• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun King

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sun King wrote:
haha that's true, but did you even wonder why there are no stories of a teenage Jesus in the Bible?
You obviously haven't read it then, or have only read an abridged edition. Wink

Aye, reading two thousand year old fairy tales isn't really my thing. But I was actually refering to the Lost Books of the Bible that aren't included in the current incarnation of the Bible for pretty obvious reasons. No, Jesus doesn't turn gay in 'em, but he does kill children Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist: How the heck did I forget to congratulate you on finishing your book? Sorry about that. Great news and hope you can get it published and in the stores. I'm curious to see what you've come up with.

Fiction Alchemist wrote:
However, I also hate it when sama is translated into lord. I just will be forever bugged by that. It is really not a good translation of the honorific.
Actually, it can be an excellent translation, when the character who has the sama is, in fact, in some sort of aristocracy or political position. When a character is clearly a "lord" in the sense of a ruler, I think it works great.

It's when a character is clearly not in a position of political power, but rather they're given the title out of great personal respect, that it sounds wrong. Like if they'd ditched the sama in the dub for Ai Yori Aoshi. Using "lord" in that story would sound very strange. (There's a trailer for the series where they did this and it sounds pretty off.)

Keeping sama in that dub works. Its when a dub totally ditches even an attempt at honoring the honorifics that I get annoyed. (Bleach dub. Nice casting in my opinion, but must they ditch the honorifics? I mean, for crying out loud they've kept almost every Japanese term otherwise. At least try to use something it their place.)

Neverwhere wrote:
Also agree that we missed you here Richard. Wish people had such nice things to say about me. Hee hee. *grins and gives you a squish* Very Happy
Belated return hug! Would have been back sooner but the weather went to heck. Big lightening, big thunder, and a quirky borrowed computer that requires great patience just to turn on do not make for good posting.

By the way, what did I do to get to be so well liked around here? Seriously, I want to make sure I keep doing it. Shocked

Neverwhere wrote:
*laughs* You really enjoy antagonizing me, don't you. Good thing I like you so much. :- P
Just a little good-natured teasing. You know I like you too much to really antagonize you.

Neverwhere wrote:
The dub really IS that bad though. Razz
It's not the best, I admit. (There, now, you've gone and made me say something less-than-flattering about a dub. Wink )

I'm going to pretend I didn't read Sun King's opinion of the bible as I don't think he's trying to be offensive.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, there are certainly very good reasons why those "lost books" never made it into canon nor are taken very seriously by most scholars and historians. The documentary evidence behind the Bible is quite a fascinating area of study. But yeah, there are some pretty weird versions of the gospel written centuries later with some bizarre stories. Besides those odd tales of shota-Jesus calling lightning bolts to kill people, those questionable "gospels" also contain talking crosses, contradictory sermons, and Jesus saying that women do not belong in the kingdom of heaven. Yeah...and people wonder why these things never made it into canon, lol.

Anyway, from a theological perspective the reason why the Bible doesn't include many stories of a teenage Jesus is because his personal ministry doesn't begin until he is baptized (as an adult) by John the Baptist, to fulfill Old Testament prophecy concerning the Messiah.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Sun King wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sun King wrote:
haha that's true, but did you even wonder why there are no stories of a teenage Jesus in the Bible?
You obviously haven't read it then, or have only read an abridged edition. Wink

Aye, reading two thousand year old fairy tales isn't really my thing. But I was actually refering to the Lost Books of the Bible that aren't included in the current incarnation of the Bible for pretty obvious reasons. No, Jesus doesn't turn gay in 'em, but he does kill children Wink
Yeah well you know what teenagers are like, and his decendents own a vineyard in Bergerac Rolling Eyes
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
I feel like mentioning this cartoon that shows randomly in-between shows on the Nicktoons channel (which is left on the TV every day at my house), called Edgar and Ellen. The siblings always refer to each other as "brother" and "sister" without fail, and it is American made. Just an example.
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but couldn't they make a real series out of those two? Some of those shorts were completely awesome.

Fiction Alchemist wrote:
I wouldn't say that Sun King ISN'T trying to be offensive, though I'm pretty sure he's joking around regardless, and it's good that you give the benefit of the doubt.
I try to give people as much leeway as I can, since I've occasionally cracked some pretty off-color jokes myself. It's always good to be sure before you get angry at a person.

After all, the world would be a much better place if everyone would just learn to be a little more courteous and understanding. Anime brings us together despite our differences so if we keep reminding ourselves of our shared fandom, it can help us to remember to be polite. That's my way of looking at things any way.

Occasionally, I screw up but I try to be a generally positive poster.

Really am looking forward to the book. Any chance of a signed copy when you get it published?
Sun King

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Fiction Alchemist: I'm going to pretend I didn't read Sun King's opinion of the bible as I don't think he's trying to be offensive.

Well, that is my opinion on Christianity and Judaism. If you want to ignore it, that's fine with me. The fact is, I don't need any book to tell me how to live my life, whether it's the Bible, the Satanic Bible, the Koran or anything else. Now, if my views are offensive to anyone or not, that's really up to them.
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
Sun King wrote:
Now, if my views are offensive to anyone or not, that's really up to them.

Come now - opinions can be expressed in many ways, and yours on this subject are most definitely expressed in a very confrontational way. You'd be an insensitive jerk if you didn't realize that some people will be offended by them.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:

well they probably changed shinigami to soul reaper for two reasons one is cause tite kubo wanted it that way the second is because they did have a way to explain what a shinigami is in the anime and soul reaper is really a better english translation of shinigami than say death god also they probably didn't change the other terms because they're not as important and because both the manga and anime explain the terms to the audience

My beef is not that they translated it, or what they translated it too. My beef is that they they translated that one term, and then left most of the others in Japanese. It's inconsistant. They should have either translated all the words or left all the words.

