• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime music themes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote
I was just curious about the people who write the lyrics for the music themes in anime. I guess it's something they do in Japan, but have you ever noticed that none of the lyrics have a rhymne(sp?) scheme? Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just found it amusing that they are all like that.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:44 am Reply with quote
Well, it is in Japanese, and unlike English, there are a lot of synonyms that can possibly confuse people if it's used in the wrong context. Rhyme schemes sound a little better in English, but that's because English is my native langauge. Rhyme schemes in Japanese music though, don't bug me.

It's more about the notes and pitches to me. Or, I'll just take the music and instrumentals.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:50 am Reply with quote
You're right, and when I don't read the subtitled lyrics, the songs still sound amazing.
joeasakurajr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote
What always gets me is the fact that anime has the market on amazingly catchy, memorable theme songs cornered and then some. Regardless of language, the feeling and the music being as well-written as it is, is what gets me going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DrSkrud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote
I think it might have something to do where the anime studios realize that music is as important an aspect of a show as the artwork or the story, and they certainly strive to make one cohesive show complete with excellent music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:25 am Reply with quote
Point for DrSkrud!

Anime is art, music is art, story is art. Smash it all together in the correct proportions and you can get magical things. Often the themes to anime are penned by the original manga-ka or director or other person with a more intimate attachment to the anime. It helps that many of the seiyuu have side-careers in music as well!! Anime hyper

Part of the problem with a rhyme scheme is the language itself. English is very rythmic, if you are given poetry/lyrics you speak it in a natural rythym. Japanese doesn't give any heed to rhythym! It is sung to the 'feel' of the music as opposed to the 'beat'.
DrSkrud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:48 am Reply with quote
I find the Japanese language lends itself very well music... While in English we're not only bound by the natural rhythm of speech, we also have different stresses on different syllables, which is part of the language. Things just sound weird if you put the emphasis on the wrong syllable. In Japanese every syllable has equal stress, which means you don't get caught up with weird sounding words by maiming a word to fit a certain musical rhythm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
spewmuffin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps what I find most amusing is the random sprinkling of English (read Engrish) phrases in a song that seems to have nothing to do with the song. Prime example: Nadeshiko's opening song! Wink

--
SpewMuffin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DrSkrud

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a rule that every anime theme song (especially for the cheesy shows) must have at least one word or line of Engrish:
Outlaw Star: "Through the Night"
For Those Who Hunt Elves: "Angel Blue"
Kiddy Grade: "Any planets keeping twinkle..." (I still haven't figured out just quite what that's supposed to mean)
Slayers: "Get Along, Try Again"
Inuyasha: "I want to change the world..."
There are many more but I'm not thinking right now...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1