• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Irregular at Magic High School Sub.Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Well, okay, that's all fine and dandy. BUT...that's too little, too late. If the author wanted to develop MC-kun, he should have done it from the start. As it stands, Anime!MC-kun is still a self-insert. His "flaws" are still portrayed as appealing. He never loses anything that means something, and he gets everything he wants. He's still unrealistically competent, and he's still overpowered. I don't think his defenders would be so forgiving if MC-kun were an MC-chan, if you know what I mean.

Honestly, my vision of the story would have casted MC-kun as something like the world-weary mentor to our idealistic cutie protagonist. My version of MC-kun is someone who's been used and abused by an unfair system, and has grown cynical and aloof to the point that his admirers are too scared to get near him. Essentially, he would be the Broken Ace. I'm not getting that vibe from Canon!MC-kun.

EDIT: Hallelujah! I found a drinking game on TV Tropes dedicated to how much of a Marty Stu Tatsuya is! This is the best day EVER!
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Well, okay, that's all fine and dandy. BUT...that's too little, too late. If the author wanted to develop MC-kun, he should have done it from the start. As it stands, Anime!MC-kun is still a self-insert. His "flaws" are still portrayed as appealing. He never loses anything that means something, and he gets everything he wants. He's still unrealistically competent, and he's still overpowered. I don't think his defenders would be so forgiving if MC-kun were an MC-chan, if you know what I mean.

Honestly, my vision of the story would have casted MC-kun as something like the world-weary mentor to our idealistic cutie protagonist. My version of MC-kun is someone who's been used and abused by an unfair system, and has grown cynical and aloof to the point that his admirers are too scared to get near him. Essentially, he would be the Broken Ace. I'm not getting that vibe from Canon!MC-kun.

EDIT: Hallelujah! I found a drinking game on TV Tropes dedicated to how much of a Marty Stu Tatsuya is! This is the best day EVER!

Observing you and your way of responding has made the thought in the back of mind grow that you're just playing around and instigating more arguing. It's fine to play the Devil's Advocate in order to learn more from others perspectives, I do that by asking simple questions and pretty much consume others thoughts and opinions in order to learn more because my knowledge is vastly limited. But when you have to resort to 3rd grade lvl trash talk (it is that, because kids talk that way when making fun of others) and using gifs/memes to get your point across, I have to take your seriousness down to minimum. In order to respond to your question of character development for Tatsuya, I'm gonna back up what Smd said and add on to it:

For all the overpowered abilities Tatsuya has and his calm demeanor, I view Tatsuya as almost like a hermit. He shys away from social gatherings and from other people. In the Enrollment Arc, Tatsuya goes along with Miyuki to the Student Council, to which the president asks her to join as a representative for the 1st years. After the squabble Miyuki brings up of saying Tatsuya is better for the role, he as well as the others say it's not possible. Tatsuya is relieved that the matter is settled, until the topic of having him be part of the Disciplinary Committee is brought up by the chairwoman. He tries everything he can to get out of it with he's unable to, the student animosity, the discrimination between course students. Everything he brings up is shot down and he is pulled into joining.

The same thing happens in the other two arcs like this and as time goes by, he becomes less resistant in joining. I'm not gonna go to specifics because this forum is discussing the first arc. Anything else is spoiling. Of course, the character growth Tatsuya goes through is not ground breaking, nor something that drastically alters his current persona or abilities. But you have to realize there are other kinds of growth to be seen here, in this case, it's social growth. Although his growth has been subtle and easy to over-look.

Before anyone calls bull on me, I've never read the LN, I've only seen the anime. I've presented my evidence from the anime. I think it's best we stop the pointless arguing before this forum ends up like the FSN:UBW thread. Reading all that was an immense strain on the eyes.

Appendum:
If it wasn't for this push to grow socially in the school, he would never have met Sayaka Mibu and end up involved in the Blanche attack personally. If it wasn't for that, he would be going about his day normally when "suddenly" Blanche decided to attack and Tatsuya, in order to protect himself and Miyuki, would annihilate every single attacker there without a second thought. Now this right here, is a good example of blatant Gary Stu acts. Because if he was NOT personally involved in the incident and instead was minding his own business when they attacked. His acts would definitely be outright as claimed acts of Gary Stu. But since he was involved personally through his connection with Mibu, the progression of events that transpired flowed naturally.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
I stopped watching this show after like 5 episodes, but I'd like to point out that if you have to read the books to make the anime not suck, the anime actually still sucks

I've never read the books, and I've watched it a few times and enjoyed it.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is the encapsulation of everything that is wrong with Tatsuya as a character. He didn't use magic to diagnose her, he just knew at a glance, and then told the professionals what they should do about it. It's not the only scene where his judgement is flawless, but it's the perfect distillation of the problem.

