• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop & Tokyo Godfathers Writer, Wolf's Rain Creator Keiko Nobumoto Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:13 am Reply with quote
sdsichero wrote:
So sad. May she rest in peace.
Going to see Macross Plus in theaters next week. Will have her in my thoughts. Sad

Me as well. What sadly ironic timing.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:22 am Reply with quote
She helped make some of my favorite Animes. This has been a f$%#ed up year Sad Crying or Very sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I suspect it was because she smoked a lot of cigarettes-I had a dear friend who was a chain smoker pass away from the same thing. You'd think it would be lung cancer but in any case RIP.
I have wondered if she was the one who decided that the main characters in CB, outside of the child, were all chain smokers.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:42 am Reply with quote
I am one of the few people on this planet who thinks Wolf's Rain is actually well-written. And is damn near perfect. She will always have my respect.
Adizcool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:16 am Reply with quote
Devastating news. She contributed to some eternal classics in anime. I hope she rests in peace.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
I am one of the few people on this planet who thinks Wolf's Rain is actually well-written. And is damn near perfect. She will always have my respect.

I think there's a lot more than a few of us. Wolf's Rain is a genuine masterpiece.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Echoing everyone else, one of the absolute greats and wrote some of my favorite anime and episodes.

ChrissyC wrote:
Rest in peace, Keiko Nobumoto. She contributed to the medium. I always wished that she would've contributed more frequently, because her writing was unmatched.

Same. I'd always wished we'd been able to get more shows from her.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
She was an uncommon talent. Cowboy Bebop enveloped many things that I loved or would come to love. She wrote that when she was in her early thirties, but some of it felt like something that somebody with a lot more mileage would have known. Esophogeal cancer is a story that we've heard before; it's a shame that it was her last one, but thank mercy it wasn't her only one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tasknillusion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
This so devastating. She was truly a really gifted creator. Cowboy Bebop of course but Wolf's Rain was a transcedental moment for me. Her work was absolutely mesmerizing and beautiful. The series, films and and video games she was involved in were all stellar. So much of what she created was really about strangers, who you normally wouldn't put together, create a bond with one another and that bond being torn apart or going their separate ways.

As fantastical as these stories were, they were very human and really spoke to people who may have felt misplaced or rejected from society. This is inappropriate to say but I really wish she created more. She worked on a lot but Wolf's Rain is such a masterpiece. The ending is unrivaled.

For the longest I thought she also wrote Millennium Actress but it was Tokyo Godfathers. She was truly a gifted storyteller.

Rest in Peace and Power Keiko
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain is still one of Bones' best anime, Cowboy Bebop is a classic, and Macross Plus is still one of the best Macross titles. Keiko Nobumoto was an iconic writer and she'll be missed. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones.
Picky33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
RIP, we lost another Legend
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Why must some of the best people always be taken so soon?

R.I.P Keiko Nobumoto-san Thanks a lot for contributing your great works to my childhood and teenage years.

May the gates of paradise open up wide for you and you find a large field of moon flowers on the other side with all that you hold dear in your heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3