.

I think I'll delay voting for a few days. I need to think out some good arguments for the characters I want to vote for (and the ones I want to vote against). Besides, from what we have just witnessed, delaying your vote can be a good strategic move, though I'm certainly not going to leave it to the last few hours.

Aylinn wrote:

I take it that should Lelouch and Reinhard face off against each other, you will be voting for Reinhard? If so, good, because that's what I plan on doing. Lelouch is good, no, he's brilliant. But, he owes a huge portion of his success to his Geass.

Light Yagami also suffers from being indebted to a supernatural power, though he did display incredible mental acrobatics to use it. Yes, I'm in before someone tries to use my argument against Lelouch in an attack on Light. Not quite the same level.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
And another batch is up for voting:

Match C-1: Lelouch Lamperogue (Code Geass)
Having a level head with battle strategies, outwitting his foes, and leading those in support of his cause should carry Lelouch a good way into this tournament.

Match C-2: Reinhard von Lohengramm (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
I've seen neither anime, but some forums I've been to talk about Reinhard being a capable leader. So, I'm voting Reinhard based on my whims.

Match C-3: Nabiki Tendo (Ranma 1/2)
More titles I'm not familiar with. But from what I've looked up on Nabiki, she uses her cleverness to obtain money or just personally amuse herself. So, I vote for cleverness in this match.

Match C-4: Ken (Digimon Adventures 02)
There's more to Ken's intelligence than what I've read on Count D. All the count seems to do is just tempt folks to a contract and then see them rip it up. Ken's terrorized an entire world while Count D only seems to go after his customers. So I vote Ken this round.

Match C-5: Ginko (Mushishi)
I'm in favor of people who set their minds anywhere outside the battlefield. Seeing as Mayuri's talents are focued only while in battle, I vote Ginko this round.

Match C-6: Lupin (Lupin III)
He's one of anime's most clever and witty thieves. He deserves to go further in the tourney in my opinion.

Match C-7: Gendo Ikari (Evangelion)
Gendo's pulled enough strings at making use of people as his pawns for his own gain. It shows much more elaborance in intelligence than what I seen from Benika.

Match C-8: Schneizel el Britannia (Code Geass)
Manipulator and political tension reader for the win.

Match C-9: Lumiere (Kiddy Grade)
Knowing how to plan ahead and make use of computers earn Lumiere my vote this round.

Match C-10: Tessa Tessarossa (Full Metal Panic)
She may look like a clutz, but this gal packs enough intelligence and skills in efficient battle strategies and leadership to lead those serving under her to victory. Kansaki can't compete with that.

Match C-11: Kiichi Goto (Patlabor)
If he can intimidate his superiors with his intelligence and manipulation, then Kiichi sounds like a guy I should vote for.

Match C-12: Inez Fressange (Nadesico) <---- VOTE CHANGED!!
Inez is doing better in voting than I thought. So considering she's my mini-game choice, I changing my vote back to her in case Gowa tries making a comeback.

Match C-13: Yuki Nagato (Haruhi Suzumiya)
Ridiculously intelligent and adept with computers thanks to her connection to the Universal Thought Data Entity. Amshel just isn't at her level.

Match C-14: Nico Robin (One Piece)
Having to survive and deceive using her sharp wits and vast intelligence makes Robin seem like a stronger choice.

Match C-15: Hotaru Imai (Gakuen Alice)
First time I've heard of someone inventing and manipulating in an anime series. Seems like an interesting choice compared to the mystery focused Nagi.

Match C-16: Johan Liebert (Monster)
The man pulling the strings of Dr. Tenma and those who he comes across. Manipulator triumphs over the computer genius for this match.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Aylinn wrote:

I take it that should Lelouch and Reinhard face off against each other, you will be voting for Reinhard? If so, good, because that's what I plan on doing. Lelouch is good, no, he's brilliant. But, he owes a huge portion of his success to his Geass.

Much as I like and consider Lelouch to be brilliant, I will vote for Reinhard if they face off against each other. Because of the reasons I stated above.

I see there is nothing about Reinhard in guide

Reinhard, Legend of the Galactic Heroes franchise
Type: Genius Tactician, Leader
picture
Support: Reinhard’s tactical abilities allowed him to be quickly promoted and become Rear Admiral at the very young age. His elaborated plans and proficiency at executing them enabled him to defeat Free Planets Alliance in battles many times and keep casualties to the minimum. His intelligence let him solve mysterious death of one of the students from his former school even though he had no experience and intention to work as detective.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
Time for my votes...