The image is blocked but I beieve I recognise the scene. I assume he used to same ability he uses to map out buildings and identify targets at a distance (e.g. when storming the library during the first arc). I believe it is referred to as "elemental sight".

Spotlesseden wrote:
Madhouse has no right to the title if they don't want to make it, Kadokawa can hire another anime studio to make the anime. it's not up to madhouse. yes, some anime can make by two different studio.

Kadokawa don't have the greatest history with finishing shows; they seem more interested in selling more novels and manga - look no further than Full Metal Panic and Haruhi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shaone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Okay. Is being emotionally stunted ever portrayed as a bad thing? Like, how does it inhibit MC-kun? Also, I find it contradictory that while MC-kun is described as having a social faux pas, everybody still loves him and shills him and spends a lot of time with him. It's kind of like when Bella Swan was described as socially awkward, and yet has a whole bunch of people flocking around her all the time. Gee, it's as if the author wants to have his cake and eat it too!

Sure it does but those concerns aren't voiced until the 2nd and 3rd arcs. Several people in places in power are concerned whether Tatsuya will blow a gasket or not due to all the work that is piled on top of him. Does it impact him in dealing with threats outside the school, no. Does it impact him relating to and interacting with his fellow classmates, yes. It is a barrier to interaction. He may gain followers as people admire the accimplishments he and his sister accomplish, but that doesn't prevent him from being clueless in a social situation.

Quote:
Let's have no pretenses. Tatsuya Shiba is a self-insert. None of you described any character development he has to go through, because there is none. The author is convinced he doesn't have to go through any arc because he is perfect. Sure, he may have the faux-flaws of "socially awkward" and "emotionless", but they aren't there to make him look bad, but to make him more endearing. He has a Super Duper Dark and Twagic Backstory to make him more sympathetic, which is not what a backstory is supposed to do. That is the essence of the Sue. They never change, never learn, are always right, are good at everything that matters, and everyone in the story loves them, envies them, or wants to be them. Even Silver Talon admitted that MC-kun is a big fat Marty Stu. Can we just acknowledge that this anime is a wish fulfillment fantasy? There's nothing wrong with that, but when people start pretending it is otherwise, it gets really annoying. It didn't work when Stephenie Meyer tried to do it, so it shouldn't work here.

Then I guess every show has a Marty Stu until they have their first "moment". Does that make Tatsuya a Marty Stu because the anime stops before it happens? The story goes beyond the anime so you're only looking at a part of the work. Tatsuya has social and technical defficiencies making him far from perfect. If you want a Stu, it's Miyuki.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The image is blocked

Why would it be blocked? It's just Photobucket, and I can still see it even if I'm not logged in. Confused
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
@RaylenCypher

No, this is just my honest opinion on the issue. I trust my anime buddies a lot more than I trust MC-kun's defenders. This is just what they said, not me. Calm down, Beavis.

@Shaone

Yes. He's still a Marty Stu if they never get there. So you basically have the story of "Tatsuya Shiba is a super awesome guy who punches people and gets everything he wants and everyone likes him and he never has to struggle or lose anything". Once again, there's a TV Tropes drinking game dedicated to how much of a self-insert he is. Nobody has denied it.

You know, I can't wait to see what everyone's reactions will be ten years down the line, when nobody cares about Mahouka anymore. Remember when Twilight was everywhere, and then Breaking Dawn happened? I honestly believe that nobody is going to care about Mahouka ten years from now. After all, you can't spell "trend" without "end".

EDIT: So, I found this article called "Mahouka is terrible on every level" on this website called, "The Cart Driver". I find it intelligently thought out and very interesting. It explains its points thoroughly and without flammatory language. I recommend a read, IMO. It's kinda long though. (Also, if you have to say "Well, in the ORIGINAL SOURCE MATERIAL", stop it. This review was for an adaptation, darn it. Let's pretend the books don't exist.)
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
If I was angry, I would be smashing my keyboard, caps locking everything I say. I'm not a defender nor in opposition of the matter, I'm here just to discuss and learn from the topic at hand, but sadly there was a brawl going on in the forum when I came to check it out. I wouldn't leave your preferences and tastes in the hands of your friends even if they're close to you. What matter is if you enjoyed the anime or not, you, not them. I'm no Bill Nye the Science guy but I still enjoyed the show and have seen re-watched it a couple of times. I don't think this show is still trending, It's been a year since it's release in April of the spring season. Loads of new shows have been out since then.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, okay then. -3-

...Wait, there was a brawl?

