• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Lends IP to DeNA to Make Smartphone Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
A 3rd party developing Nintendo properties. This couldn't possibly end badly... Rolling Eyes

Nintendo's been doing more outsourcing of late, very successfully. Hyrule Warriors and Pokken Tournament are two examples. Smash 4 was even co-developed with Bandai-Namco. They've learned their lesson from the CDi and are assured to keep some quality control in place.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Draft/Matic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Better sell before they fall again, stuff like this always happens when a company announces a "new and innovative" product, only for it to be a failure. I don't think Nintendo will find too much success with this new series of games, considering DeNA's notoriety for cashgrabs.

Hoppy800 wrote:

I wouldn't trust the ones from mainland China, they may put spy software in them for their government to spy on you and could be used by cybergangs over there to take your money, we already have the NSA to worry about, it's best not to make things worse.

Actually , I remember some story of a Chinese manufacturer having their phones pre installed with malware (they said it wasn't by them though). But taking in consideration of Xiaomi's current offering, I really couldn't care less if it had malware uninstalled(For the price per performance they are offering). Anyhow, I'm sure a quick root+custom ROM would fix any problem.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
NHK World has some interesting information:

NHk World wrote:

Nintendo, DeNA agree on capital tie-up

Mar. 17, 2015 - Updated 07:59 UTC-4

Two big players in Japan's video-game industry are planning a tie-up. Executives at Nintendo and DeNA say they have agreed to jointly develop games for smart devices.

The presidents of video-game maker Nintendo and online gaming company DeNA say they will buy 180 million dollars' worth of shares in each other.

Nintendo will get a 10-percent stake in its partner, and DeNA, 1.24 percent.

President Satoru Iwata of Nintendo said they want to build a bridge between smart devices and gaming consoles to attract more customers. Iwata said he expects the partnership to capture some of the smartphone gamer market.

The companies say their new games will feature some of Nintendo's well-known characters. They will also launch a members' online service, and they plan to operate overseas.

So looks like this confirmed the mobile game could be release overseas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
It's actually a nice commercial move, at least coming from a Japanese company, because the Japanese mobile and smart devices market is HUGE, possibly the biggest in the entire world. And this isn't the 90's, Nintendo has learned a lot since then, and honestly, with the things they've been doing in order to protect their IPs, I'm sure they'll keep a tight leash on DeNA so they don't screw anything up.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Realize that the Japanese gaming market is different. J-mobile gaming market has eclipsed the traditional J-gaming market already a couple years ago. (In fact, the J-mobile gaming market is the world's biggest.) Nintendo can't afford to ignore the now-larger gaming market forever, especially since they're still struggling financially. Being the big fish in a shrinking pond isn't gonna hold them forever. They at least need a foothold in the bigger pond from which to build from, while still keeping a hold of their current pond.

2014: Japanese console market down as mobile gaming takes over

• Japan’s console market saw a significant dip in earnings last year, a new annual report on the region finds.

Analyst Dr. Serkan Toto posted a copy of the Japanese Computer Entetainment Supplier’s Association’s release, showing console-related sales were down 16 per cent – a drop from $4.8bn in 2012 to $4bn in 2013.

Breaking that down further, hardware sales saw a year-on-year dive of $400m, while software sales dipped $400m as well. PS3 made up 21.8 per cent of hardware and software sales, while Vita grabbed 11.7 per cent of the pie as well. DS/3DS sales made up a whopping 46.7 per cent of the market.

Note that those figures don’t include PS4 or Xbox One numbers, since both released (or are releasing, in Microsoft’s case) after 2013. Still, Xbox One sales aren’t expected to turn any tides for the general market and PS4 has yet to become the same draw that the PS3 was at its peak in the territory.

It wasn’t all bad news. Mobile gaming is more than making up for the console decline, as it brought in $5.1bn last year combined with featurephone gaming purchases. The sector was worth just $370m in 2011.

Draft/Matic wrote:

I don't think Nintendo will find too much success with this new series of games, considering DeNA's notoriety for cashgrabs.

Nintendo Will Handle Planning For Their Smartphone Games, DeNA Will Operate

• For starters, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata stated that no Nintendo IP would be off-limits to DeNA. That having been said, smartphone games require services that are constantly adapting and changing, and this will require a considerable combined effort from both Nintendo and DeNA. As a result, the two companies will narrow their focus to some extent, instead of releasing an extremely large number of titles.

Regarding the design of these games, Iwata stated that some smartphone games have a “notorious” reputation for overcharging consumers or being inappropriate for children due to their monetization schemes. Nintendo, he said, wish to avoid doing this and will make an effort not to indulge in unfair practices. In fact, Nintendo will be handling the planning and design for their smartphone titles. Meanwhile, DeNA will handle server development, daily operations, and user analysis, since those are the company’s strengths.

