• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I think it's clear that Eren is being influenced by the inherited memories, so Mikasa isn't entirely wrong when she said that he's been brainwashed (although it's ironic that Eren said the same about her bloodline). That explains the huge shift in his outlook and personality.

But ultimately, I think the biggest deal-breaker that ultimately influence his actions―both for him and Zeke―is their father...

Blood- wrote:
Kind of disappointing that after an awesome episode like 73, aptly titled "Savagery," that we get a limp biscuit for the penultimate episode of the Final Season. Actually, to tell you the truth, it's hard to imagine everything getting wrapped up with one episode to go, so I have to assume there will be a Final Season, Part 2?

I get that, compared to episode 73 which is basically watching a glorious trainwreck, episode 74 is less... "glorious". But plot development-wise, it's significant because it reveals how their father is the one who set the cogwheel in motion for both of them in the first place.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I get that, but generally when you start to get to the end of an action adventure title, you expect things to kind of go balls out as the end nears. Interrupting that flow and pace struck me as a bit odd. Having said that, if the next episode really isn't the final one of the entire franchise, it's more forgivable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I was a little surprised that Levi did not leave one of the titan alive so that he could feed Zeke to them, saving them. Although it is probably in character that he would act on instinct to kill them all. At that point still I think it should have been clear that Zeke was too dangerous to have living even when wounded. He should have already figured out that the paralytic effects of Zeke's spinal fluid was a lie, and the place Levi would be taking him could give Zeke a fresh supply of tians. Considering the knowledge of the wine going to the top brass, it might seem smarter a bet to just kill Zeke, and just hope that the corpse alone will be enough.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:15 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:

(and honestly I'm not sure why the subs didn't come out for the previous episode last week).

Last week's episode got preempted in Japan for news coverage on an earthquake that happened about 15 minutes after the episode started.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:13 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Last week's episode got preempted in Japan for news coverage on an earthquake that happened about 15 minutes after the episode started.

Ah.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:00 am Reply with quote
#75 End (for now)

This is not the first time this franchise has used the same technique: splitting roughly a quarter's worth of shows into two parts separated by a significant length of time (6 to 12 months). There's already an announcement this series has an episode #76 for the end of the year, so this rules out a full-length movie to round things off.

The Jaegar faction has absolutely no idea that their grand plans involving Zeke have completely gone up in smoke. I have no idea what the true identity of that aberrant Titan is, but as soon as it wakes up and gains sentience it'll be a big magnet for all of the competing factions to further their goals. If by a long shot it happens to be Levi who somehow managed to inject himself with spare Titan serum before dying, that will REALLY make things interesting. I don't think that's the case though, so having Levi dead hurts the islanders more since his combat ability is going to be sorely missed now that the Marleyans have started their counter-raid.

I'm surprised Yelena decided to reveal the grand plan of racial genocide to the rest of the prisoners. I'm even more surprised Armin agreed to the goal, despite the rest of this colleagues just reacting with abject shock. Armin's always been more intellectual than the others, but even he will have to realise that the means and the end are not so simple to reconcile.

I'm still not fond of Gabi; if the franchise is using her as a symbol of Marleyan brainwashing being convinced otherwise through experience, her latest rescue by her ex-colleagues won't change her mindset of the bigoted zealot. As for Falco, Zeke's untimely demise means the rebellion by the Jaegar faction has effectively failed if word gets out Zeke is no longer alive. As things stand, the islanders cannot resist the raid because most of their armed forces are held captive and cannot be trusted by the rebels to push back the Marleyans. Eren seems confident, but he's not good enough to take out three enemy Titans without the aid of his former allies.

It's been an interesting arc, it started off unusually and the turn of events since the capital raid has turned the series on its head. I'm still looking forward to more, but have to acknowledge this series won't end in any way that's going to be happy for most parties, unlike the premise of the initial seasons.
TheBohrokMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
I've never given attack on titan a try, I wonder if it's worth getting into, especially for someone how hasn't seen a lot of anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
TheBohrokMan wrote:
I've never given attack on titan a try, I wonder if it's worth getting into, especially for someone how hasn't seen a lot of anime.

