• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A missing author of the Fist of the North Star TV review from 1999 (a DB error?)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

There is a writing about an outrageous classic: Fist of the North Star TV review, but either due to an operator mistake or an early site's database glitch, the authors' name is not displayed.

Apparently, this is one of the early reviews on the site, hence lacklustre spelling correction as well as funny contradictions like this:

Quote:
There are a few interesting moments, but overall, unless you really like the manga series or movie, I simply can't reccomend this series.
Overall (dub) : B-

If anyone of old ANN staff is still here sometimes, maybe one could remember who was writing reviews back in the day.

Web archive says that the review was "Edited by: Christopher Macdonald", but there is no information who has written it. And even earlier version of the ANN site, the original one, indicates that the review has appeared no later than by the end of November, 1999.

It looks like the very first review ever on the site with a real URL animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=1 (nowadays it is beautified to animenewsnetwork.com/review/8-man-after-perfect-collection-dvd) is written by Chris Shepard, so maybe the review in question is also written by him.

If Chris Shepard is still out there somewhere, I could not find him since the name combination is pretty common, so I can not ask.

Then I noticed that the review in question is #137, so I also checked nearby review numbers #135,136, 138, 139, and they are all anonymous on the current site.

Thus, maybe it is not a mistake, and they were all written by Christopher Macdonald, not just "edited" by him?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1