The thing is, me and my anime buddies share a similar taste. (I actually go to school with one of my anime buddies- he's a pretty nice guy) I tend to trust them a lot when it comes to anime recommendations, since we tend to like a lot of the same shows. So when I saw them frothing, I decided to stay FAR away from this show. I'd even watch ALL of Sword Art Online than get involved with Mahouka. At least A-1 Pictures put effort into making that one look unique...
Shaone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
@Shaone

Yes. He's still a Marty Stu if they never get there. So you basically have the story of "Tatsuya Shiba is a super awesome guy who punches people and gets everything he wants and everyone likes him and he never has to struggle or lose anything". Once again, there's a TV Tropes drinking game dedicated to how much of a self-insert he is. Nobody has denied it.

Except he doesn't always gets what he wants. He even has to deny himself the rewards he achieves. That doesn't sound like a Marty Stu to me.

Quote:
You know, I can't wait to see what everyone's reactions will be ten years down the line, when nobody cares about Mahouka anymore. Remember when Twilight was everywhere, and then Breaking Dawn happened? I honestly believe that nobody is going to care about Mahouka ten years from now. After all, you can't spell "trend" without "end".

Does anyone talk about anime 10 years after they've concluded besides Evangelion?
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
@Shaone:

Well, that and Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, most Shonen series, Doraemon, everything Satoshi Kon has every done...

For reference, here's the TV Tropes Drinking game for this show:

TV Tropes wrote:
Take a shot for each sentence of Techno Babble.
Take a swig every time Miyuki says "Onii-sama" and try to stay alive. Two swigs if she blushes at the same time.
Use this for practice. spoiler[Don't drive after this.]
Take a shot/sip everytime Tatsuya is the best at something. Double the amount if it is a historic feat that was never successfully attempted before.
Take a gulp every time Tatsuya utterly destroys his enemies. Empty your glass each time Tatsuya oneshots a named character.
Down the entire keg for spoiler[each time he uses Material Burst in Episode 26. Double the amount the 2nd time he uses it.]
Take a shot every time Tatsuya is praised. Two shots if it's from Miyuki.
Take a sip when a man is jealous of Tatsuya's status or abilities.
Take two sips when Tatsuya insists that the credits to a specific feat he committed belong to someone else.
Take a shot/sip when people joke or talk about incest. Double the amount if it is either Tatsuya or Miyuki.
Chug a bottle if Tatsuya manages to do something that the narration or dialogue states to be all but impossible.
And finally... the Meta.
Each time someone relates Tatsuya Shiba to Objectivism, take a swig. Two if Atlas Shrugged is mentioned.
Go buy a can of beer every time a link on Reddit leads you to /r/OneTrueTatsuya. spoiler[Because you need it.]
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
I can see why Rebecca gave it a positive review in the first half, but this is one of the worst TV shows I've ever watched. Last year Pupa was bad but it was a short show, this really takes the cake. I cringed every time watching it in those six months since I hate dropping, and was really relief when it ended.

I can go much ramble about it but really, it's terrible.

If you're expecting a straight up negative review of an Aniplex of America or Fun image on review I have a feeling your going to be waiting a long long time. B is pretty much the lowest I would have ever expected this to go. I mean come on these are the sites main ad sponsors and a major source of revenue, expecting them to give a straight negative review of anything they release ever is like expecting Kotaku to go give a straight negative review or publicity to a Triple A publisher. Never going to happen. It's one thing when we're talking about previews but once it comes time to review stateside disc releases, yeah fat chance

.Anyway moving on to more serious discussion, what really got me about this show was just how immensely dull they managed to make it like nobody involved gave the slightest damn about what they were doing Everything and everyone in it was so dispassionate and it's not like the show had a weak voice cast or director or anything. It's like everyone just kind of wanted to get the project over with and just cash in on it being one of the most popular light novel licenses at the time. Even Iwasaki, whose soundtracks I normally like didn't seem very into it, small selection of themes too really with lots of repetition.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Jackanapes wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
I can see why Rebecca gave it a positive review in the first half, but this is one of the worst TV shows I've ever watched. Last year Pupa was bad but it was a short show, this really takes the cake. I cringed every time watching it in those six months since I hate dropping, and was really relief when it ended.

I can go much ramble about it but really, it's terrible.

