• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so if the purpose of this universe was to develop AI capable of killing, then Isn't it mission complete with the fact Fanatio was fully capable of making that final blow against Kirito and the two little girls' backstory being that they were constantly killing one another?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
No, the purpose was to find an AI capable of stepping beyond the constraints of their world. Killing someone who is an enemy of the Church/humanity would not be outside of the constraints for an Integrity Knight; in fact, that's part of their job description. Alice, however, did step beyond the Taboo Index and thus show the capacity for independent function.

And yes, that means that Eugeo now has, too. However, the Rath people don't know about that yet for two reasons:

1) The acceleration factor, which means that each day in Underworld is only a minute and a half or so in the real world. (And hence less than three minutes have passed in the real world since Eugeo did it.)
2) Other factors that are very spoilerish but you'll find out about before this season ends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Noted, thanks for the response
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
Ah...Thanks for posting on that. Completely different meaning for the terms explains a lot. I still have a hard time believing that a 9 year old Japanese girl could fire 3 shots from a gun based off the 1911, which the Type 54 appears to be. A couple of my uncles took me out shooting on multiple occasions when I was in high school, but I never got the hang of hitting what I was aiming at or got the "gun bug". I recall Uncle Rory's 1911 having a pretty sharp kick.
Your quite welcome! I'm not what one would call a "gun bug" myself so I had to look up the Type54 which is a Colt variant from the USSR which uses a 7.62mm (30-caliber) round and so should have much less recoil than a 1911 45-caliber or it's variant with 38-caliber round. However, I'm with you that young Sinon should have had some problem firing it and was handling it more like a 22-caliber.

Moving on, I'm not sure about Alice having surpassed the Taboo Index because it seems to me that her "violation" was more from stubbing her toe than a willful act! Also no indication of a "System Alert" for her either.In that regard, I'd say it looks like Eugeo has legitimately overcome the programming by being able to move past "Code 871" so maybe he is the "Next Alice" (?). Also, I also agree that it seems the Taboo Index has nothing on the two girl's ability not to commit murder and no indication of 871 so why aren't they "Alice"? And about the system clock rate, I don't buy the x5000 real-time stuff because assuming the project has been going a few years from the time of the first in-situ programmer "gods", something like x100 is closer so there should have been more than a few days that all this has been going on for the monitor crew to respond to these events.

Now, something I'm surprised nobody brought up this Ep is the ridiculous chauvinistic leanings presented here given how big a deal was made of Fanatio hiding her femininity to be taken seriously by guys only to have Kirito not only pointedly mentioning she was "Lady Fanatio" and was altering her fighting technique to be more masculine but throwing out that she was "applying color" to her lips and arranging her hair for a guy and that she became so weak (like a woman) when her secret was revealed. Now, the show in general has subtly waffled between respecting women's power/agency/authority and having them swoon or having to be rescued at the hands of a "real man" like Kirito (Sinon, Asuna of the Cage, etc.) and I'm fairly sure he didn't lose to Asuna in reality. I just wish they'd drop stuff like this and just have Kirito fight as per usual and not bring gender up.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
^
I don't have time to check right now, but I'm pretty sure the acceleration rate was pegged at around x1000 in episode 5. (That also keeps it inline which Accel World, as all signs point to this being the tech that that series is based on.)

And while Alice crossing into the Dark Territory looked accidental, that she was even close enough to do so or had any concern for the fallen Dark Knight were themselves beyond the limits of the Taboo Index. She did it much more easily than Eugeo did, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 15 Comments/Feedback

No surprise Eugeo was stabbed, you can't trust kids lol, they looked suspicious from the beginning.

That's our Kirito for you, he had those 2 figured out from the beginning, and as usual he is a big softy for letting them live.

That was quite a cool move Kirito used to reflect her attack back at her.

Wow that was some fight they were giving us once her helmet came off, it was very exciting.

That is some way to end the episode and hype up the next, looking forward to seeing Kirito's enhance armament and the ending of this battle.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Please.

I forgot to bring this up in the review, but it's not like Eugeo's sword having a power-up hasn't been indicated prior to this (like, last episode, for instance), and the fact that it was recovered from a cave of ice makes its ice generation ability logically follow; in fact, one could surmise that the sword was the reason why there was ice in the cave. Also, remember that the item control level on that sword is higher than anyone who isn't on level with an Integrity Knight can handle, so the Blue Rose Sword is a top-level item for Underworld.

So yeah, what Eugeo did to Duesolbert (and yeah, I did get the name wrong in the review) was not even close to being an ass-pull.

Gomei...I should have specified exactly which part I was referring to. No issues with Eugeo's power-up. It was Duesolbert's "You bested me so I'm gonna dish on what's waiting for you" routine.