Group C-1
vs.
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach

No doubt in my mind, here: Urahara Kisuke is an understated genius, one of the major actors in the whole mess of conspiracies and power struggles in Soul Society, despite his having ostensibly removed himself from it. spoiler[In his time as a captain, he managed to produce one of the most powerful items in the universe, an item that is the root cause of most of the trouble facing Ichigo and his friends. Essentially, it's all his fault.] He is sneaky, clever, underhanded and full of surprises, and I vote for him without reservation.

Group C-2
vs.

More of an anti-vote: Loki didn't ever impress me much, so Reinhard gets my vote.

Group C-3
Nabiki Tendo, Ranma 1/2
vs.
Szilard Quates, Baccano!

Oh, no question: Tendo Nabiki is a perfectly charming little moneygrubber, with a plan for every situation, and a gimlet eye fixed on her goal: money.

Group C-4
vs.

With no real opinion on either of these, I'm going to be quixotic and vote for the DigiEmperor: Ken gets my vote.

Group C-5
vs.
Ginko, Mushishi

My vote goes to Ginko, partly because he is a smart man (though his intelligence is more emotional intelligence than logic, it sometimes seems to me -- then again, that is the kind of intelligence that his vocation demands), and partly because I don't think of Captain Kurotsuchi as very intelligent. He's more of a tinkerer, playing around with spiritual/biological devices, and probably building on a foundation left behind by the infinitely more capable Urahara.

Group C-6
vs.

Hmm. Tough choice, but my vote goes to Mihara Ichiro.

Group C-7
Jūzawa Benika, Kurenai
vs.

Absolutely no problem here: Jūzawa Benika is a fantastically gifted leader, with a cool command of every situation and the ability to see the hidden potential in others. That she does all this, and manages to make her subordinates so devoted to her that it deserves the name of 'love', is a testament to her great talents.

Key, you really need to check your spelling -- it's "Jūzawa", not "Juzuwa".

Group C-8
Griffith, Berserk
vs.

No strong opinion here, so I'll let myself be guided by my dislike-verging-on-loathing for Berserk. My vote goes to Schneizel El Britannia.

Group C-9
Lumiere, Kiddy Grade
vs.

Coin toss: Hajime Saito.

Group C-10
vs.

I nominated Kanzaki, and I stand by him. Thrust into a no-win situation, he nevertheless manages to make full use of the assets available to him, and extract a success, against all odds. The cost is high, but without him, failure would have been assured. As a capable planner, he makes use of his crew to the full extent of their talents, and executes some amazing military successes. The fact that he is young and untested just makes his achievement all the more notable and impressive.

Group C-11
vs.

Voting for one of the people on my top-10 list of "Anime characters I'd most want to be like": Kiichi Goto. This guy is cool in every sense of the word, and I want to have his children.

Group C-12
vs.
Kazukiyo Gowa, Gasaraki

Coin toss: Inez Fressange VOTE CHANGE to: Kazukiyo Gowa, on the strength of arguments made by several players, especially JesuOtaku.

Group C-13
vs.
Amshel, Blood+

No real favourite, so Nagato Yuki gets my vote by default -- I have a weakness for sweet kit.

Group C-14
Nico Robin, One Piece
vs.

Voting for my favourite One Piece character: Nico Robin. Can you imagine what her life must have been like, on the run since childhood? To come out of that as a survivor with a Plan-with-a-capital-P is an amazing feat in itself.

Group C-15
vs.

Voting for Imai Hotaru, because her smarts go beyond robotics.

Group C-16
vs.
Johan Liebert, Monster

Yah, everybody who has seen this match has said the same thing, and I agree: Johan Liebert is a slam-dunk in this round.

- abunai

Last edited by abunai on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass
Reasons: Though it looks like this is going to be a tough match for one of the top seeds, I still am inclined to go with him, more for familiarity than anything else.

Group C-2
Voting for: Reinhard, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Reasons: The "guide" entry posted here (which I assume will soon be in the main guide).

Group C-3
Voting for: Szilard Quates, Baccano!
Reasons: Guide.

