• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Suspends 4 DVD Titles Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
And the anime companies wonder why fans are so hesitant to buy volumes of DVD's when they are just released. This crap is the prime reason why I don't watch a series until it is COMPLETELY released.

I was going to be buying Kanon and Welcome to the NHK. Not anymore. Not until I see the last volumes on the shelves.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
I'm only hesitant to buy a new series, if it looks generic, or if it's friggin' long.
Miitan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm only hesitant to buy a new series, if it looks generic, or if it's friggin' long.

With this recent development the definition of 'friggin' long' has now been defined as more than one DVD.

Seriously, while I'm sure most of the fanbase doesn't want ADV to fail, that doesn't stop people reading the signs and making conclusions based on them. Some posters seem to be unaware that this is the internet where you are free to post your own opinions on matters. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't require you to 'White Knight' whenever something you like comes under scrutiny. ADV is a big boy, it can look after itself! (We hope)

As for Company Loyalty, don't make me laugh. If you're not gonna be loyal to your customer as a company by not finishing what you started and by trying to excuse it by telling them about everything else you've spent money on instead for them to buy, why should you expect them to be loyal to you?[/i]
archaron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
As good as it is Funnimation picked up some of the suspended titles, the future of the industry doesn't look too good.
Ladara7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
If they don't release Kanon 6, I'll buy the Japanese version. At least this one is still available. This series is one of the best I have seen in a long time and I really want to see how it end.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yes. It's called company loyalty. I've got plenty of anime and manga I never finished! But I'm not going to complain, because I appreciated what I could get.

I am loyal to those who continuously do right by me and supply what they say they will. Funimation has done a pretty good job, I would say I'm loyal to Funimation. ADV, not so much.

But I'll admit my loyalty is always contingent on performance.

I love Blizzard games for example, because Blizzard has a consistent track record for solid games. They may not have the greatest graphics but they always do a good job of refining, balancing, and continuously patching until things are right. I may not agree with everything they do but they do a thorough job.

This in my mind is the only reason to be loyal to a company. I won't be loyal simply because you happen to be releasing something I like if you continuously have problems providing it. I should also say I don't have a long history with ADV. I only started purchasing from them recently.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Kanon Vol 6 might be in stores on the 8th..... I hope.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Although I never played a dating sim game so I'm not familer with this title.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Bashing those who are feeling the pain, is like telling mourners at a funeral to 'get a back bone'.

They are entitled to vent and bemoan their fate. This is a 'stab in the back' for any collector, no matter their speciality.

As to Sojitz, they are a faceless corporate entity.

ADV is who we bought our DVD's from, thus they are responsible. Any problems between ADV and Sojitz, is ADV's responsibility.

I don't want ADV to die, and I do not want our industry to decline. That doesn't mean that we have to keep quiet about the obvious problems, and how these companies respond to this crisis, including how they treat their customers.

Let those who are suffering vent, we all know most of them will still put the dollars down. Those that buy, buy for reasons the internet can't fulfill.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Chii85 wrote:

You do realise you're replying to yourself?
I bought the whole series without ever having played the game, and the same goes for many other series based on games, including the Tomb Raider movies. I do now own Kanon on PSP, but since I can't understand most of it I've never bothered to play it much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Teuvan wrote:
I predict that ADV and Tokyopop will fall apart within the next two years. And it will be for the better.

The American anime/manga industry is evolving. Companies are learning to meet their consumer's demands; to license and release intelligently; to provide solid translations, steady releases, and to keep consumers informed. That is, most companies are, anyway.

Funimation is licensing titles that will sell, as well as reclaiming titles from fallen companies (4kids/Geneon). They're no longer licensing any piece-of-crap series that happens to catch their eye, without paying a speck of attention to the fanbase. They're also producing quality translations and proper dubbing. They're making rational decisions that will make them money, and will please the American fans.

Bandai is finally coming to the realization that Japanese DVD prices do not work in an American market. Now they're employing business strategies that make sense, by releasing desirable special editions to cater to the hardcore fans, and cheaper bulk-episode sets for the more casual fans and/or the less willing to pay. They've realized how to properly handle the American anime market, and they'll profit from it.

On the other hand, ADV is setting itself up for failure. They produce unsteady releases, in terms of both anime and manga, and do very little to meet consumer demands. Their translation and dubbing quality is unsteady. They license major titles, and yet do a horrendous job of promoting them. They also keep fans in the dark, by not updating their website and only occasionally revealing information to the press. ADV is falling, and it will be a better industry without them.