What you wrote about the latest ep, yeah...that also had me groaning. "Okay, they are poisoned. Watch how Kirito pulls a David Copperfield to reverse this one." I didn't quite count down to the timing on when he's up and explaining himself, but could have. Well, within 5 seconds because they could have held the suspense a little longer. What it works out to, Kirito sussed out their plan based upon their knife sheaths, knew it would be a paralysis poison, had time to start chanting a counter-poison spell under his breath and then, in order that it would succeed he acted surprised when the attack came so that they would spill their story and give him and Eugeo a free ride, or rather a free drag, to their destination. Simultaneously a spectacular feat of quick thinking and a rather trite bit of hackneyed writing.

As for Fanatio, I think her hiding her gender, her fear of not being taken seriously because of it, is the basis for her sword skill, whatever the term, I can't think of it right now. It's endemic to her just like the "nobility" *ahem* of slimeball back at the Academy.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
Kirito messed up badly, to be honest. He worked out the girls were enemies, started a countermeasure - and then got stabbed, paralysed, and took the whole time they were dragging him to floor 50 to recover. If they had just beheaded Eugeo and Kirito right then and there that's the story over; they just got lucky that the girls felt the need to show off because they hadn't yet been granted divine weapons by Administrator.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
So were the twins still just lying there? Last episode, they get paralyzed by their own knife and the battle commences. This episode, the entire floor is coated in ice and the battle is over, yet no one seems to acknowledge whether they're there or not. Considering they're in the OP, this probably isn't the only time they'll be in the story but it just seems weird that they don't even get a mention
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16 Comments/Feedback

Wow, that enhance armament by Kirito to defeat her.

That's our Kirito for you, doing everything he can to save a life.

Man those potions Cardinal makes are incredible they are completely back to 100%

It's Alice! this place they are at definitely looks like their past with the field and tree ect, either way it's a nice scenery.

Wow her sword is so powerful, Kirito is just doing enough to stay with her, Alice even praised him.

I knew it wouldn't be that simple to contain her long enough but what happened at the end was quite the turn of events, now to wait until next time to see how they get out of this predicament.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
So were the twins still just lying there? Last episode, they get paralyzed by their own knife and the battle commences. This episode, the entire floor is coated in ice and the battle is over, yet no one seems to acknowledge whether they're there or not. Considering they're in the OP, this probably isn't the only time they'll be in the story but it just seems weird that they don't even get a mention

After defeating Fanatio, Kirito did mention to Eugeo at one point about giving the antidote to the girls. They just didn't show Eugeo actually doing it in the animation.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
Actually, I was thinking the sword effect was similar to Captain Kuchiki's zanpakuto Senbonzakura at the time. Maybe I am just biased. Byakuya may be a little bit arrogant...okay, a lot of arrogant...but a thousand steel cherry blossoms makes for one of the coolest and most directly attacking swords on Soul Society. And that's just the shikai form. But Vice-Captain Matsumoto's Haineko has a similar effect. Not as devastating, more "catty", but similar.

Almost a shame to say this, but it feels like the strength of the SAO franchise ever since the end of the original Aincrad arc ended has been the action scenes and when those are not happening the narrative drags. At least in animation it feels this way. This last episode was another riveting action scene, but to get here we sat through a few minor fights, a couple of mega-info dumps that had me clicking a previous spot on the red bar several times to make sure I got all that, some banal chatter that makes me wonder if Eugeo has more than three working brain cells...But at least it feels now as if the show is moving on towards something positive.
Danu06

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
So you cant make a blond knight anymore since Arturia exists.... at least they look different and Alice is someone that can win fights xD
Anyway good review, overused slow motion, but Alice sword effects were cool.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
If there was any doubt as to Alice's visual inspiration: https://i.imgur.com/79NHvMp.jpg

Funny timing this, a lot funnier than that one popular MMO player dying and having his in-game funeral a week after Mother's Rosario did.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
I know the review namedropped Haineko from Bleach but man this whole series has just gotten Bleach as hell. I mean you got your sword names, your shikais whenever Eugeo just focuses really hard and his sword becomes ice and freezes the Crimson Knight's sword, and now of course your bankais. And our main protagonist's super attack is a big black energy wave! I know it's not a 1:1 comparison but man you really don't have to look hard to find similarities.

Really I wanna know how they're gonna stretch this out for the rest of the season if we're only 16 episodes in. This whole tower rush really feels like an endgame sort of deal. I guess maybe we go back into the real world for a few episodes? Or maybe have to see Kirito reclimb the tower to get back to where Eugeo is? It's just all moving so quick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13