Personally, I think it's worth your while to try the first few episodes of Season 1. I think you'll know pretty quickly if it is for you or not. I've seen a ton of anime and this is among my favourite action shows ever.
TheBohrokMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I’ll check it out, thanks!
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
75, final:

Of course it's not the end of AoT yet. No one in the right mind would think that, after revealing what a shitstorm (not in a bad way, I mean) the plot is turning out to be, the final season / grand finale can wrap up in just 16 episodes.

9/10. It's a no-brainer.

AoT: Final Season is that kind of grand finale that makes you know through sheer presence that this is the "Big One". Yes, kinda like Avengers: Endgame. And what makes it special isn't its status as the grand finale of AoT. It's the huge change in plot and direction style. Like I mentioned before, it's on the Last of Us Part 2 approach: the bleak direction where the protagonists and antagonists are taking on "gray roles" and you can't tell exactly who to root for anymore. Eren has essentially become Ellie, i.e. the innocent hero who evolved (devolved?) into a nihilistic aggressor bent on completing the mission, by any means necessary. At the same time, the story is telling you that war sucks, nobody really wins, many people will eventually lose, morality means jack shit in war, and telling the good guys from the bad isn't always clear-cut.

But I love it. The same way I love LoU2 (yes, despite many people hating and dishing out death threats to the people behind that game). I'm not naive to think that we will get a good ending. We're getting a bad ending one way or another. But you know what? I'm fine with it, even if a good ending always feel better. It's because I respect a ballsy direction when I see one. Neil Druckmann took on a huge risk with his creative direction, and I thoroughly respect it. The same goes for AoT: Final Season, and I will give credit where credit is due.

The season also doesn't skimp on the production values, which is a no-brainer: I can't imagine this franchise sabotaging itself at this point, after creating an unparalleled legacy such as this. It's been an epic ride, and I can't wait for AoT's own Endgame.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:51 pm Reply with quote
#76-77

Guessed wrong about the mysterious Titan from before the interval. Turns out it was Zeke who survived the rocket blast head on. We only have Hange's word that Levi is dead, but I don't think their role in this story is finished yet. There is only one thing that will save Levi and I'm not sure it's still intact for Hange to save him quickly (and hopefully find someone sentient to eat nearby). Not having Levi as an active combatant is a big loss for the Islanders, but the ongoing battle is doing the classic franchise trick of getting momentum to switch wildly between both sides between episodes so there's a while to go before some conclusion is reached.

I thought Armin had a tough sell to get the rest of his compatriots to rally round Eren. For the time being, they've agreed to work with him but for how long? Eren has done too much damage to their relationship for any of them to trust him fully like they did prior to this final season. At any rate they are at best bystanders for now as they cannot approach the Titans with too much Marleyan covering fire, so it reduces the odds of another of the Scout ensemble losing their lives.

The only way the Marleyans were going to have their advance checked was for Zeke to show up. Now the odds are more even with the Marleyans losing their blimp support, but they've done enough damage against the Jaegarist defenders to hold the upper hand for now. As cool as it is to see Eren use the War Hammer powers in a creative manner, it's only a matter of time before he's overwhelmed and eaten unless something dramatic happens. Zeke lost most of his shoulder and upper arm with that shot, so he's not out of the fight yet. What happens afterwards is going to determine how the show is going to move forward after this prolonged opening spell.

Regardless of all the action, there's still time for the animators to give character development a brief spotlight. I don't remember Nile, but his treasonous act was a decency personified. I'm hoping he's wrong and can see his family again. As for Gabi, she's now reached the same conclusion as Falco and Reiner. Whether or not that will win her back into the good graces of viewers who won't forgive her for killing Sasha is another thing altogether.

