• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Brett Weaver Responds to Mignogna, Mari Iijima Photos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:

Speaking of nothingburgers, that’s exactly what the jellybean incident looks like in light of those outtakes. Like another poster said, the recordings show that they weren’t saints when it came to inappropriate humor.

I know this post is meant to be inflammatory, but I'm gonna' use it as a springboard to remind everyone that video proof exists of Vic overpowering his female co-worker onto a hotel bed before she fled after a knock on the door. The jellybean incident is tangential to the much bigger issue of attempted sexual assault, and trying to downplay the whole thing as one joke and ignoring all the other stuff that happened and what Vic himself admitted to (like pulling a different coworker's hair) is disingenuous at best. Be careful out there, friends.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:
Even the alleged "victim" isn't corroborating his story.

Friendly reminder that Mari Iijima has built a life of her own pretty much entirely apart from the anime industry, and the only reason her path crossed Mignogna's in the first place was because of the one time in the past 30 years that she's reprised the one anime character she's ever voiced.

She has no obligation to involve herself in this whole ugly mess if she wants to stay out of it and focus on more productive things like her next music album.

NervClaX wrote:
#IStandWithVic has a photograph showing them together and smiling.

Ah yes, because we all know women are never expected to smile in front of cameras.

Really, I'm not seeing how any of this is supposed to help Mignogna get past the TCPA after "death by a thousand cuts" and everything else.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Why are people getting labeled cultists? Because they share a different opinion? The Vic issue is not Black and White.. both sides have some issues. I am still waiting to see what the courts decide.
I'm sure plenty of KickVic are obsessive and annoying, but I never see them. On the other hand YouTube and Twitter is full to the brim with IStandWithVic people, wackos who talk like they're fighting some war to save Vic from some evil conspiracy.

Then there are YouTubers who seems to spend all their time making sensational videos about this "FUNIMATION EXPOSED" "Is This The END OF FUNIMATION?". There is a world of difference between, I believe Vic is innocent and Vic is innocent and we must take up arms to defeat his enemies.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Valjean Lafitte wrote:

Speaking of nothingburgers, that’s exactly what the jellybean incident looks like in light of those outtakes. Like another poster said, the recordings show that they weren’t saints when it came to inappropriate humor.

I know this post is meant to be inflammatory, but I'm gonna' use it as a springboard to remind everyone that video proof exists of Vic overpowering his female co-worker onto a hotel bed before she fled after a knock on the door. The jellybean incident is tangential to the much bigger issue of attempted sexual assault, and trying to downplay the whole thing as one joke and ignoring all the other stuff that happened and what Vic himself admitted to (like pulling a different coworker's hair) is disingenuous at best. Be careful out there, friends.

Wait, what video proof exists of Vic doing these actions? He said/she said is not video proof. So far there is no corroborating or supporting evidence to back up the accusations, and frankly, many of the affidavits have had issues.

That said, even if we go with and assume that Vic is guilty, many of the others involved and supporting the KV have issues that should also cause their removal. It's been clearly pointed out that Funi's own handbook states that certain actions/jokes, etc will not be tolerated, and the recordings in question violate the standards that they set forth. Even if Vic is guilty, it doesn't make them "not guilty". Even if you want to claim that they are being gone after because of what is being done to Vic doesn't make them not guilty of their actions.

Even if you want to go after "whataboutism" doesn't mean that they didn't engage in actions that violated the company's rules and they should be held accountable for their own things. There is no question that the recordings contain material that are homophobic, sexual, etc in nature.

As the saying goes, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." If Funi wants to have a set of standards, that's fine. But if that's the case, then it appears that it is time to clean house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
Valjean Lafitte wrote:

Wait, what video proof exists of Vic doing these actions? He said/she said is not video proof. So far there is no corroborating or supporting evidence to back up the accusations, and frankly, many of the affidavits have had issues.

That said, even if we go with and assume that Vic is guilty, many of the others involved and supporting the KV have issues that should also cause their removal. It's been clearly pointed out that Funi's own handbook states that certain actions/jokes, etc will not be tolerated, and the recordings in question violate the standards that they set forth. Even if Vic is guilty, it doesn't make them "not guilty". Even if you want to claim that they are being gone after because of what is being done to Vic doesn't make them not guilty of their actions.

Even if you want to go after "whataboutism" doesn't mean that they didn't engage in actions that violated the company's rules and they should be held accountable for their own things. There is no question that the recordings contain material that are homophobic, sexual, etc in nature.

As the saying goes, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." If Funi wants to have a set of standards, that's fine. But if that's the case, then it appears that it is time to clean house.

And the other problem to what you're saying is that...FUNimation's recordings shouldn't be associated in the slightest with Vic's and that's it.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Vic Mignogna sexually assaulted two coworkers! A bunch of naughty outtakes has nothing to do with that!

Claims about Toye were dismissed, that's a big nothingburger.

Vic apologists are just vile.

I make crude jokes all the time with people I am close to, like my husband and close friends. That doesn't give someone who I may be barely friends with to also make crude jokes with me.

