• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Bunny Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babbo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
babbo wrote:
Zac wrote:
I think there are people who are just fans of taboo. It doesn't really matter how it's executed or if the story's any good, it only matters if it's "shocking" or against socially accepted attitudes.

Then they can totally blow your mind by how open-minded they are.

Just like people who are fans of a show no matter how crappy the rotoscoping is. Silly hipsters Neutral

Yea, cause rotoscoping is "shocking" and "against socially accepted attitudes". Its a taboo equivalent to incest! Yea... Rolling Eyes

It's the same principle. Liking something that the majority of people have a problem with in order to stand out.

Also, um there's no incest in Usagi drop. People are mostly creeped by an old guy marrying a girl he raised as a daughter.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
babbo wrote:
Zac wrote:
I think there are people who are just fans of taboo. It doesn't really matter how it's executed or if the story's any good, it only matters if it's "shocking" or against socially accepted attitudes.

Just like people who are fans of a show no matter how crappy the rotoscoping is. Silly hipsters Neutral

Yea, cause rotoscoping is "shocking" and "against socially accepted attitudes". Its a taboo equivalent to incest! Yea... Rolling Eyes

It's the same principle. Liking something that the majority of people have a problem with in order to stand out.

Also, um there's no incest in Usagi drop. People are mostly creeped by an old guy marrying a girl he raised as a daughter.

Father/daughter stuff aside, Rin actually is a biological half-aunt to Daikichi.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:

Father/daughter stuff aside, Rin actually is a biological half-aunt to Daikichi.

Actually, spoiler[I believe they reveal at the end that they aren't biologically related. Which is really just an awful cop-out. In any case, people are referring to this as incest mainly because it would be on an emotional level. For the first four volumes, Daikichi acted in a fatherly capacity, and is assumed to do so until Rin is about 16 and suddenly wants to be involved with him. To me at least, it was never about blood.]

If the series had made it clear from the beginning where it was going, we wouldn't be having these issues, honestly. I would've looked at it and turned right around. As it stands, many readers were not expecting the turn of events, became invested, and then were given an ending that twisted prior characterization on top of the 'it's only real if there's blood' belief.

Animegomaniac wrote:

In Bunny Drop there's a scene where Rin talks to Daikichi about marrying him and pats his bed in anticipation of "things to come"; That sickened me.

That...actually happens, too?
babbo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
babbo wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
babbo wrote:
Zac wrote:

spoiler[Wrong, you clearly haven't read the whole series]
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Eisenmann V wrote:

spoiler[Wrong, you clearly haven't read the whole series]

huh
spoiler[Seeing people kinda said there's 'real' incest here show me some really dropped this one after the turn of events] Laughing

Agent355 wrote:
Just curious, what shonen manga with "strong BL subtext" are you referring to?

Rugby-bu.
While I read almost any genre/demographic for manga, but weirdly enough I was so shocked at how I was so pissed off at this one... More like, "I read shounen not to find this"... but well maybe because that I-read-all thingy that makes me kinda sensitive in grouping which content should be where...
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
I keep thinking that actually, Masako (the mom) is the most interesting character in this manga. I would have liked to read the story from her perspective.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
babbo wrote:
Zac wrote:

Well, in your quest to call me a hypocrite or whatever it is you're doing with this bit, you're ignoring something pretty important.

While Flowers of Evil was on the air I never saw anyone claiming that the only reason they enjoyed it was because everyone else disliked it and that makes them feel special (because that's a dumb obvious strawman anyway, an attitude people don't actually have). Nor did I ever see anyone claim that they liked it just because the art style was different or "crappy" as you put it.

However, usually when anything like this comes up - some sort of sexual taboo that's being represented in one form or another - there are always people who talk about how they just like things that challenge societal norms, they also preach about how open-minded they are, and how everyone else should really challenge their preconceived notions about how sexually mature 6-year olds really are or whatever. That to me is a very direct statement that they're "fans" of breaking taboo. Personally I find it a pretty shallow reason to proselytize on behalf of a TV show or a comic book, but hey, different strokes.

It doesn't mean everyone who likes Bunny Drop's conclusion is just obsessed with blowing your mind over how open-minded they are. Nobody suggested that at all. But there is a crowd of folks for whom shows like this are catnip for that reason. It's pretty obvious if you read these discussion threads.

As for Flowers of Evil, I mean, the show is largely forgotten now and for a good reason - it completely peters out at the end, has a garbage non-ending that just tells you to read the rest of the manga and ultimately the show's pacing killed it, but it was a pretty exciting, intriguing and bizarre show for a while and I personally really enjoyed it up until about the halfway point. I didn't "like it because the majority of people didn't", nobody does that, it's a self-serving strawman you're using to run down everyone who enjoyed the series.

But thanks for playing, I guess.
Pylgrim

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
I think that people fail to realise why there is a problem with this stuff, especially the ones saying that it was Rin's "choice as a woman", and focusing on the fact that they're not actually related by blood nor doing anything strictly illegal.

The problem is that Rin is not a woman. At 16, she's still a kid (only 16 year old people and people that never forgave their parents for being strict with them at that age will argue that a 16 year old is not a kid). The manga seem to imply that she never developed relationships with any other male figure besides the childhood friend gone bad, which in turn served as positively contrasting background to the other man in her life. At that age, brain is still developing, while emotions are in full hormone-triggered chaos. Confusion may happen and it is the responsibility of the adult to understand this and reject the advances. With time, frontal brain lobe will set and the foolish (if sweet) emotions of the teen years will give way to properly informed choices that are not simply the result of circumstance and whim.

There is no controversy, there is no "taboo". We are talking of an objective wrong: a grown up man, wittingly or not took advantage of the confused love of a teenager who hardly knew any better. Things like this happen, and while specific circumstances may soften judgement, it will never be occasion for celebration.
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I didn't "like it because the majority of people didn't", nobody does that, it's a self-serving strawman you're using to run down everyone who enjoyed the series.

Well, as a psychological phenomenon, it is very much real, but it happens with things most people have actually HEARD OF. I can't imagine that ever happening with an ANIME, let alone a half-forgotten one like Flowers of Evil. Not in this country, anyway, where anime is back to being a little niche again. Hipsters pretty much ignore anime these days and that's fine with me.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Hating something because too many people like it is still pretty popular, though. So popular, in fact, that I hate it. (I used to like it before it went mainstream.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8