• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Devil Is A Part-Timer! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssandulak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
So good, loving the show so far and episode 2 was more of the same awesome we got in episode 1. The ranting outside Satan's door until she eventually broke down was just hilarious. And the matter of fact way she said she was trying to kill him to the officer, and him just shrugging it off as a lover's quarrel was amazing Very Happy
This along with...maybe Oreimo and Suisei are the shows I eagerly await each week so far. Titan too, but only a bit less on that one because I already know what happens (having read the manga), these are all surprises every week.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I too didn't notice how stacked Chiho was in the first eppie, but I sure have now.

That's the first thing I noticed, yup. Big, round ... eyes, yup. Where were you looking?

As per to the second episode, I thought it was a fine development though I wonder if part of this body change is going to include something about "true nature"; the heroine vulnerable, the villain noble. There's a bit of a hand wave about Emi's procuring an identity and a job that pretty much demands a history in customer service.

Chi's very much like a puppy and again like certain animals, she's sensitive to earthquakes. As to her room, it sounds more like it was ransacked than the epicenter of a very small quake.

I have no comment on the attack yet except to wonder how Sadou can automatically know the difference between regular bullets and magical ammo if he's never been shot at. It's not that I don't doubt he faced magical attacks before but couldn't a regular sniper have hte same affect on him?

Dullahan! The first casuality!
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda wondering why her spoiler[hair color changed] when she made it to earth. Other than that, I love it just like everyone else
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I'm kinda wondering why her spoiler[hair color changed] when she made it to earth. Other than that, I love it just like everyone else

A spoiler[change of hair colour] is kind of small compared to what happened to Satan.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
Could possibly be tied to her magic somehow? That would be my guess as Satan/Alsiel showed what happens to demons after coming to Earth when there is no/little magic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac - even as a viewer, I could see the "bullets" were glowing. Satan may not have much magic left himself, but it doesn't surprise me that he can sense magic. It's kind of like in the first eppie when Emilia could tell from across the street that he was preparing to use magic to heat up the oil for the fries.
CrisisXVII

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
Originally this show was in my maybe list of prospective anime to watch, and I'm so glad I gave it a chance. This show is one of the funniest anime I've come across.

I saw the second episode and overall it was great, the confrontation between Satan and the Hero worked so well, and the two characters create comedy gold together.

A few things bothered me though, like how much trust Satan and Emilia afford each other even though they are sworn enemies. Satan even goes so far as to spoiler[let Emilia into his apartment and then they all fall asleep without worrying about getting killed in their sleep? seems like the perfect time for a hero to easily get rid of an evil overlord and vice versa. If they all plan on returning might as well nip the threat in the bud right? ] Another thing that bothered me was the attack, you have three of the strongest magical beings trying hard to hold onto what little magic power they have left and then you have spoiler[a magic sniper who either is more powerful than those three or is not exactly worried about expending their remaining magic?] either way it seems a little off.

What I think will be interesting to see is what happens if they do all return after getting to know their enemy during a momentary truce. Will Satan still have the desire to destroy and conquer? will Emilia still have the will to kill Satan if he doesn't reform? I would love to see this scenario happen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
@CrisisXVII - not that I'm heavily invested in trying to establish logic in a comedy program, but I'll take a stab at the points you raise.

For your first one as to why Emilia and Satan are showing so much "trust" for each other. Yes, it is a little odd, but that is part of the comedic premise of the show. Two powerful arch-enemies in the other world are sort of getting along in their much weakened states in this world. On Emilia's side, she is feeling very alone in this world. As Satan points out, he and his trusty aide have each other to cope, but Emilia has no one. So even though the two guys are her sworn enemies in the other world, they are also the only two who are from her world (that she/we know of).

As for Satan - it hasn't been officially explained yet, but it seems like being in this world has changed his personality. Yes, he pays lip service to taking over Japan, etc, but it seems he is genuinely a nice guy. I think this will eventually be explained.

And as for the magic sniper being more magically powerful ... well, we still don't know the deal there, but it's possible that will get explained eventually. When something new is introduced it is never a good idea to assume automatically that there is something "off" about it until you see more episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
he was preparing to use magic to heat up the oil for the fries.

I think that statement pretty much sums up why I'm loving this so much. Very Happy

On the other hand, I think I'm in the minority when I say I wish Emilia wasn't such a classic tsundere (I'm just not a fan of the character type). I think her own fish-out-of-water situation could have been mined for comedy as easily as Satan's, without resorting to making her look like a fool. We still get flashes of Satan's demonic nature (e.g. just before he had to abandon Dullahan), but I haven't seen much of her heroic personality that isn't based on false pride or maintaining a front for her emotional weakness.

