• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix's Light Novel Project Revealed as School Girl Strikers iPhone RPG

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
People like you shows that there wouldn't be releases here because of the negative attitude towards mobile games

Mobile gaming in Japan is different from America. Different style of games. It's not Angry Birds people love it's ports of things like Dragon Quest VIII which are fully functional 'real games' and cost 30 bucks. Laughing

iOS is just a platform so it says nothing of what kind of games can be on it. So dismissing it seems kinda closeminded. Though Rahxephon is a very vocal anti-SquareEnix and Japanese games in general guy so I don't think he'll be very objective about the subject
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Man you're a huge idiot if you think Im anti Square or Japanese games. Like you simply don't know what you are talking about.

I mean that is quite possibly the dumbest thing to say about a person who's almost written novels defending the likes of XIII.

But I frogot, if you're not praising the alter of Japan you're anti Japan. No I'm just not a giant biased weeboo.

But I'm anti Square/Japan
Hahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha.

You're the last person who should talk about being objective. For you it's if it's not Japanese, it's not good. For you to claim this is almost parody.

Man you haven't a clue.

Yeah the dude with an avatar from the most Japanese game ever hates Japanese games.

And oh boy I can play ports of games I already own and would rather play elsewhere. The actual made for phone games are a bit less appealing then games I can play already.

Sorry I like playing games on consoles and less so dedicated handhelds. Not my phone. A preference and there's nothing wrong with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
458 of the 721 games I own are Japanese made according to the game vault app with Square and Capcom making up the majority of the lot. This includes the PC(steam), PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, Xbox(have more Japanese games lol on it), 360, DS, 3DS, Wii, and cube.

So that's 63% and with PC and western games owning the consoles this gen that still seems like I have a preference for Japanese games. I mean Vanquish is one of the top games.

Hell, I'm attempting to learn Japanese so I can play the import PSP games I have and plan to buy. Hell, I've already made headway on Type 0 and Yakuza Kenzen.

So yeah, please don't say I'm anti Japanese games at all. I just don't have a bias like you and am not some huge fan of the niche otaku games that NIS and whatnot push. Games that seem tomake up the playstation system's niche games these days. Being critical of Japanese things does not mean I dislike them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
For anybody curious: "Smartphones Make up Half of Japan’s $10.8Bn Games Industry" - According to market-intelligence firm CyberZ, the Japanese games market was worth $10.8 billion in 2013, with smartphones accounting for half of all consumer spending on games. Smartphones games generated $5.4 billion, a huge jump from the $3 billion, or 30% of the market, generated in 2012.

By far, Japan's top-grossing mobile games are f2p puzzle and card games, led by GungHo and its game Puzzle & Dragons.

(Blue = puzzle-rpg, red = card games, green = casual puzzle)

February 4, 2014 (iOS):

• No. 1 Puzzle & Dragons by GungHo
    No. 2 Quiz RPG Witch and black cat quiz (by Colopl)
    No. 3 Dragon Quest Monsters Superlight (by Square Enix)
    No. 4 Monster strike (by Mixi)
    No. 5 LINE Pokopang (by Naver Japan)
    No. 6 Pro yakiyu PRIDE (by Colopl Inc)
    No. 7 Tsuri Suta (by GREE)
    No. 8 Sengoku Enbu (by Sumzap Inc)
    No. 9 Puyo puyo!! Quest (by Sega Corporation)
    No. 10 Gunzei RPG aoi no sangokushi (by Colopl)
    No. 11 Bousou retsuden tansha tora (by Donuts Ltd) (a motobicycle race game)
    No. 12 Dragon league X (by Asobism Co Ltd)
    No. 13 Clash of Clans (by Supercell)
    No. 14 Love life! School Idol Festival (by KLab Inc.)
    No. 15 Candy Crush Saga (by King.com Ltd)
    No. 16 LINE (by Naver Japan)
    No. 17 Dragon poker (by Asobism Co Ltd)
    No. 18 Gundam Area wars (by NamcoBandai Games Inc)
    No. 19 Brave frontier (by Alim Co Ltd)
    No. 20 Chain cronicle. Original scenario RPG. Chencro (by SEGA Corporation)
    No. 21 LINE Play (by Naver Japan)
    No. 22 LINE Bubble! (by Naver Japan)
    No. 23 LINE Disney tsumu tsumu (by Naver Japan)
    No. 24 World soccer collection S (by KONAMI)
    No. 25 Hay Day (by Supercell)

• Puzzle 48.0%
    Virtual pet, virtual garden 7.1%
    Simulation 6.4%
    Action 5.3%
    RPG 4.6%
    Sports 3.9%
    Quiz 3.9%
    Adventure 3.2%
    Trading card 3.2%
    Education 2.1%
    Table-top 1.8%
    Shooting 1.8%
    Escape 1.4%
    Board 0.7%
    Racing 0.7%
    Trivia 0.7%
    Coin (slot machine, etc) 0.4%
    Defence 0.4%
    Other 4.3%

GungHo and Puzzle & Dragons are so big in Japan, they also top the 2013 global mobile game revenues:

• Here’s the full list of top-grossing mobile games on iOS and Google Play:

1. Puzzle & Dragons (GungHo Online)
    2. Candy Crush Saga (King)
    3. Clash of Clans (Supercell)
    4. Hay Day (Supercell)
    5. The Simpsons: Tapped Out (Electronic Arts)
    6. The Hobbit (Kabam)
    7. Slotomania (Caesars Entertainment)
    8. Megapolis (Social Quantum)
    9. Pokapang (Line)
    10. Kingdoms of Camelot (Kabam)

Puzzle & Dragons was so profitable that it was enough to help GungHo Online take the top spot as the highest-grossing publisher on mobile. Supercell was the runner-up, followed by King and Electronic Arts.

1. GungHo Online (Japan)
    2. Supercell (Finland)
    3. King (United Kingdom)
    4. Electronic Arts (United States)
    5. Line (Japan)
    6. Gree (Japan)
    7. CJ Group (South Korea)
    8. DeNA (Japan)
    9. Kabam (United States)
    10. Gameloft (France)
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh so actually, cheap casual games in Japan also dominate and not these "big real games". Wow guess Japan is just like America. I know it's terrible.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Seeing that chart with all those card games on there is pretty interesting. I suppose that's why KanColle is so huge in Japan right now. Japan loves card games with all of those and all the card game anime out there. Interesting to see how different Japan and America's markets are
berlin73

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
I love to play the following games.

1. Asphalt 8
2. Candy Crush Saga (King)
3. Clash of Clans (SuperCell)
4. Hay Day (Supercell)
5. The Simpsons: Tapped Out (Electronic Arts)
6. The Hobbit (Kabam)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2