• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shangri-La Frontier (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:21 am Reply with quote
That was a fun side quest episode, it truly showed off how much of an unique gamer Sunraku is (though many gamers will be familiar with the cruel rng goddess). The question is whether the crystal stuff is gonna be worth all the trouble it took.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was pretty fun. Somebody - Gina I think - mentioned before how freakishly expressive Sunraku's face is even though we can only see his eyes. And man, those eyes got a workout this episode. Greedy, gleeful, despairing, deranged, excited, scared crapless, and all of em' at max intensity. Honestly, this kind of reminded me of a Looney Tunes episode, and he was Wile E. Coyote falling down the same cliff over and over.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:24 am Reply with quote
Geez, I enjoyed episode 25, but there was like, the opposite of closure at the end there. Good thing they've officially announced that season 2 is already in the works.

Couple of rando observations:

- Last week, Sunraku reminded me of Wile E. Coyote. This week that Puss in Boots character (I know his name is like a combination of Aramis from the Three Musketeers and a Japanese dessert but I can't remember the exact spelling) reminded me of Pepe Le Pew,

- Wasn't expecting Pencil Gon to be saying "Watch me Set-Chan" as her last words of the season. Is there gonna be some Pencil-Gon/Psyger-Gon tension at some point?

- When the blacksmith bunny, Bilac, told Sunraku that he was in a position to trigger some major world shaking events and that he should be careful, I distinctly thought "Umm...maybe you haven't noticed, but being careful isn't exactly in Sunraku's skillset..."

edited because I still don't do grammar checks before I hit the submit button like a dumbass.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:04 am Reply with quote
I really love the show. The first season was one crazy adventure with lots of interesting areas/quests, hectic fights and plenty of fun goofs. The pacing allowed for plenty of worldbuilding making it seem like a game that would actually be fun to roam around it. The show looking and sounding amazing helped too.

As for the story, I went in wanting to see a crazy trash game lover go buck wild in a big game world and got exactly that. If you went in expecting some isekai or evil game company plot then you will be disappointed. For once it seems to be what is on the cover.

Looking forward to season 2.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25 (Finale)

This gets a Good rating from me. I wasn't as big a fan as some of you here. I have to admit that after 25 'sodes, Sunraku's "GARRR, I'M JUST GONNA RUSH IN AND DO ZERO THINKING" schtick ran out of charm for me. And after all this chit chat about "finding out the truth of this world" at the end of the episode, Season 2 BETTER be more than, "hey, let's watch some dude play a video game where the stakes are really low." I say low stakes because the only penalty for dying in SLF (unless you're a PKer) seems to be being sent back to a save point. No loss of experience, skills, items... nothing. Lame.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I totally forgot that we were a good 25 episodes in, so of course it was likely going to end here, even if the story didn't quite feel like a definitive stopping point. I would think that teaming up with the lore guild would be fine, he could give a limited amount of information and it would still be plenty to get other information in return.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Geez, I enjoyed episode 25, but there was like, the opposite of closure at the end there.
- This week that Puss in Boots character (I know his name is like a combination of Aramis from the Three Musketeers and a Japanese dessert but I can't remember the exact spelling) reminded me of Pepe Le Pew,

- Wasn't expecting Pencil Gon to be saying "Watch me Set-Chan" as her last words of the season. Is there gonna be some Pencil-Gon/Psyger-Gon tension at some point? ...

Yeah, it was really evident that Ep25 was one big set up for the next season but I liked how they "naturally" slipped the bits in, like introducing a couple of new characters that hint at coming plot elements by their existence or what they say. I saw The Professor coming in the other thread 6 weeks ago but absolutely love the gag of having the old-guy voice to go with the cute (Divinity Age?) girl avatar. I would so want to do that if there were such a game...

You are likely thinking of Anmitsu but that means "anko-in-syrup" so I doubt there is a direct connection, but I see strong Puss-in-Boots as well as Whispers of the Heart/The Cat Returns references, the latter borrowing from elements of the Irish/Scottish myth of the Cat-Sith (Cait-Sidhe as sometimes rendered) itself used in the fairy tale "King O'Cats" mentioned there and here as well. And definite Pepe-Le-Pew, loving that!