But I've gotten used to having to overlook that sort of thing, so I'm still enjoying this immensely. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti - I sort of see where you are coming from with respect to Emilia, but I would say we have seen flashes of a Hero personality from her. One was the classic line when the policeman asked what was going on and she said, spoiler["I was trying to kill him."] I think this shows that as a Hero she is guileless and not prepared to lie. Even more convincing perhaps, was her offer spoiler[to Satan to leave him in peace as long as he swears not to try to take over Japan or return to Isla Enta. She sees he is being a decent guy and is loathe to kill him in that state.] At least that's the way I see it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, she just didn't see any reason to lie. spoiler[He's Satan, so obviously she wants to kill him. And coming from a war zone, not admiting openly to wanting to kill the enemy simply hadn't occurred to her.] Actually, that's a fine example of the kind of humor from her I'd love to see more of, i.e., her simple straightforwardness and calm rationality getting her into unexpected trouble, which is kind of the opposite of the tsundere type, which are anything but straightforward and calmly rational (to clarify, spoiler[her decidedly not calm reaction to the officer's mistake] was funny, and justified. And no one can be perfectly calm all the time, especially when confronted with a judgement like that which would naturally horrify her).

The second example I had no problem with, but then, it wasn't intended to be funny. My point was that they could have made her just as hilarious without resorting to making her a stereotype, and the writing so far convinces me they're clever enough to do so, they just decided not to - unfortunately for me, but not for fans of tsunderes. Can't please everyone all the time. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. I'm not convinced Emilia actually is a true tsundere, but certain of her reactions do fall in that spectrum. The true tell will be when she does start developing real feelings for Satan. If she hides her feelings behind a facade of anger, then I'll be willing to grant her official tsundere status (and I like tsunderes, by the way).
CrisisXVII

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@CrisisXVII - not that I'm heavily invested in trying to establish logic in a comedy program, but I'll take a stab at the points you raise.

For your first one as to why Emilia and Satan are showing so much "trust" for each other. Yes, it is a little odd, but that is part of the comedic premise of the show. Two powerful arch-enemies in the other world are sort of getting along in their much weakened states in this world. On Emilia's side, she is feeling very alone in this world. As Satan points out, he and his trusty aide have each other to cope, but Emilia has no one. So even though the two guys are her sworn enemies in the other world, they are also the only two who are from her world (that she/we know of).

As for Satan - it hasn't been officially explained yet, but it seems like being in this world has changed his personality. Yes, he pays lip service to taking over Japan, etc, but it seems he is genuinely a nice guy. I think this will eventually be explained.

And as for the magic sniper being more magically powerful ... well, we still don't know the deal there, but it's possible that will get explained eventually. When something new is introduced it is never a good idea to assume automatically that there is something "off" about it until you see more episodes.

I realise trying to apply logic to something like an anime is fruitless, but it still doesn't feel right when something nonsensical happens or an action or event defies that particular anime world's pre-established rules.

I'll concede the Emilia point. It is after all a comedy and so going from enemy to trusting acquaintance can happen just because the writer needs it to happen. And indeed, Satan has clearly changed in the human world. I do hope he doesn't lose his drive to conquer the other world otherwise the conflicts with Emilia would lose all tension.

With the magic sniper I am interested in seeing an explanation, if the magic sniper is more powerful and an enemy of Satan I wonder where they were during the assault on Satan's castle? should be interesting to see how that turns out.

Blood- wrote:
Fair enough. I'm not convinced Emilia actually is a true tsundere, but certain of her reactions do fall in that spectrum. The true tell will be when she does start developing real feelings for Satan. If she hides her feelings behind a facade of anger, then I'll be willing to grant her official tsundere status (and I like tsunderes, by the way).

I think it might already be heading towards that. Maybe I imagined it but spoiler[I think I saw a jealous Emilia in the next episode preview for the co-worker date episode?]

Last edited by CrisisXVII on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm going with the idea that none of these characters was changed that much by hopping through the gate.

In this perspective, Emilia wasn't really all that heroic in the first place, she was an unstable psycho with poor self-control who just happened to have a great evil to direct her energies against. And now that that evil isn't around anymore, she's incredibly frustrated. Obviously, these ideas are told in the language of tsundere, but they don't necessarily have to be indicative of any feelings she has for Satan.

Satan, for his part, was never particularly evil, he was just a diligent and ambitious guy, who seeks excellence in anything he is doing. Now that he's not at the head of a demon army, he's focused on climbing the corporate ladder.
CrisisXVII

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm going with the idea that none of these characters was changed that much by hopping through the gate.

In this perspective, Emilia wasn't really all that heroic in the first place, she was an unstable psycho with poor self-control who just happened to have a great evil to direct her energies against. And now that that evil isn't around anymore, she's incredibly frustrated. Obviously, these ideas are told in the language of tsundere, but they don't necessarily have to be indicative of any feelings she has for Satan.

Satan, for his part, was never particularly evil, he was just a diligent and ambitious guy, who seeks excellence in anything he is doing. Now that he's not at the head of a demon army, he's focused on climbing the corporate ladder.

Personally I disagree, I think there has been a change. Satan in episode 1 seemed pretty evil to me. He sent forth a demon army to conquer the continent and subjugate humanity, which resulted in the slaughter of many people. He was also described as "dread and cruelty incarnate" (unless it was a translation error), and you could see the madness in his character during the final battle.

I'm not speculating that the gate did it, but I think Satan's personality has changed and softened, and if I remember right Alsiel pretty much says something along those lines after Satan spoiler[lends Emilia money and lets her stay the night.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 30