If you're expecting a straight up negative review of an Aniplex of America or Fun image on review I have a feeling your going to be waiting a long long time. B is pretty much the lowest I would have ever expected this to go. I mean come on these are the sites main ad sponsors and a major source of revenue, expecting them to give a straight negative review of anything they release ever is like expecting Kotaku to go give a straight negative review or publicity to a Triple A publisher. Never going to happen. It's one thing when we're talking about previews but once it comes time to review stateside disc releases, yeah fat chance

These articles would beg to differ. animenewsnetwork.com/review/sword-art-online/blu-ray-2 animenewsnetwork.com/review/sword-art-online/blu-ray-3 animenewsnetwork.com/review/one-piece/dvd-season-5/.75273 animenewsnetwork.com/review/the-garden-of-sinners/sub.blu-ray-recalled-out-summer-limited-edition/.88027
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
T.Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
T.Silver wrote:

That can be explained as well, spoiler[he's been trained to handle accidents as a Guardian since he was six].

That's not an explanation of his actions, only of his ability to take that action. If he'd had training as a crimefighter, which he undoubtedly has since he's had training in every conceivable human activity since he was just a fetus, should he step in and tell the police how to do their jobs? Of course, since he's better, faster, stronger, more awesome at it than they could ever hope to be!

I think you're not seeing the problem here. It's not that all his OP can't be explained away, it's that it's there to need to be explained away. It's the excessive OP itself that's the problem, not whether he comes by all of it honestly or not. It's just too much to saddle any one character with without it becoming ridiculous. Which is why it keeps getting ridiculed.

I guess I just simply don't see it as a problem lol, like you do, but its fine. People have different tastes.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Tatsuya's development is basically him becoming more human and developing his emotions. I know its not much, but his character is pre developed in most areas. I know some people don't like this, but a lot of people do like it(like myself).

Tatsuya is a gary stu, I'm not going to deny that, but he's not a full blown stu because a full blown stu is perfect in every aspect. However Tatsuya lacks in areas such as appearance(he's said to look mundane and average at best), technical skills(even in Course 2, he was one of the worst), and of course his emotions(though they have been improving slowly and has made significant gains). Actually Tatsuya isn't even the biggest stu in Mahouka, I would argue that Masaki and Katsuto are bigger ones, both of them excel in just about everything and have no real flaws to pick up on.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
UGHHHHHH....the last two days I was very busy on the preparation to my incoming Grad school (I have to travel to San Francisco [standford]), so I was totally unaware there was actually some heat going on involving me. I do think there are some misunderstandings on this issue, and I have to make it clear:

The post that Izanagi009 referenced was posted by my friend (who does share the same cultural background with me) using my account a year ago (precisely a day after Mahouka's April premier). Long story short, I registered this account on 2008 but didn't make a single comment until that day since (1) I am mostly here for quick anime news (2) I am a very careful person and have to think twice before making a post, and usually end up not posting one at all. During that day, he was visiting my dorm-room and we had a (mostly) friendly debate about Mahouka. He insisted it is a deliberate scheme against China, and I was constantly telling him the story is entirely fictional, so don't over-think it. During the debate, I had to go outside of the dorm-room to take a private call from my parents, and within that period, he apparently found out I was browsing ANN on my laptop (I was reading April Anime preview guide before debating him), thus he used my account and made that comment, my very first ANN forum comment .

It was a day after when I found out he actually made a long rant under my name, and it was too late. I had already become the center of various personal attacks and nasty insults (including my PM). I admit, I was pretty scared that time, so I quickly made a lengthy apology and things calmed down. That was a very unpleasant memory and I did everything I can to make sure people here don't mistaken me as that troll (he is still my friend in real life though, although I refused to talk anything anime-related with him since then).

So, that's the whole story. Believe it or not is entirely up to you. But feel free to visit my comment history. You will find that the tone of the first post and rest of MY posts are almost polar opposite (I will elaborate on that later). I not the kind of person who likes to argue and will NEVER, ever post anything controversial or likely to start a flame-war (yes, call me boring, but that's the kind of person I am in real life AND internet)

In fact, although Mahouka is no where near my favorite LN of all time, I still like it. To an extent I even translated the novel's web version of nine-school competition and Yokohama Disturbance arc; novel version of volume 2 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13, 14 and 15 to Chinese and Korean (fun fact: Mahouka is a very popular LN in China. Although it was never officially licensed and released in mainland for obvious “reason”) I invest quite some personal time on this franchise, and as a Civil and Environmental Engineer, I do like the pseudo-science vibe in this series. Thus, it hurts me deeply when I see people accused me for not knowing the source material for a post that was made by another person.

Altogether, T.Silver, SilverTalon01 and other Mahouka-fans, please understand I am not a Mahouka-hater, if anything, a translator who tries his best to clear up all kinds of misunderstandings. And Izanagi009, please do not bring up that post anymore, I know you did not intend this, but it did become my traumatic memory and I want to move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8