• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll's Ellation Plans to Expand Original IP Beyond Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S0crates

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I hope that first project was just an attempt at capturing an audience I'm not part of, and not the trend for what they'll do going forward. If it is, then I kinda regret supporting them for so long as it's the Japanese stuff I fell in love with and wanted to aid, not some new political machine.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Is it really that unreasonable to wish that their first IP would be more similar to the shows they've been licensing for years?

Yes considering the same people who say things like this are the same people who kept complaining about how Netflix's Death Note adaptation wasn't set in Japan or featured a mostly Asian cast....just like the live action japanese films

See the redundancy?

teferi wrote:

I mean Netflix can do Castlevania what was stopping CR from doing something that doesn't look like it belongs on Cartoon Network?

Castlevania doesn't remotely look like anything that wouldn't itself be on Cartoon Network specifically it's Adult Swim block.

teferi wrote:

Please. One look at the promotional art and it's pretty obvious that we'll all forget about this show after it finishes and hope CR learns from its mistakes.

I can guarantee you that should the show succeed or fail people will still complain and talk negatively about it because no one forgets things especially things they don't like for arbitrary or picky reasons.

Beatdigga wrote:
to build hype for something Nickelodeon rightfully rejected.

The same Nickelodeon that aired Ren & Stimpy, loves screwing over shows with time slot changes or unnecessary hiatuses, to say nothing of overexposing Spongebob?

John Hayabusa wrote:
I love when animation media, anime and cartoon, were all about art and story.

Even when both are not good?

TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Avatar and Oban helped established something than.... well, this. And we all thought those series were bad. An example of two steps back.

Yeah you might be generalizing a bit much.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
teferi wrote:
Is it really that unreasonable to wish that their first IP would be more similar to the shows they've been licensing for years?

Yes considering the same people who say things like this are the same people who kept complaining about how Netflix's Death Note adaptation wasn't set in Japan or featured a mostly Asian cast....just like the live action japanese films

See the redundancy?

Not trying to take the wind out of any sails, but I just don't feel this works as a counterargument. Are they really all the same people? Or is 'all the same people' just a more general 'everyone making a fuss about something trivial'?

I guess what I'm saying is this sounds more like compartmentalization rather than reality. I'm sure there's some overlap, but there always is. People are passionate about personal opinions.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

I can guarantee you that should the show succeed or fail people will still complain and talk negatively about it because no one forgets things especially things they don't like for arbitrary or picky reasons.

Eh. It's all marketing as far as I'm concerned. Controversy is free publicity. If the show succeeds the creators can state it is due to diversity and that will rile enough people up across the internet to get the word out about the show, so people will watch it. If the show fails they can chalk it up to (insert epithet of choice) and that will get the journalists active on covering the fandom controversy, which will get the word out about the show, and also probably cause people to see what all the hubbub is about. So there's still a decent chance at the show breaking even over time.

Idk. People keep going on about how this isn't a great show for Crunchyroll. And maybe it's not. But I actually think it's a safe show to bet on when it comes to pouring money into a production and making that money back. It's a legitimate, but polarizing marketing strategy.

I think this is at the core of what rubs people the wrong way about not just this Crunchyroll show, but a lot of diversity marketing in general. But it's the internet, so everyone has trouble expressing themselves properly.
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
Castlevania doesn't remotely look like anything that wouldn't itself be on Cartoon Network specifically it's Adult Swim block.

Frankly most of what airs on Adult Swim that's in remotely the same vein as Castlevania is anime and we all know HGS is nothing like Castlevania. You knew that when you made that post and you knew what I was getting at given that the vast majority of CN's programming is nothing like Castlevania but you still made that post.

Quote:

See the redundancy?

I don't care about how Japanese it is. The problem I have with it is that CR has decided that after years of being supported by their subscribers that the first thing that they're producing is a show they have years of statistics showing that most of their subscribers don't watch on their platform.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
All this arguing is more proof this website should stop giving HGS the publicity. Ignore them. Let them rot in isolation.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Devilman Crybaby, B: The Beginning, A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-, Sword Gai, are made because Netflix pay the bills. If not, they probably would never be made because the Japanese producers wouldn't get enough support been financial backing or audience support.

I have to go with configspace. Devilman was an insanely popular manga in Japan and it was made as part of Nagai's anniversary. I find it hard to believe Netflix would be the driving force behind an adaption that not many American anime fans know about. I imagine they just got a spot on the production committee to get exclusive streaming rights. The rest I will definitely agree, though, but like said they still brand every license they get as "Netflix originals" which makes the label really stupid.