He also stated that he couldn’t say whether or not Nintendo’s partnership with DeNA will be a permanently exclusive deal, but for now, DeNA is the company they have chosen to partner with.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Realize that the Japanese gaming market is different. J-mobile gaming market has eclipsed the traditional J-gaming market already a couple years ago. (In fact, the J-mobile gaming market is the world's biggest.) Nintendo can't afford to ignore the now-larger gaming market forever, especially since they're still struggling financially.

Uh, that would apply to Nintendo a couple years ago. They've stabilized now (after a couple of ultimately negligible losses) and are profiting unlike basically everyone else in the gaming world. So they're completely fine and have only done this as an experiment (even outright becoming the second biggest shareholder for DeNA) while everyone else is practically burning money on pointless BS.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Realize that the Japanese gaming market is different. J-mobile gaming market has eclipsed the traditional J-gaming market already a couple years ago. (In fact, the J-mobile gaming market is the world's biggest.) Nintendo can't afford to ignore the now-larger gaming market forever, especially since they're still struggling financially.

Uh, that would apply to Nintendo a couple years ago. They've stabilized now (after a couple of ultimately negligible losses) and are profiting unlike basically everyone else in the gaming world. So they're completely fine and have only done this as an experiment (even outright becoming the second biggest shareholder for DeNA) while everyone else is practically burning money on pointless BS.

Struggling still.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Japan-Update/Nintendos-recovery-hinges-on-new-profit-model

• March 14, 2015 OSAKA -- Last year's 10 best-selling video games in Japan were made for Nintendo gaming platforms, with the top five selling over 2 million each. But the company must change its failing profit model if it hopes to make a full-fledged comeback.

"This is a historic achievement in Japan's gaming history," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has said. Yet many of 2014's releases were sequels to previous hits, and some claim safe, big-name games were chosen in order to secure a profit.

The industry titan also is eager to turn profits for its gaming consoles. Its Wii U is no longer selling at a loss, but only because the company booked valuation losses last fiscal year and is now unwinding cheap inventories.

Nintendo likely will book an operating profit for the first time in four years this fiscal year, but the figure is seen at a disappointing 20 billion yen ($163 million). The company lost 46.2 billion yen last year.

Sales likely will fall 4% to 550 billion yen, but its profitability is taking an even greater hit. In fiscal 2001, when it raked in about the same amount in sales, Nintendo booked a roughly 120 billion yen profit.

Its earning power has declined in part due to higher costs. Nintendo spent 71.7 billion yen on research and development last fiscal year, about four times as much as in fiscal 2001. The company opened a 19 billion yen research facility last June, moving over 1,000 staffers there, but has yet to find a use for the now-vacant spaces at its headquarters.

The rise in R&D costs is inevitable, especially as gaming consoles grow more complex. The bigger issue is that Nintendo's profit model no longer works. The company used to sell its newest consoles for cheap, even risking a loss. It boosted sales of the new devices by offering popular games created by itself and other game developers.

Sony expects to lose 170 billion yen in its fiscal year ending on March 31. Microsoft's net income last 2 financial quarters are Q1-2015 $4.540 Billion and Q2-2015 $5.863 Billion.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Struggling still.

Huh?

Quote:
Nintendo likely will book an operating profit

Profit. Profit. PROFIT.

...When did I step into Bizarro World and suddenly a profit translates to "struggling?" Because that only makes sense with backwards logic.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Sony expects to lose 170 billion yen in its fiscal year ending on March 31.

Geez Louis, that much Enurtsol. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Struggling still.

Huh?

Quote:
Nintendo likely will book an operating profit

Profit. Profit. PROFIT.

...When did I step into Bizarro World and suddenly a profit translates to "struggling?" Because that only makes sense with backwards logic.

[Disclosure: friends and I hold Nintendo stocks, so we keep up with this.]

Because profit is not profit is not profit. Not any profit is the same for different businesses. For Nintendo's case, that type of profit is struggling, especially that they lost more money last year than they profited this year (not even counting the losses 3 straight years prior to that). In fact, they originally expected about twice as much profit, but they had to downgrade since it didn't work out even by their modest expectation. It's a step in the right direction, but it's still struggling. (That's why the Japanese Nikkei business report says it's disappointing.)

Here, I'll show you how financials work with an extreme example: if Apple tomorrow announces that they made $1 Billion profit for the year or even just for the quarter, that's struggling, because for the amount of business Apple does, $1 Billion is very very low profit margin. It's like getting paid way below minimum wage - you're still earning money, but you'd be struggling to pay rent and food, or you're putting 60 hours of work all week but getting paid just the equivalent of 30 hours. Any little type of disruption could easily put you back in the red (like most airlines companies nowadays), so the business is in a tenuous situation living almost week to week. That's not fine; that's a struggle.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
According to IGN, Nintendo will be releasing these smartphone games this year but doesn't give an exact time frame.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I bump this, just saw this on Siliconera today. It looks like Nintendo and DeNA have been in talks Since 2010.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2