• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
So after Southern Cross, which I thought was ok, I moved on to Genesis Climber Mospeada.
I have not seen much if any Robotech that I can recall, but I kind of want to check it out now. Genesis Climber Mospeada seems to be a bewildering excuse to show a mismatched group traveling together who have these transforming armor/motorcycle things and have almost the exact quick battle over and over and over in between impromptu concerts by a guy everyone thinks is a girl and is crazy about. And then they travel to a Land of the Lost, with dinosaurs.... and then then fight more aliens inbit, until finally getting to North America. They go out of their way to NY so that a street concert can turn the tide of a battle, and then....
It ends. Robotech had to have been more coherent.

Moving on to Maid Sama!. Overall I liked it, but it was way less emotional or shall I say 'deep' as other shojo titles. I loved the two main characters (Takumi and Misaki), but the anime does not explain anything of why Takumi is the way he is, how he lives, etc... After it is over, I thought, well that was nice, and then mostly forgot it.

And then to the world of delusions and odd punctuation and capitalization: Chaos;HEAd.
Through about 6 episodes of this I was intrigued about the murders, the mystery, and the strange events going on. As more is revealed and learned, I found myself caring less and less. Takumi (two Takumi chars in a row) had a lot to do with this. His constant freaking out and inability to accept certain delusions while readily accepting others really starts to wear thin. I get it, you just want to be left alone, you want it to stop, etc... I almost granted your wish and turned it off.
Given the powers Takumi sporadically manifests the ending was a foregone conclusion. The last 4 episodes I bumped it up to 1.5 speed. There may have been a good story here, but I do not think the anime did a good job of relaying it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The Robotech version of Mospeada is pretty much identical to the Japanese version.

After seeing Robotech first, I found that all three series were way better in their Japanese versions.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
And then to the world of delusions and odd punctuation and capitalization: Chaos;HEAd.
Through about 6 episodes of this I was intrigued about the murders, the mystery, and the strange events going on. As more is revealed and learned, I found myself caring less and less. Takumi (two Takumi chars in a row) had a lot to do with this. His constant freaking out and inability to accept certain delusions while readily accepting others really starts to wear thin. I get it, you just want to be left alone, you want it to stop, etc... I almost granted your wish and turned it off.
Given the powers Takumi sporadically manifests the ending was a foregone conclusion. The last 4 episodes I bumped it up to 1.5 speed. There may have been a good story here, but I do not think the anime did a good job of relaying it.

I felt pretty much the same. It started of quite interesting and turned into a huge mess somewhere around the middle. I really do believe there was a good story there, maybe I will check out the VN at some point.

So, yesterday I watched the first two episodes of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann which I've been wanting to see for ages. It was love at first sight, as I had hoped after reading a bit about it. Luckily, I've managed to stay away from any spoilers so far. I think it will not take me long to complete this one if they keep on this incredible pacing and hilarious hamminess.

I also tried checking out Gantz a few days ago, after two episodes I decided this one's not for me. I cannot seem to get over the complete lack of common sense every single character seems to display in this show, it's making my brain hurt. I thought the general premise/setting would be my kind of thing, but I am so very annoyed by the stupidity of the characters I find it extremely hard to take an interest in them living or dying.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
So, yesterday I watched the first two episodes of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann which I've been wanting to see for ages. It was love at first sight, as I had hoped after reading a bit about it. Luckily, I've managed to stay away from any spoilers so far. I think it will not take me long to complete this one if they keep on this incredible pacing and hilarious hamminess.

I remember the first time I stumbled across TTGL and I instantly fell in love. All I will say is you will not be disappointed.... Damn, I wish I could experience Gurren Lagann for the first time again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Me too. That show is a rollercoaster ride from beginning to end and unlike a lot of anime it never loses that magic...from the first episode to the last, it's just fun, crazy, and energetic as hell.

Knoepfchen, you won't be disappointed.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
I already knew about a majority of the spoilers going in spoiler[(Kamina and Nia)], and it still ended up being one of my favorite anime! I love how fun, over-the-top, and bombastic the series is and how much it can pull at my heartstrings. And the music is some of the best. The fact that they can create a song that has both rap and opera - two of my least favorite - and make me fall in love with it? That's a winner right there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Today when I got around to rating Chaos;HEAd, I noticed the links to Shelf Life and 2 reviews, I spent some time going through them and the discussion threads.
I generally lightly skim (if at all) a review of something I already own but have not watched, and I certainly ignore the discussion threads, or individual posts, there are always spoilers, and I do not want to be swayed by consensus.

My thoughts in the post above are almost word for word what has already been said in the discussions. Yeah! Most people think what I think..... aww crap, I am merely part of consensus.

The owned but unwatched backlog is shrinking, but remains large.
I have not decided what is next:
Candidates include:
Jubei Chan 2: My only remaining unwatched Geneon release.
Nadia: I have been watching a lot of old stuff recently.
Le Chevalier Deon: I started watching this when volume 1 came out as a single and then stopped, because I wanted to marathon it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Underground. A 26 episode about nothing that ends on a tournament {2 epsiodes left; don't tell me how it doesn't end} that "exists when the plot stalls" but this show never had a plot or point or powers or characters worth mentioning.

