• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Episode Censors More Content on U.S.-Based Streaming Services

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Haven't personally seen the series, but the first full fansub based on the Japanese LD-rips came only two years ago, any fansubs before that were either straight rips from the US DVDs or used the Japanese TV-raws as base. S

You sure about that? I saw the series on fansub nearly two decades ago (VHS, not digital) and while I can't claim my memory from that time is perfect, they sure looked like they were recorded from the LD.

Furthermore, I still have the original SSA subtitle script files from PCB Productions used to make those tapes, dated 1997, and they specify the sync point as the beginning of the LD.

I assume you must be referring to digisubs just recently being available?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
You sure about that? I saw the series on fansub nearly two decades ago (VHS, not digital) and while I can't claim my memory from that time is perfect, they sure looked like they were recorded from the LD.

Well, I assumed the groups only used tv-raws, but if they had access to vhs contemporary to the LD, I admit I may have been wrong. Also,the 26th episode(tv special) was only released on vhs, time-wise taking place before the final battle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8