• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Code Geass Project's Launch Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
This thread is definitely getting ugly. There are people who really loved Code Geass. There are people who really hated it. There are people who loved it at first but didn't like where it went and decided to call it a trainwreck (whether it really was or not). Code Geass is one of those series that tends to polarize people. Sure, there are plenty of people who thought that it was "okay," but there are a lot of people who seem to either talk about how it's the best ever or the worst ever. Unfortunately, however, those strong feelings seem to be turning this thread into a shouting match.

You liked Code Geass or you didn't. You're entitled to your opinion, whether you think that it's the best, the worst, or somewhere in between. But why must we so often be immature when someone else's opinion differs from ours?

I like ANN. I like being able to get anime news here. I like the encyclopedia. I like a lot of the stuff here. But increasingly, I'm finding that forum discussions - especially those about popular or controversial anime - just get ugly. Whether it's a discussion on dubs vs subs, or whether a show was any good or not, or whatever. Can't we just be civil here?

There's no need to get mad at people or call them idiots because they disagree. Maybe they're idiots, maybe they're not. But this thread has become highly disagreeable. All this for the simple announcement that a popular show is going to have more anime of some kind made that relates to it.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. This is the internet, after all, where everyone is an idiot. But this is just unpleasant and unconstructive
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Man, I am not going through eight pages of senseless arguing... Rolling Eyes

All I'm going to say is that this will probably just be a condensed version of the TV series into a couple movies with a little extra information thrown in. Sunrise has done a lot of these in the past, it wouldn't be hard for them to do another, they've done several for Gundam and some of their other TV series and OAVs.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Katane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
With this debate over rather Lelouch is dead or alive that has been going on for quite sometime now we might get a answer to that question depending on what's going to happen with this new Geass project depending on what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Badkarma 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy ShockedI ain't too worried about the naysayers or the poopooers! It just shows their lack of imagination and/or their ability tolet something new happen! Me;I can't friggin wait as there's still plenty of story left in Code Geass,with or without Lelouch.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Yes! YES! Very Happy
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Although that page has been removed from the posted link, the main website of Code Geass has the article now - wait a few seconds for the page to transform.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
For anyone condemning the fictional human suffering in Code Geass, I suggest looking up "Tragedy" as a genre of art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy

Kougeru wrote:
Also people need to learn to put spoiler tags up ...this thread has quite a few.

Yeah, I'm only at episode 13 of R2 ...

I'm not sure if it's relevant to the new project, but spoiler[I just watched the DVD commentary for R2 episode 8 ("One Million Miracles") today. They were talking about how that episode signified Zero's transformation into a symbol instead of just being a person.]

Big Hed wrote:
Yes, yes, for Pete's sake I want to know C.C.'s name...

I'm certain C.C.'s name is spoiler[ *splash* ]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
For anyone condemning the fictional human suffering in Code Geass, I suggest looking up "Tragedy" as a genre of art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy

Which would be fine if Code Geass treated massacres like a tragedy, and not a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
Anyone who understands how Lelouch thinks should also be able to understand the ending. He has the chance to fulfil his (frequently mentioned) promise, fix everything, and spoiler[gain immortality] all at the same time. Or he can welsh on his promise for cowardly reasons, and do just one of those things. Which does he choose?

Lelouch was suicidal when spoiler[Nunnaly died (and, by the way, the creators categorically stated in interviews/similar, at the time, that she was truly dead and WOULD NOT be coming back -- in order to further the deception).] But when has simple guilt, or fear, elicited the same response?

spoiler[C.C. wasn't talking to a spirit, there at the end. She was talking to the driver.]

Charred Knight wrote:
Which would be fine if Code Geass treated massacres like a tragedy, and not a Crowning Moment of Awesome.

I can't think of an example of it, myself. Probably just a difference in perception. Certainly massacres are played up as being impressively, dramatically tragic.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
I should amend that statement

In the first season massacres where presented as tragedies

In the second season massacres where presented as awesome.

Also the Writer have confirmed that Lelouch is not the Cart Driver.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
In the first season massacres where presented as tragedies

In the second season massacres where presented as awesome.

Also the Writer have confirmed that Lelouch is not the Cart Driver.

I still didn't see it that way, myself. In the second season, many of the massacres are spoiler[caused by Lelouch, completing his 'fall'. People can argue over the necessity, but it's rather gut-wrenching either way.] The largest massacre occurs off-camera, and it's usually advisable to put Crowning Moments of Awesome on-camera. The climactic battle is obviously likely to have impressive music, etc., whether or not it's sad and tragic.

And, as mentioned above in the spoiler's tiny writing, the producers also confirmed that spoiler[Nunnally was truly dead, and would not be coming back later in the series.] (Admittedly, though, he doesn't specifically need to be the cart driver).

Edit: In any case, Lelouch is shown to have spoiler[gained C.C.'s powers, when Nunnally touches his 'corpse'].

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Akemi_Yukimura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
This has just made my day. Very Happy
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ugh, seeing this page, I think I was wrong about a few things after all.
http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2008/09/code-geass-r2-25-so-is-lelouch-dead-or-not/

Also worth noting is that Nunnally taught Lelouch to make the origami cranes in season 1. Little reason for C.C. to make them -- she's not Japanese. In any case, cranes are not made for the dead -- they're most commonly tied to long life or recovery.

If Code Geass was a particularly straight-foward series, foregoing plot-twists and deceptions, there might be reason to think spoiler[Lelouch is dead].

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
They wouldn't lie in the guide, and I have never heard about the creators lying. Are you talking about the official website run by Biglobe? That's not run by the creators, in interviews and the guide they have revealed what happened to Lelouch, and it's certainly not running away from responsibility for his actions.

[spoiler]I would hardly call triumphant music playing while thousands of brainwashed soldiers die and the people of Gotenba, Fujiyoshidi, and Fujinomiya are killed to be showing the fall of Lelouch.[/spoiler[

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
I do see how people could see it that way. "Would they lie to us??". Do keep in mind that the whole series is pretty-much about lies and deception, though -- including false "In the next episode" previews.

Anyway, assuming that this new project is a continuation of the series, we'll all find out soon enough. No use arguing further, imho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12