While there may be mistaken tension between Psyger-0 and Arthur for Senraku's affection, the line is a direct reference to Pencilgon's commitment to Setsuna at her grave at the end of Ep20. Also loving her wearing the "Flower Pin of Bygone Prayers" as a reminder of Setsuna's loving wishes for Wethermon and statement of their possible metaphysical connection.

All-in-all this episode has me so hyped for S2 it will be hard to wait until fall...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:29 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
While there may be mistaken tension between Psyger-0 and Arthur for Senraku's affection, the line is a direct reference to Pencilgon's commitment to Setsuna at her grave at the end of Ep20.

All-in-all this episode has me so hyped for S2 it will be hard to wait until fall...

Durrrrr. Thanks, I totally brain farted there.

And it's as soon as next fall? That's awesome!
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Week to week, each episode was either one of my favorite things to watch....or the dullest thing I sat down for all week. So I'm decidedly mixed on the show. When Pencilgon, Katso, and Sunraku were all interacting, the chemistry was great, and the show rocked. The Wethermon fight is a premier example of how to do a big multi-episode fight- it looked great, there was narrative progression in each installment, and I was enraptured throughout.

Past that? I had a better time reading the news on my phone. And that's not great. I don't find the Rabbituzans to be engaging. I don't think Sunraku, himself, is particularly interesting. And while I realize that the show mines a lot of enjoyment from watching "gamer stuff" happen, if that's what I wanted I would watch an actual Let's Play.

I also felt...eh, I guess "nickeled and dimed" is as good a phrase as any- by the repeated intro and the SLF mini shorts, neither of which I felt contributed any value, and spent a not insignificant amount of time across the show's run. These probably wouldn't bother me as much if so much of the plot didn't feel like very pretty spinning wheels, buying time before something actually interesting happens.

So, I'm left with very high highs, and very boring lows. Would probably watch the next season, but I would binge watch it, rather than week-to-week.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:54 am Reply with quote
I get that the show isn't everyone's cuppa, but I just saw that Worst Anime of 2024...what, ad? Trailer? Anyway, one of those things that float up in the right corner of my laptop screen.

And Shangri-La Frontier was on Anime News Network's list of worst anime of Winter 2024. So was Solo Leveling and The Wrong Way to Do Healing Magic.

I'll just leave it at that. Kind of reeks for itself.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:35 am Reply with quote
That whole thing is a mess due to the name/indication. The reviewers avoid the truly bad anime from the start and so choose the worst of the good ones and then proceed to label those the worst anime of the season. That said, seeing shows like Solo Leveling and Shangri-La being mentioned as worst feels like a clown show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:29 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I get that the show isn't everyone's cuppa, but I just saw that Worst Anime of 2024...what, ad? Trailer? Anyway, one of those things that float up in the right corner of my laptop screen.

And Shangri-La Frontier was on Anime News Network's list of worst anime of Winter 2024. So was Solo Leveling and The Wrong Way to Do Healing Magic.

I'll just leave it at that. Kind of reeks for itself.

Oh yeah, that generated a lot of chatter in the talkback thread, believe me. It's as smurky said but compounded by the fact that personally I get the impression that the average ANN reviewer doesn't watch very many new titles per season. Unlike us, they seem to have one of those things that gets in the way of watching 30+ currently airing shows a season... what is it called again...? Oh yeah: a life.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Smurky - Sounds like they could solve a lot of it by calling it the Worst Good anime or My Petty Personal Pick For Worst Anime.

Blood - should I assume the reviewers have about seven other jobs and that they do this kind of stuff for beer and egg money? That's sort of makes sense. Personally, I would hesitate to pick the worst anime because I only watched one episode of the ones I really didn't like, and that doesn't seem enough to make that kind of a sweeping statement. But I'd hate to go back and watch 12 episodes of an anime I didn't like just to try to be fair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10