• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-11-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
Except you're forgetting the standard of English isn't exactly high in Japan, and that the title was written in English all along. The guy who did the logo was a designer, not someone trained to pick up spelling errors (when it comes to languages you arent completely faithful in, this can happen at varying times and what not).
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I don't buy the :it was a typo and ADV fixed it" arguement. The "It sounded too much like Chrono Trigger/Cross" arguement makes WAY more sense, especially since "Chrno" is not a logical mispelling of "Korono", the original creator would have to be completely clueless about English, as would every editor and publisher involved in the project, to make so massive a mistake, and enough people know English in Japan to make that virtually impossible.

I sure as hell thought it was a Chrono Trigger spin-off myself when I first heard of the series.

English mistakes are common in Japan, even by large, established companies. You obviously haven't ever been here.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I don't buy the :it was a typo and ADV fixed it" arguement. The "It sounded too much like Chrono Trigger/Cross" arguement makes WAY more sense, especially since "Chrno" is not a logical mispelling of "Korono", the original creator would have to be completely clueless about English, as would every editor and publisher involved in the project, to make so massive a mistake, and enough people know English in Japan to make that virtually impossible.

I sure as hell thought it was a Chrono Trigger spin-off myself when I first heard of the series.
\

Okay so "what makes sense to you" trumps the owner of this site hearing that it was a typo that was too late to change from Daisuke Moriyama himself at a convention.

Truth is not subjective, buddy. It was a typo that went to the printers and was too late to change so they simply kept it. That's what Moriyama himself has confirmed. If you missed where Tempest pointed that out then I need to remind you to read the thread before responding.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, with regular English speakers, some things can be hard to miss too. I had to look twice to see that Chrno was missing an o. On a slightly unrelated note, I was at an Asian supermarket a while ago, and on the backs of a lot of foods were interestingly written English descriptions, and the spaces missing between sentences kept nagging at me. I mean, grammar is one thing, but caps and spaces is another...-_-''
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I don't buy the :it was a typo and ADV fixed it" arguement.

So you think the original manga-ka is lying though his teeth ?

Quote:
the original creator would have to be completely clueless about English, as would every editor and publisher involved in the project, to make so massive a mistake, and enough people know English in Japan to make that virtually impossible.

Have you ever been to Japan.

Bad & Mispelled English is everywhere. Even on JR trains. And in manga, there's TONS of it. WHy should this manga be any different ?
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
I don't buy the :it was a typo and ADV fixed it" arguement.

So you think the original manga-ka is lying though his teeth ?

Quote:
the original creator would have to be completely clueless about English, as would every editor and publisher involved in the project, to make so massive a mistake, and enough people know English in Japan to make that virtually impossible.

Have you ever been to Japan.

Bad & Mispelled English is everywhere. Even on JR trains. And in manga, there's TONS of it. WHy should this manga be any different ?

There's even misspelled English here on these forums even when it's our native language. And like Tempest said have you been to Japan? It's not like France where kids is mandatory to speak and read and write English I'll tell you that much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kuroki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:

And like Tempest said have you been to Japan? It's not like France where kids is mandatory to speak and read and write English I'll tell you that much.

I have. And I know that virtually every student has 6 years of English education. In Nichinan, where I visited two years ago, children started learning English in the fourth grade.

However, I'm not arguing with your explination of the Chrno mistake. If Moriyama Daisuke said it himself, I can't argue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4