Geneon followed a similar pattern before its fall, in that they seemed to have stopped making an effort to produce quality. There are DVDs that I would have been willing to buy from them; Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Black Lagoon, particularly. Yet I was so appalled by their mediocre voicework and horribly slopping translations, I was forced to refrain from buying them, despite my strong desire to own hardcopies of those series. I was happy to see Geneon go, as I am happy to see ADV failing now.

The manga industry is in much better shape. Dark Horse does amazing work with their translations, and seems to have quite a bit of sense when it comes to licensing. I'm more than glad to buy their products, despite the slightly higher prices. Del Rey is more of a newcomer to the industry, but they're doing spectacularly well. They have the best licensing-sense I've ever seen, and produce what I would call the best translations in the industry. In fact, I'm more likely to buy manga if it's published by Del Rey.

Viz occasionally produces questionable translations, and has performed some completely irrational acts of censorship, but on the whole, they're not too bad. Smaller distributors, such as CMX D/Books, and Dr. Master (excuse me if I got any of the names wrong), tend to produce very good work and license highly desirable titles, despite being up against much larger competitors.

Tokyopop is the scourge and the shame of the American manga industry. Many of their translations are outright horrendous. I've refrained from buying manga many times, only because I know how badly they handled the translations. They also have the worst licensing-sense in the industry, seeming to license whatever they can get their hands on, paying no attention to quality or the wants of the fanbase. They seem to believe manga is an undifferentiated commodity, where no particular series is better than another. They also extensively license many of their better series without reason.

They have made some good licensing decisions in the past, however, with GTO, Love Hina, and some others. But as far as recent licenses go, I can't remember the last time something licensed by Tokyopop caught my eye. The only real redeeming factor present in modern Tokyopop is their work on light novels, such as Full Metal Panic, Slayers, and Kino no Tabi. I love light novels, and love seeing more of them brought to the U.S. And yet...not-so-surprisingly...Tokyopop neglects this portion of their business, cutting off series midway-through and keeping to a bumpy, unpredictable release schedule.

Tokyopop and ADV will collapse, and it will be for the better. Geneon has collapsed, and it has been for the better. Funimation and Bandai will continue distributing anime in the United States, and will lead the industry into a vastly superior modern age of anime distribution. The manga industry is doing well for itself right now, and with the fall of its one blight, Tokyopop, it will be nearly perfect.

Watch your mouth. ADV is a great company. Without them, we wouldn't had Neon Genesis Evangelion and they got a lot of good mecha anime. Tokyopop is a great company, they were the one experimenting and helped made OEL Manga get a good market. Viz and Bandai are great company, and everybody knows it. Companies are trying their best to get this and that. It's not their fault, licensing is not that easy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RX78-2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I really dont care who brings the anime to the states. If ADV did not get Evangelion or any other anime. There is always another company that would step up and bid for it. All I care about is the consistency of bringing that anime to the states. Its a rough business where that is not a guarantee. A lot of industries are losing money. I am glad funimation is doing everything they can to stop piracy. They care about their money, lol. I like the fact that they are teaming up with YouTube and taking out their clips that other people are promoting. ADV was not big on that. They did not protect their assets. So they lost money due to that. One thing that surprise me about Funimation is the assets they just acquired. That is amazing. To think that Funimation started out with crappy editing and dubbing of Dragonball Z.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
RX78-2 wrote:
To think that Funimation started out with crappy editing and dubbing of Dragonball Z.
Now they've grown in the monster that has basically taken control of the R1 Anime industry. I hope they don't fudge this up.
RX78-2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
RX78-2 wrote:
To think that Funimation started out with crappy editing and dubbing of Dragonball Z.
Now they've grown in the monster that has basically taken control of the R1 Anime industry. I hope they don't fudge this up.

Way to go Ghost Rider! Thanks for chopping up my post. If you have any original ideas instead of the obvious. That be great.

The thing we are all grasping is that Funi is definately grabbing a lot of anime rights that other companies had. It has been the last few years that Funimation had been aggressive towards their properties. I give them credit because they have negated millions of clips being shown on the internet. I don't know if that is helping them earn money and making people buy DVDs instead of illegally downloading them. Even though new sites are being created every day. I still give them credit for fighting the war on piracy. Their Navarre stock definately helped them with the cash,lol. Also in 2007, the reason they are grabbing these new licenses. Funi was trying to acquire some of the anime titles that Geneon received and currently lost. That is the only reason Funi easily acquired these titles.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Chii85 wrote:

Think of the dating sim game as like the real dating game................... except you actually have a chance with these girls who don't think you're out of your league. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10