I'd compare it to The Law of Ueki but that one was more amazing than a show just about a tournament had any right to be.

Living for the Day after Tomorrow. spoiler[The guy did not end up with his sister/daughter. That's a good thing.] It's sad that's a selling point these days. Beyond that, it was another one of those "this is a two hour idea, let's pad for time!" shows like Ano Hana.

"This is who I am. Don't you believe me?" was the plot for half of the 12 shows, I think. Guess what? spoiler[They all did. Eventually]. Everything ended as the first episode dictated. How ... predictable.

Also, Tetsu and Karada? I don't know if that's meant to be cute but even if they were the same age, it comes off kind of creepy when put into context ... with the rest of Japan I guess. Doesn't help when the show goes out of its way to prove what his favorite body type is.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
So I just watching Pacific R--oh, yeah, that's not an anime.

...Well, I'm about to watch Symphogear?
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer, watch Le Chevalier D'Eon! Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water is good too, but Chevalier is much more epic.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann watched some of it. Very good, very creative shonen mecha series. In fact, I might say it is probably the best proper shonen series I ever encountered until now: Evangelion and series like those were made for the shonen demographic but they are obviously unlike other shonen titles with focus on character psychology instead of straightforward story telling. Anyway, this is an epic series with focus on the battles and straightforward storytelling, thus it is a very shonen like series, in fact, it reminds me of Dragon-ball, but this is so well executed! I am thinking that I will give a very high rating for this series.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
I'm working on a project to dig through my DVD and streaming backlogs. It's a slow process (since I'm also following a lot of simulcasts), but slowly I'm making dents in each queue.

Currently, my streaming focus is Yuyushiki since I was unable to keep up with it during the spring season. It's okay. I really feel like it would have worked better as a short episode series. Maybe not 3 minute episodes, but perhaps half-length would have worked. As it is, I'm watching it in half episode chunks until I can finish it up.

On the DVD side of things, I'm to Angelic Layer (working through the DVD backlog alphabetically). It's not quite as engaging as I had hoped. I find myself hitting the 1.5x speed for the fights, and I'm getting a bit tempted to start doing it throughout the entire episode. That said, it's not bad enough for me to just drop (I'm more willing to drop streams than stuff I've purchased physically), but I think my viewing partner is about to throw in the towel.

I'm also checking out a lot of the new season shows running on Crunchyroll, with particular focus on Watamote. I didn't know what it was about when people started talking about it, but it's quickly become my favorite show of the season. Another show that I'm enjoying much more than expected is Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA. I watched the first episode on a lark with my husband and was actually charmed. I loved all the nods to other magical girl series and the tongue-in-cheek depictions of everyone. I really expected to watch the first episode and drop it (if I could even get through it), but instead, I'm looking forward to watching all of it. Go figure.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I have finally got around to unpackaging my copy of [b]Big Windup[\b]. I have just marathoned the first disc (7 episodes) and could easily carry on if I didn't have to start preparing for guests.

I brought BWU on a whim, like I do with most series, and I have been more than pleasantly suprised. I do not know much about baseball as it is not a big sport in the UK - I have only played baseball half-heartedly a couple of times in PE 5+ years ago and I have only seen it televised a few times on ESPN. That being said I have found the game and terminology easy to follow.

Surprisingly Mihashi doesn't annoy me, which I thought he would as he always seems to be crying and apologising. I think this is because they make it very clear it was from being bullied and shunned through out his day at middle school and it seems he is slowly becoming more confident and growing out of old insecurities.

I will also add that I am a fan of Abe and Mihashi's relationship as I constantly feel on edge that at any point one is going to confess their secret, but pretty obvious, love of the other... So far the have both spoiler[confessed they "like" each other - interpret that as you will - and Abe has shown how much he cares for Mihashi when he got pretty emotional after finding out about how Hatake planned to brake Mihashi's arm.] I will wait patiently for the words "I love you" Wink

I cannot wait to continue!
Camihabb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
High school of the dead, cause i wanted to watch a new one, that seems fun
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Taking a slight break from anime (or so I thought), after a recent rewatch of Pulp Fiction, I realized that it was the only Tarantino movie I have ever seen. So, I bumped Kill Bill to the top of the Netflix queue and it arrived.
The dvd menu featured the anime segment in the background, which I had heard of at one time, but had forgotten about. The segment depicting the back story of one of the assassins was pretty typical anime yakuza fodder, with maybe a tad more gore. I loved the style used and in the the credits I noted it was Production I.G.'s work.
Overall, I liked Kill Bill (both movies) better than Pulp Fiction.
Afterwards, I was disappointed in the lack of information regarding the animated segment. Both dvd extras on the making of did not mention it at all, and I have many questions regarding Tarantino's level of involvement with the segment.
If he was heavily involved, I would like to see what he could do with a full length animated feature. While not the best 8 minutes of anime I have ever seen, it was good, and I would like to see what he could do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 772 of 1062