As a matter of fact I've had people in the past think it was okay to make jokes with me that are inappropriate because someone else has.

It comes down to: I don't know you like that, and please back off.

Just because they make crude jokes with one person doesn't give someone else the right to do so also. It's about comfort level.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Changeitup wrote:
Eye witness accounts are the least reliable form of evidence because people's memories are crap

Eye witness accounts are unreliable ON THEIR OWN. A massive VOLUME of eye witness accounts, on the other hand...

By the way, if you need video evidence of Vic holding up that day's newspaper with one hand and groping somebody with another, your standard of evidence is unrealistic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

And the other problem to what you're saying is that...FUNimation's recordings shouldn't be associated in the slightest with Vic's and that's it.

I'm saying that the issue regarding Vic is irrelevant. What is bad and what's worse is subjective (to a certain degree). Even if there is worse, what is "bad" doesn't no longer exist.

And the end of the day, Funi set a standard and I'd rather they apply that standard equally. Justin's final answerman column addressed that there is a toxicity going around fandom. Attacking fandom has come from within, and that's been a major issue. Sabbat acknowledged a message he made about calling fans autistic, then falsely attributed it to the farms (time stamped proved this) and then deleted the tweet after being called out. Other people who have been influential to the cons, even people being given a voice by ANN have attacked fans.

And that's really the thing, isn't it? Without fandom, there is no industry, there is no ANN. Nada, zip, zilch. Instead, those attacking fans wind up being defended. Fandom is eating itself from within and it's gotten uglier and uglier. Look at all the backbiting, even here on the forums. Voice actors go after people for questioning a narrative, staff at various publications act like they are gods, reviewers insert personal politics, outrage culture is everything, etc.

Seeing everything that has been going on for awhile now is exhausting and has been detrimental to all of us. In my brief time in Japan (can't wait to go back), the behaviors that have been exhibited by so many here would not be tolerated there. That's not to say that issues don't happen there. But they are more controlled, statements are made, people move on.

Because at the end of the day, this is a business. And when you attack the fans, you attack who is paying for your business to survive. If things continue as they have, everybody loses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
The only hope I personally have is anytime we see something really disturbing like #KickVic defending domestic abuse by saying a woman having an abortion is grounds for her husband to beat her pushes the more sane and normal people away and leaves only the broken, toxic people left to hold the banner.

This is what happened for me... When I saw that happening on Twitter a few nights ago I knew that was not the side I ever wanted to be with and it could never be justified...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
The only hope I personally have is anytime we see something really disturbing like #KickVic defending domestic abuse by saying a woman having an abortion is grounds for her husband to beat her pushes the more sane and normal people away and leaves only the broken, toxic people left to hold the banner.

This is what happened for me... When I saw that happening on Twitter a few nights ago I knew that was not the side I ever wanted to be with and it could never be justified...

What if it was just a minor part of it? You shouldn't let the actions of the minority affect what you do.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

My mistake, I misread the statement in the deposition. I'd still argue, though, that while the Funi outtakes are in bad taste, bad jokes are in no way comparable to the actual physical assault Vic himself admitted to inflicting on one of his fellow attendees. So the point about trying to handwave away everything as a single jellybean joke being disingenuous still stands.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
What if it was just a minor part of it? You shouldn't let the actions of the minority affect what you do.

These were not random people, they were main people at the heart of this thing like those annoying lawyers and American industry voice actors. Monica Rial was one of the people I saw saying that people didn't know the two ex-wives who were abused and if people did know them they would understand. I don't need to understand anything to know domestic abuse is wrong.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

These were not random people, they were main people at the heart of this thing like those annoying lawyers and American industry voice actors. Monica Rial was one of the people I saw saying that people didn't know the two ex-wives who were abused and if people did know them they would understand. I don't need to understand anything to know domestic abuse is wrong.

At the end of the day, the request for a restraining order against Ron Toye was dismissed. Hear that? Dismissed. End of.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:
Brett Weaver has hearsay regarding an alleged incident from 12 years ago.

"Hearsay" is reporting what somebody else told you. That is not what Weaver did.

Quote:
Even the alleged "victim" isn't corroborating his story.

"No comment" is a long way from a repudiation of the claim.

Quote:
#IStandWithVic has a photograph showing them together and smiling. Which carries more weight with a jury?

She was an actor doing publicity. Even in America actors are expected to make nice and pretend they got along with everyone involved with a project. You can find interviews with Uma Thurman talking about how awesome Quentin Tarantino was on Kill Bill even though his incompetence nearly got her killed. And Japanese social conventions against badmouthing people are even stronger.

gloverrandal wrote:
These were not random people, they were main people at the heart of this thing like those annoying lawyers and American industry voice actors.

Weird. The reaction I saw on Twitter was, "Oh, sounds like Toye's an a-hole, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the case at hand."
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Weird. The reaction I saw on Twitter was, "Oh, sounds like Toye's an a-hole, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the case at hand."

Not to mention that, uh, there's no evidence of physical abuse. I mean, come on, it's one thing to call out Weaver's story, but surely we can do better than bad-faith whataboutism?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4