But yeah, it's pretty clear that's what Crunchyroll is doing with this. They recently sent out a casting call people for a documentary on representation in the anime community, and specifically asked for people who feel they are "not represented in anime made by Japan" except white people, of course. I also assume that also means Asians need not apply as well, so I'm out of luck there I guess. They're certainly doubling down on their diversity angle with stuff like that. Maybe it'll be launched along side HGS.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
More things we should collectively ignore. Let them yell into the ether and let no one care.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

But yeah, it's pretty clear that's what Crunchyroll is doing with this. They recently sent out a casting call people for a documentary on representation in the anime community, and specifically asked for people who feel they are "not represented in anime made by Japan" except white people, of course. I also assume that also means Asians need not apply as well, so I'm out of luck there I guess. They're certainly doubling down on their diversity angle with stuff like that. Maybe it'll be launched along side HGS.
l really would like to see ANN make a interview with someone from Crunchyroll so we can see what they really want to accomplish. The interviews so far were with sites outside of the anime world. I would like to see questions made by people that understand what anime is and not some mainstream entertainment people.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Frankly most of what airs on Adult Swim that's in remotely the same vein as Castlevania is anime and we all know HGS is nothing like Castlevania. You knew that when you made that post and you knew what I was getting at given that the vast majority of CN's programming is nothing like Castlevania but you still made that post.

I made that comment because your response sounded a bit snobbish.

teferi wrote:

I don't care about how Japanese it is. The problem I have with it is that CR has decided that after years of being supported by their subscribers that the first thing that they're producing is a show they have years of statistics showing that most of their subscribers don't watch on their platform.

And what happens if it in spite of those supposed statistics some of those subscribers along with those who aren't regular subscribers to CR ultimately watch HGS giving it the exposure they want it to get?

stilldemented wrote:
I think this is at the core of what rubs people the wrong way about not just this Crunchyroll show, but a lot of diversity marketing in general. But it's the internet, so everyone has trouble expressing themselves properly.

Some do, whiles others do tend to mean what they say. Even if they get a bit carried away in expressing those opinions which way too many of them tend to treat as irrefutable fact.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And what happens if it in spite of those supposed statistics some of those subscribers along with those who aren't regular subscribers to CR ultimately watch HGS giving it the exposure they want it to get?

They post their most popular shows by state/province every season. CGDCT shows don't rank and even then they've got to exclude shows like MHA and Attack on Titan to not have every map covered in two shows. Not sure why you're pretending you don't know what their more popular shows are either. In the first place CR has grown into what it is now because of big licenses like Naruto. The idea that a show like HGS is going to somehow result in a massive increase in the number of subs is ridiculous. Unless they do a complete 180 and that promo art is as deceptive as Asobi Asobase's OP then there is no way this is going to work out for them.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Do you have screenshots of this maybe? I didn't hear about it when it happened.

If you mean of his old account before it got nuked, nope. I didn't become aware of the situation until after the fact.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

They post their most popular shows by state/province every season. CGDCT shows don't rank and even then they've got to exclude shows like MHA and Attack on Titan to not have every map covered in two shows. Not sure why you're pretending you don't know what their more popular shows are either.

Not sure why you're dodging the question I asked and bringing up something that has nothing to do with it.

teferi wrote:

In the first place CR has grown into what it is now because of big licenses like Naruto.

And?

Just because CR became what it became by having anime doesn't mean they have to stick solely to licensed anime. Plus here's another fun fact you conveniently opted not to mention there's multiple other places one can watch stuff like Naruto legal and otherwise.

See the logic of creating original programming for your streaming service whether it's anime or a "cartoon"?

teferi wrote:

The idea that a show like HGS is going to somehow result in a massive increase in the number of subs is ridiculous.

The idea that those statistics you posted earlier proves some unquestioned fact is ridiculous but yet you haven't realized how ironic that is yet.

Success or failure isn't guaranteed so once again arguing the show is going to fail because it's not what their subscriber base goes for (or because of the art) is just plain petty at best and projection at worst.

teferi wrote:

Unless they do a complete 180 and that promo art is as deceptive as Asobi Asobase's OP then there is no way this is going to work out for them.

Yeah based off of the opinionated rantings of a bunch of entitled, picky, and overreactive adults none whom have yet to watch a single episode of HGS.

Oh and because of some useless statistics that don't serve much purpose.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
BeatDigga your last 2 posts were removed. You're saying the same thing over and over. You've said it 4 times in a row. Add something new to the discussion and stop soapboxing.

I also would suggest BadNewsBlues you and teferi agree to disagree and move on at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4