Also, shinigami is probably one of the few words that most Bleach fans know, but some of the lesser known terms were left in Japanese. If I'm going to pay for a translation, I want things to be translated.

zetsuie wrote:
on the second part about the parakeet who cares honestly your making way too big of a deal about something so stupid and has absolutly no importance over anything in the series

When I buy an English translation of a book I expect it to be translated properly. It's not a parrakeet. Even if the original Japanese said parrakeet, it's still wrong. It doesn't even look like a parrakeet, so how can you translate it as parrakeet?

It's 100% completely the wrong word and it could have easily been corrected by using the word Parrot (which is what both parrakeets and cockatiels are).

zetsuie wrote:
people like you don't really care about a series you just want everything to be exactly your way and so you found some lame excuse to discredit the dub and translation which infact is probably one of the most accurate and polished dubs that any shonen series has ever had

1. I never said anything about the dub, which I haven't seen.

2. I'm not complaning about Naruto's translation or One Piece's translation because I don't give a shit about either series. But I do actually BUY Bleach books, which is why I comment on it.

3. The Bleach translations are not polished - they are marred by stupid little details like translating "Shinigami", but then leaving other Japanese terms untranslated, and using the word "parrakeet" to identify a bird that is obviously NOT a parakeet.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Aizen-chan wrote:
It's inconsistant. They should have either translated all the words or left all the words.

Why, though? Why does it "HAVE" to be all one way or all the other way? Is it impossible for you to be flexible on this, and understand that it still makes sense and follows through the way they did it?

I don't get why people seem to be so ridiculously pedantic and demanding about things like this.
Sun King

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Sun King wrote:
Now, if my views are offensive to anyone or not, that's really up to them.

Come now - opinions can be expressed in many ways, and yours on this subject are most definitely expressed in a very confrontational way. You'd be an insensitive jerk if you didn't realize that some people will be offended by them.

No, that was me not caring one way or the other. I haven't said anything I wouldn't say in real life, and no one seems to care that much, unless they're hardcore Christian fundamentalist types. Otherwise, they just agree or disagree, and I accept their opinions while expressing that mine aren't gonna change. Sure, I think the world would be a better place without religion, but it's not gonna happen (at least not in my lifetime) so it's not like I'm out to get anyone.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah well you know what teenagers are like, and his decendents own a vineyard in Bergerac Rolling Eyes

huh. I'm interested to know how they proved they were his decendents. It's not like they could dig up his body and do a DNA test.
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Sun King wrote:
No, that was me not caring one way or the other. I haven't said anything I wouldn't say in real life, and no one seems to care that much, unless they're hardcore Christian fundamentalist types. Otherwise, they just agree or disagree, and I accept their opinions while expressing that mine aren't gonna change. Sure, I think the world would be a better place without religion, but it's not gonna happen (at least not in my lifetime) so it's not like I'm out to get anyone.

"Not caring one way or the other" how your words affect other people is the definition of insensitive. I can get a dictionary definition of "jerk" too, if you want.

Look, I'm an agnostic and I'll probably agree on principle with many of the things you said, and I was still offended by your remarks. I know a lot of religious people (of many different religions, not just Christians) who are the sweetest most sensitive people I've ever met... And I know they would be quite hurt and upset if someone used the kind of crude language about their religion and holy men like you did. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, why would I, be it about religion or something else... so I choose my words accordingly. I don't need to prove to them that I'm "right" or that they're "wrong", I'm not that pretentious.

If you behave like that in real life too, I'm just glad I'm not around you then.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Sun King wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Fiction Alchemist: I'm going to pretend I didn't read Sun King's opinion of the bible as I don't think he's trying to be offensive.

Well, that is my opinion on Christianity and Judaism. If you want to ignore it, that's fine with me. The fact is, I don't need any book to tell me how to live my life, whether it's the Bible, the Satanic Bible, the Koran or anything else. Now, if my views are offensive to anyone or not, that's really up to them.

We aren't telling you to believe in any religion. We are telling you to treat people with respect by not making vulgar statements like you just did. I agree with kolibri, think what you write next time. Have some maturity and write material that isn't going to offend anyone. Your "jokes" aren't humourous. We don't bash your views on how you believe the Earth was created, so you should do the same also. Follow the golden rule: do unto others as they you would like them to do unto you. Oh and, don't do anymore fake apologies this time-- actually mean it.
Sun King

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
[Pointless OT posting and vulgar language and attacks on other users. - Keonyn]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
Teh Rules wrote:
1) Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website. Excessively off-topic ("OT") posts will be locked or deleted.

This has gone on long enough. As fascinating as you might find your comments they have no relation to the article or anime. This isn't a religion debate and such a debate has no place here. This goes for everyone else as well, let's get this back on topic.

Teh Rules wrote:
4) Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.

Replacing one letter with a * doesn't make it magically fine, and as the rule states be respectful to other posters or don't post at all. You can disagree all you want but comments like that and attitudes of that nature simply won't be tolerated. This forum and these threads aren't here just to amuse yourself, especially if it means attacking other users, and especially if those attacks don't even involve the subject matter. This ends here and now, if this doesn't meet with your approval there's a logout button for you to use, we can help you find it if you like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10