• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blade of the Immortal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how they're gonna go into the real explanation behind the worms. We know it's there because Kagimura got the "Success" note from Burando. I just don't personally see how they'll explain it without taking up at least another half an episode, and they've only got 7 left to do the whole last arc.

spoiler[You think Anotsu's rampage is gonna get cut? Or maybe even Ryo's whole character?]
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:50 am Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Wonder how they're gonna go into the real explanation behind the worms. We know it's there because Kagimura got the "Success" note from Burando. I just don't personally see how they'll explain it without taking up at least another half an episode, and they've only got 7 left to do the whole last arc.

spoiler[You think Anotsu's rampage is gonna get cut? Or maybe even Ryo's whole character?]

Forget about the worms, there's no explanation, they're not the point.
The "success" note just means that Burando had (supposedly) achieved the right processes to transfer some worms from Manji to the prisoners. That's how Isaku became immortal.
But now that the whole thing blew up and Burando fled, it's meaningless.
Rin won, Habaki lost.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
SPREAD THE GOOD NEWS!
Mugen no Juunin is good again!
(The title was "banshee's cries", now that "music" made sense)

See minna-san?
They return (mostly) to that stand alone format and the episode suddenly works wonders. And this episode was better looking because it was less claustrophobic. There was also scenes where you could see a bit of the location and the character's bodies.
But the best part was that this episode remembered that this history is much about the cycle of revenge and forgiveness. And it's just adequate that this episode was a small skirmish between that status quo that feeds this cycle and the forces rebelling against it.

Also, notice the symmetry with the torches (the fire that consumes while it's talking about shedding blood) and the masks (the demons that it unleashes).
It's Certified Kino™.
Done without a need of budget, only care from the team.

Thinking about the way the episode ended, I can barely contain my enthusiasm in waiting to see that chance meeting over sake...
(do justice to that scene, please)
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
See, why this animation don't show whole bodies and actual animation? Did you noticed how ridiculous the characters looked while running?
The second half suffers a bit with this bad animation and sense of space. A lot less intense than expected with none of the "iconic" moments appearing, a real shame.

Thinking about it, it's increasingly hard to make an episode focused like in the beginning, because now there's too many characters interlaced chasing each other. But still, the amount of cuts they have to made to tell the more bare bones story huuuuuurts a looooot.
That scene with Rin and Anotsu in the beginning, in the first place they tried to make it funny with Rin telling the story to Manji. Didn't worked. But the bad part is that that scene just don't exist in the anime. They kept just the more basic essential information, Anotsu telling Rin where he was actually going and inviting her there, but the actual scene is that they sat there and chatted for a long time, like friends. I'm amazed that anyone can still care about these characters.

It's not that I dislike the cuts, what I dislike is that the anime is just cutting when it could substitute more. Just cutting created situations were you can easily see that important parts are missing. When Tampopo and Meguro tells to Soori that they're leaving the scene makes fun of character traits and context that weren't introduced before. How can the audience see the fun and laugh like this?

Hyakurin and Giichi also appeared in this episode, but just to remember that they exist, all personal development left out.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised we even got that battle scene in episode 19.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
I'm surprised we even got that battle scene in episode 19.

But little of the context.
I had already pointed a few things related to this that were missing, but from this episode they cut the whole scene with Anotsu and Rin talking and bonding. He was full of mad respect for her. While he was hiding away she did something that still hadn't dared, and alone.
What Rin and Doa did, rescuing Manji and Isaku, had a direct influence on his decision.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Shira staying alive for so long was a mistake on Samura's part. Probably he not managing to control all of his "bad impulses". This adds nothing to the story, could be omitted and nothing would be lost.
That's why this adaptation is not really that good.
The anime cut bits and pieces, so why not cut this redundant "filler"? How can they justify repeating the same mistake?

Worse, this episode shows very well how the animation is subpar (Meguro and Tanpopo running was horrible) and not to the standards that the action in this story requires.
Amarantine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Shira definitely overstayed his welcome. He really should have died earlier when he fell down the waterfall after his great and climatic duel with Magatsu. This is one of the things I was hoping they would change in this adaptation since it would save them time as well, but it seems they really opted not to entirely cut any arcs or characters, which I believe was a mistake on their part given the limited amount of episodes they have to work with.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:02 am Reply with quote
Amarantine wrote:
Yeah, Shira definitely overstayed his welcome. He really should have died earlier when he fell down the waterfall after his great and climatic duel with Magatsu. This is one of the things I was hoping they would change in this adaptation since it would save them time as well, but it seems they really opted not to entirely cut any arcs or characters, which I believe was a mistake on their part given the limited amount of episodes they have to work with.

What this second arc and death said that the first hadn't said about him?
And worse yet, it completely wasted Renzo character by making him just a victim of Shira instead of someone coming after Rin and Manji for legitimate reasons.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, when I am utterly delighted to see a dude torn apart by wolves until he is a bloody skeleton, he certainly got the "hateable" part of being a villain right.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Amarantine wrote:

They cut Kensui and Hisoka, whom I would argue were much more meaningful characters in terms of the themes of the story and Anotsu's character.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
This is why I watch this show, to see people stab each other to death. I honestly do not care if the Manga has a better story, there are other shows out there that I can get a good story from, all I need from this is a good fight to the death.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote

The time to make cuts already passed, there's not way to recover from this mistake, unfortunately.
The first half of this adaptation had elevated my expectations so much with that episodic format... now the episodes are "saying" but not "telling" a history anymore.

Anyway... also annoys me so much that all those horny otakus will never ever consider Rin as "best girl of the season".

This world isn't fair.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22 review wrote:
There's a hulking brute in the Rokki-dan that is just positively slathered in armor, and he works with a fellow who I think is a German shipwreck survivor – the big guy is responsible for most of the decapitations, and the German guy gets into it with another German guy that's with the Itto-ryu.

I might be wrong, but I believe those dudes were Dutch which would make more sense since I believe that the Dutch traded with Japan somewhere around this time period (I think?).
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 22 review wrote:
There's a hulking brute in the Rokki-dan that is just positively slathered in armor, and he works with a fellow who I think is a German shipwreck survivor – the big guy is responsible for most of the decapitations, and the German guy gets into it with another German guy that's with the Itto-ryu.

I might be wrong, but I believe those dudes were Dutch which would make more sense since I believe that the Dutch traded with Japan somewhere around this time period (I think?).

In cases like this, if not Russian or Portuguese then must be Dutch.

I forgot to comment about the last episode.

I can't find pleasure in watching these fights because of the subpar animation, like I said before.
I wanted to hype this but unfortunately I can't find much to praise in this second half. And this episode wasnt' different, for example... Hyakurin isn't a damsel in distress, when necessary she will take action however necessary at the present situation. In this episode if she hadn't acted there was a real possibility that Giichi could had died, but... you can guess what happened by this image.

One minute and twenty second of Hyakurin being abused, with all those angles...
I remember just enough from the manga to notice that this episode cut and condensed a lot. But while they weren't deciding to compress the story somehow they decided to keep this one minute and twenty seconds.
For focks sake!
Again, why not cut Shira in the second half, among other thing, to give more screen time for characters that will remain in the story until the end and deserve better like Hyakurin and Giichi, that had all their personal developments botched?

In the end this last arc became a sequence of random scenes where characters, many that you never seen before, meet at some road and start to kill themselves.
Now all that are left are somehow reunited at that beach and all that's left is more bad animated fights.
A waste of story and art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10