Group C-4
Voting for: Ken, Digimon Adventure 02
Reasons: I love him. And he also does sound smarter.

Group C-5
Voting for: Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach

Group C-6
Voting for: Lupin, Lupin III franchise

Group C-7
Voting for: Gendo Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Group C-8
Voting for: Schneizel El Britannia, Code Geass
Reasons: The Guide makes them sound about equal, so I'm going with my inner fangirl who loves Schneizel, even if I wish his characterization had ended differently in R2.

Group C-9
Voting: Lumiere, Kiddy Grade

Group C-10
Voting for: Teletha “Tessa” Testarossa, Full Metal Panic! franchise

Group C-11
Voting for: Twenty Faces, Chiko Heiress of the Phantom Thief

Group C-12
Voting for: Inez Fressange, Martian Succesor Nadesico

Group C-13
Voting for: Yuki Nagato, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Group C-14
Voting for: Nico Robin, One Piece

Group C-15
Voting for: Nagi Kirima, Boogiepop Phantom

Group C-16
Voting for: Johan Liebert, Monster
Reasons: Guide (but don't worry Izzy, I still love you!)
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote
VOTE FOR LUPIN, THE GENTLEMAN THIEF, IN C-6

Why? Because he is awesome. He demonstrates his book smarts/research ability in most every episode of the TV show. It's always Lupin who explains to the group the history of their mark. (why it's important, who has it etc.) He also has foresight. There is one episode where he steals a secret procedure to make mass productions diamonds that are indistinguishable from the real thing. Why? Not to make diamonds, but to make sure nobody flooded the market and made all the diamonds he's previously stolen worthless.
He's also a master strategist. He almost always plans the heist. (Sometimes Fujiko "employs" him) And plan he does, to great detail, with all manner of gadgetry. From your basic SCUBA gear, black clothing, and rappelling gear to RC cars, hot air balloons, enormous kites, bats (the animal variety), yo-yos, exploding guns, marbles, fake godzillae, chewing gum, water pistols and magnets. We'll leave his "Master of Disguise" moniker for a second push, later.
He's also very good at reading people. Ok villain, you may have planted a homing device on Lupin, but he already knows and he's going to play you for a fool. What's that eccentric millionaire recluse? You have an unbeatable safe? Not so, because Lupin has taken your prize already. Don't believe me? Better check then. ::YOINK:: And Zenigata? Lupin could trick Zenigata into watering his plants while he goes touring the European countryside for a month.
If that isn't enough to sway you, he has impeccable style and awesome sideburns. Plus he's rich, so if you vote for him he'll give you a dollar.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
Group C-1: Lelouch Lamperouge. Simply because he is able to catch onto things, and from what I've seen of him, he is able to outsmart and outwit in some tight circumstances.

Group C-2: Loki. Mythological god trapped in a kids' body trying to solve mysteries. A little bit familiar with another character, but more epic.

Group C-3: Nabiki Tendo. The cuter, smart one.

Group C-4: Ken. He definitely redeemed himself after what happened to his friend, and proved himself a formidable ally towards the end.

Group C-5: Ginko. Looks like a smart guy who's laid back, which isn't that bad.

Group C-6: Lupin. I currently have my chops growing in.

Group C-7: Gendo Ikari. Anybody who crosses paths with this man is going to be Gendowned!!

Group C-8: Griffith. With no doubt, Griffith is one of the most brilliant minds I have seen in anime. At such a young age as he is, while being able to command an army on top of gaining their respect, and winning decisive battles that makes for the destinies of kingdoms. That's intelligence right there.

Group C-9: Lumiere. She's got some smart stuff in that little head of hers, but not only that, she's a wine connoisseur. She knows her wine.

Group C-10: Kansaki Cisca. Not too fond of the FMP franchise.

Group C-11: Nijuumensou. I remember watching a live action show of him versus a famous detective. Not only that, he was played by Beat Takeshi, so in a way I am a fan of Nijuumensou.

Group C-12: Kazukiyo Gowa. Instinct.

Group C-13: Yuki Nagato. Not really going to argue this one here.

Group C-14: Nico Robin. Voting for her because she is one of my favorite characters from One Piece. Not only that, she's a hot intelligent character.

Group C-15: Hotaru Imai. Instinct.

Group C-16: Johan Liebert. This guy is not only intelligent, but scary as well.

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 90