• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Selector Infected + Spread Wixoss (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
spoiler[Iona's wish]... hmmmm... Well, considering the next season preview I have some suspicions.

spoiler[I think her wish was to be the LRIG of a strong battler, which is why she waited to find Ruko and how she forcibly replaced Tama as Ruko's LRIG. It will be interesting to see how those two will interact from now on.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Yeah, Iona spoiler[just wished herself into becoming Ruuko's LRIG, which also puts Ruuko's plan of using Tama's possible special power to fix everything]. That being that talked spoiler[to Tama seemed to be against the Ruuko's wish coming true so she made Tama doubt, and I guess the LRIG switching is also in favour]. The change from spoiler[a white LRIG to a black one] was really good for tone. And I think tone is one way this series has succeeded.

I will rate the series an automatic Good, there has been a couple pacing issues, and combat/games comes off kind of confusing despite them supposed to being the focus, but it did get me kind of interested in the cards. Some of the psychological parts were very good, and I actually have a high expectation of spoiler[Selector Spread Wixoss], because I am hoping for a big payout. I have mentioned some of the series this reminds me of already, and it does fit in my tastes quite well.

Also, I don't know if it was just this episode, but I seemed to notice there was quite a bit of dubstep like music going, which really seems to be working in anime lately, like in Brynhildr.
junmaedaisjesus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I think this has easily been the best anime of the season. Almost every episode left me anxious for what was coming next, and they could have easily had a cliche ending here by spoiler[fulfilling Ruko's wish and the anime would have had some decent closure] but this has really opened up the stage for the next season and provides a lot of things to take into perspective spoiler[ like what happened to Tama? What part will Midoriko and Hanayo play? Will Ruko be able to ever attain her wish or will Iona prevent it from happening giving her the endless battle she seems to have always desired?]

On another note, the special effects spoiler[explosions/when Ruko loses her wish/etc] were especially well done. Great animation this episode.

Can't wait for fall! If they keep this up, this could be a seriously great anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Selected Spread episode 1:

Interesting setup episode overall. For one thing, I miss Tama too like the way Ruko is. Then again, there were circumstances from season 1's finale so it couldn't be helped....

That spoiler[Chiyori girl is back but I think her role] in this season will be much larger than compared to her mediocre performance from season 1. Looking forward to what's to come soon!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Spread Ep1
Part recap part episode, this ep openly spoils the first season to catch the audience up, the main issue is that the series is based on the audience enjoyment of the main cast, spoiler[especially with the contextually removal of Tama,] one won't fully understand why Ruko is in such a dire mood by the end of the episode.

I binged the first season a week ago, so for me the recap portion was unneeded for myself, but I can understand wanting to catch up a general audience or trying to crash course a new audience.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes, WIXOSS is back! I look forward to the heartwrenching rollercoaster they are sure to put us through.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
You know, I like this show, I really do - but it is zero fun to watch. It's just young girls in emotional distress all the time. I really wish this show would lighten up a bit, but I really don't see that happening.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

This episode was great, I thought that it might be a bit lacklustre with the talks here of recapping, and that things looked relatively happy at the beginning despite how last season ended. But I really enjoyed it.

In general the episode was bringing back what we learned last season, but I think it did well in showing that spoiler[the friendship between Ruuko, Hitoe, and Yuzuki did move forward a bit]. The gloom crept in and we are seeing how things really are, the preview looking deliciously dark, we did not get any "battoru", but there are things planned.

Also, Chiyori was hilarious. Eldora did help, have Satomi Arai do that voice and I will be happy, she can be comic gold when playing the proper character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
Yes, Chiyori and Eldora are very welcome additions to the cast. Hopefully, they will continue to bring a sliver of light amidst the gloom, but I fear the show is just setting us for Chiyori's subsequent emotional torture. Really hope I'm wrong about that, but the show's track record with regard to how its Selectors are treated is not promising.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I think Chiyori is too dumb to feel affected.

Also, spoiler[apparently you can overcome the result of losing your game if you try hard enough: evidence, Hitoe.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
S2 ep2, that was an interesting take on Akari,spoiler[ I interpreted the change in public response to Akari that the "anti-wish" was made null when Iona became an Lrig.
Ulith is a strange case as she has been stalking Akari for some time, long enough to become an Lrig in the first place and trade places with Iona, and being a "hate fetishist" makes her all the more stranger.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Selector Spread episode 2:

Ah spoiler[Akira is back...Shame that battle got interrupted. Her new LRIG seems to have some sort of anti-magic skill which is interesting]

Ulith also makes her appearance and I wonder what she has to say to Chiyori as well. Next episode should be interesting with all this build-up.[/spoiler]

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess the number one piece of feedback was "needs more creepy lesbians." It wasn't me, because I can't write Japanese, and that's the only reason.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
S2 ep2, that was an interesting take on Akari,spoiler[ I interpreted the change in public response to Akari that the "anti-wish" was made null when Iona became an Lrig.]

I think Akira's 'anti-wish' was just the scar. That would certainly be enough to end anyone's career as a model.

We still haven't learned how Akira managed to retain her memories. Though Hitoe regained hers on her own so I guess Akira did the same thing.

Looks like Ulith spoiler[is doing whatever she can to create opponents for Iona. She's pretty masterfully manipulating Akira. Boy will it be a spectacle when Akira learns her beloved Ulith was just using her.]

Looks like Ruko has accurately summarized Blood-'s thoughts on the show Laughing
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I think Akira's 'anti-wish' was just the scar. That would certainly be enough to end anyone's career as a model.

The crew members seemed very driven to discard Akira's presence after her anti-wish took effect, though the power of the wishes are not very concrete concepts even in universe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12