The OP and ED hint that the rumbling WILL happen, and that something has happened to Paradis Island to reduce it to a state where nature has completely reclaimed it. Not sure what's a spoiler and what's artistic license, but it's something to note as this long-running franchise finally moves towards its animated conclusion.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:02 pm Reply with quote

Well that was interesting. Failure to shoot and kill the Beast Titan means the plot continues to progress, but the cost to everyone involved is astronomically high and with interest. Zeke has put all of his eggs in one basket and if it means the sacrifice of his family so be it. Interestingly, this means Gabi and Falco have no long-term future, since it's the former who will outlive the latter unless she too inherits Reiner's powers. Falco's role in this story is not over yet, although I'm quite sure Gabi is beyond any hope of redemption having successfully killed two major characters.

Armin was right (he always is). Eren was indeed playing along with his brother, but if he's not going for extermination what is his aim? He asked for the Founder's power, but he's not explained to anyone what he really wants to do with it. There's the small issue of Eren having his head blown off with an anti-Titan rifle, so theoretically he's dead unless he's "fixed" the same way Zeke was in the intervening episodes.

The next episode will most likely take a break from the ongoing action and delve into something really surreal, if the trailer is anything to go by. Animators need a break, so an episode with more talk and less action should be a good breather and keep the costs down while explaining what the hell is going on to the anime-only viewers.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:14 am Reply with quote
78:

Not particularly surprised to see that Eren isn't really gonna go ahead with Zeke's plan to euthanize all Eldians. The crux of the whole season is basically figuring out what the hell Eren's thinking, and Armin's bet pays off (in fact, it's shown that Armin's ingenuity and foresight are what makes him formidable... isn't that why Levi sees him as someone to save over Erwin back when he had to choose who to save?). The only big surprise is how Zeke pulls out a "NO U" card and call Eren's bluff.

More importantly for me, is how we finally see the significance of Falco's role in the show. Right from the onset, I questioned what kind of role he is playing especially when he seems to be playing a pivotal one this season. I just couldn't figure what it is until now. With him now gaining the Jaw Titan's powers, he clearly gains a trump card to sway the plot. I can see how important his role is now, but I still can't imagine how he's going to influence the story.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:30 am Reply with quote

If you're watching the show purely for the action set pieces and gore, you can safely skip the episode and not miss anything to pump the adrenaline. Those watching this for the plot and character development cannot miss this, as it answers some questions and throws up more interesting ones for good measure.

Zeke thinks he's been holding all of the cards and can bargain against Eren from a position of strength. By the end of this episode the tables have turned and it is Zeke who needs to be careful he doesn't lose his biggest trump card and everything he's got riding on it. Viewers (and some of Eren's peers) already know the protagonist isn't an ideal hero, but it's only in this episode viewers are shown just how dangerous Eren really is. His own admission that he would deprive others of their freedom if they were to seize his sounds like him, and not the memory Gestalt pulling the strings. Those memories are certainly something to reckon with, Eren being what he is does appear to be mostly independent of their influence even if his father was held hostage by them.

The whole picture behind the massacre is also a disturbing one. Turns out Eren had a much bigger role in this than was initially suggested, due in no small part to how the memories can be viewed and manipulated to influence actual events. As a side effect, the Gestalt allows the bearer to view the entire spectrum regardless of the space-time continuum and the actual owner of a specific memory, which was first hinted two seasons ago just after the Scouts made it to the port. Grischa knows what Eren wants, but viewers will need to be frustrated for a bit longer.

The series has come this far from its original beginnings as an apocalyptic action survival story. Now to see what happens when the family's fear of the Founder's powers falling into human hands becomes a reality.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:28 am Reply with quote
79:

Uhh. Trying to wrap my head around this one.

So... the Attack Titan is able to see the future and influence the past? This of course would fug the mind of anybody because it's paradoxical to have the power of seeing the future and changing what already has happened. You need time travel to do that, but even so, the paradox at play is the big white elephant in the room.

This show just keeps dropping bombs. Even if I know another one is coming, I can't quite prepare myself on what's to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 104 of 107