• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cromartie High School (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I love this show. Its so funny. I could watch it all in one sitting with a bag of candy to keep me sugar high. Surprised
ven0m57

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
ok so i just recently watched Cromartie High (forgive me if i'm spelling it wrong i'm in my office) i can honestly say i have seen better but nothing funnier. the charicter designes werent exacly my style Confused so it was a bit distracting but most of the jokes there...absolutly hilariouse, i cant say enough about how random and funny the new classmate spoiler[ Mechazawa] was.

Last edited by ven0m57 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
My ex had this box set, and just put it in one day when I was over. I was dubious, but pretty soon I couldn't stop laughing. It's just so absurd and out there.

We started showing some of these at the anime club, and converted the rest of the members over to it as well.

I agree that you shouldn't watch too much of it at once, but the individual episodes are exactly the right length to squeeze in a couple at a time. After that, it's probably a good idea to watch something else to save your brain from rotting away.

It's funny that you guys bring up Azumanga Daioh, because I've often wonder what would happen if the ladies from Daioh encountered the guys from Cromartie. Now that would be very frightening.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Hepzibah wrote:

It's funny that you guys bring up Azumanga Daioh, because I've often wonder what would happen if the ladies from Daioh encountered the guys from Cromartie. Now that would be very frightening.

Most likely someone alreadly thought about that and made a cross over fanfiction about that.

But if Tony K states that is a hilarious series, I might just check this out. Typically all of the staff here know what they are talking about, so that is why I said that.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I think one of my favorite things about this show is the 'idiot logic'... there's a lot of great random humor, to be sure- but at the same time, a lot of humor comes from these guys genuinely trying to think things through (like Kamiyama's "note" at Manuel High School Laughing .)

It takes a special kind of genius to use seemingly sound logic and arrive at these absurd conclusions.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Hey, there was a Cromarite topic! yay!
So, I got the series ages ago when it came out in singles, one of the few series I've done that with. It's still my favorite comedy anime, but I rather compare it to Monty Python and the Holy Grail in some way. Here we have a bunch of characters talking in deadpan humor style who talk like they're incredibly smart but are really talking about nothing in circles. I could imagine the Cro High cast doing the witch scene from Holy Grail. Vice versa, I could see Monty Python doing the "school is boring, I just want a little something to make me laugh!" scene too. I just put in a disc at random whenever I need a quick pick me up or dose of anime, it never gets old somehow! The "zawa" in my username does come directly off of Mechazawa.

But, I've also got all the of the manga that ADV released over here (12 volumes), and by comparison, the anime almost feels like a supplement, the manga covers so much more it's ridiculous. Really wish someone would pick it up again and finish it, they just introduced spoiler[teachers in volume 11 or 12! Yes, cro high has teachers, they just sit in the teacher's lounge and talk about nothing the same way the students do but in a different room!] and the four great ones (all five of them) who appeared for about 5 seconds in the last episode get a lot of coverage in the manga (almost too much in my opinion). There's also quite a few things in the opening that makes sense if you'd read the manga (such as why Masked Takenouchi is hitting a pillow). I also notice that the manga is organized in a such a way that you turn the page and punch line is on the top of the very next one, very clever, wish other series did that.

No one else I know personally has read as much of the manga as I have, but I must say that both the show and the manga are totally awesome and totally worth it, I'd try to snatch as many of the manga as you can find if you like the show (order doesn't particularly matter, it's episodic enough, so don't be heartbroken if you can't find one). The sad thing is that it looks like ADV was going to release vol 13, it has images on some places and everything, but then they stopped! GRRR! Let someone else pick up those manga rights for the rest of us! Wikipedia says it's 17 volumes long, they were so close! Still, they feel like they're the same yet different, I like them both in different ways.

Also, my favorite episode is #21, the one where everyone is one the bullet train for their school trip and they end up not going anywhere, which leads to a Shirley Temple drinking contest and the long line at the bathroom where Kamiyama says what was quite possibly my favorite line in the whole show ("It was me!", more the way he said it and the situation).
Zewerr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
My friend once told me about Cro way back when. He watched a bunch of it back when they played it on G4. He recommended I rent it through Netflix, so I went ahead and threw it in my queue, not knowing what to expect. I watched the first two disks and thought they were absolutely freakin' awesome. When I got the third disk, I suggested my brother to watch it. Both of us were truely impressed. I picked up the thin pack shortly after and always fall back to it from time to time. (A suggestion for those of you who want to buy the series. Get the individual volumes. The box sets are nice, but you can get all the single volumes for the same price if you look around. They have great cultural notes, and volume three is without a doubt thee best DVD menu of ALL DVD MENUES!) I soon bought the complete set for my brother for Christmas.

The more I watch Cro, the better and better it gets. I originally rated it "Excellent". But after watching it through several times, I upgraded it to a ""Masterpiece". And now, I've made it my absolute favorite anime.

My brother and I constantly quote lines from the show. I have the soundtrack on my computer and my phone. I have implemented "Feddy no Theme" into my PS3 games. I've also created some Cro themed t-shirts. I'm kinda obsessed. If I ever get some extra money and time, I even have the urge to make a real life Mechazawa motorcycle.

It's probably the only anime I've recommend to people that aren't anime fans. I've let people at work borrow it. I've made my roommates watch it. And none of them are ever dissapointed.

People say it's it's dumbed down humor, but I actually think it's brilliant. Kamiyama will throw thoughts out there that are just so off the wall every episode. Fudgin' brilliant!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ven0m57

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
back when i was home, about 6 of my friends and I sat down one night and watched every episode lol i agree it was insanely funny. and totaly random. though i think thats what makes the humor really work.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember exactly why I picked up the Cromartie anime, but volume 1 came bundled with the first volume of the manga. Normally, I would have been annoyed at a bit like in the first episode where Kamiyama is explaining the worst thing he did in middle school (I think that was the set up), and instead of finishing the explanation, he said to go and buy the manga. Cheap advertising tie-in, right? Except since I had the manga anyway, it was easy enough to check out, and it was pretty well worth it. So from there, I bought all the rest of the manga that was available. There's just so much more that the anime never even gets to, and the quirky sense of humor totally gets to you.
ven0m57

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
I have yet to read the manga but after seeing the anime and the things i have heard of the manga i am def planing on getting it soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4