• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
From what I saw of the 1999 version, Gon seemed to be pretty cocky in that as well. The whole thing started with his cocky attitude telling his aunt that he would pass the hunter exam even though he's just a kid, and then catching some huge fish that no one has ever caught before. I think the fact that Gon is cocky is just part of his nature, and I actually like it. If he were too humble he would just be kid Goku from Dragon Ball.

I wouldn't say that he's cocky in the 1999 series--it's moreso that Furuhashi somewhat portrayed his naivete as a sort of deeper insight. Gon had a catchphrase that he said all of the time in the older version that encapsulates this--"I just know (何となく Nantonaku)." This would be used during situations when other characters would challenge Gon's seemingly innocent statements, wherein he would respond "I just know." And he would always be correct. Gon is somewhat of a mystic in the 1999 series.

spoiler[One of the major differences between this version and the other is that Gon doesn't have this sort of mystic insight. The way in which other characters perceive Gon's actions will be different in this version too. This won't become clear until the Chimera Ant arc, but you start to realize that Gon truly doesn't know anything. He's naive because he's a child.]

amarielah wrote:
Re: Kurapica and Leorio.
Togashi is one of two shounen mangaka (that I know of) that have had canonical (male) homosexual relations and/or relationships in their manga. And he certainly didn't seem surprised when people started shipping Kurama/Hiei. They may have toned the UST between Kurapica and Leorio up in the 1999 series, but there's still plenty of it in this one. It may not be your bag of chips, but does it really surprise you that people pick up on it?

With regard to that, I believe that fans see whatever they want to see. Togashi isn't shy when it comes to sexual humor, especially when it pertains to LGBT undertones.

Regarding Kurapika and Leorio, I haven't ever seen them as anything more than friends. In fact, I'd argue that Leorio cares more for Gon than he does Kurapika. spoiler[In the Yorknew City arc, Leorio blatantly threatens to kill Kurapika if he allows Gon and Killua to die--and he actually means it. Unlike most couples in works with Yaoi elements, both Leorio and Kurapika have an extremely masculine nature--Kurapika only looks feminine. Though I guess it's also possible that Kurapika is a woman.

I would say that shippers could make a better case for Killua being in love with Gon. I could buy that.]

---
Episode 30 was done perfectly. There are a few things I want to mention.

The highlight of the episode was Killua's conversation with Wing. It introduced an element that, if you've been perceptive, you'll have noticed keeps popping up in the series. There's a clear discrepancy between the words and actions of some of the characters.

"Gon said that he came here only to fight Hisoka...but I got the feeling that he enjoyed the thrills."

Case in point: Gon. He came to Heavens Arena to fight against Hisoka and get stronger. But Gon's match with Gido didn't make mention of that at all. Before the battle, what is he thinking?

"I just gotta fight!"

And after realizing that Gido has better control over his Nen than he, Gon doesn't choose to quit or stay out of the ring for the sake of his health. He could've done that. He could have tried it and then gone back to train with Wing. But he stays. And his motive?

"How can I keep fighting? ... But still...I want to fight!"

The repetition of those words is intentional. Count how many times he says it over the course of the first half. In the climax too.

"This way...I can still fight!"

Hisoka watches onward and trembles in excitement. One thing that Madhouse did not adapt is that in the manga, Gon trembles with excitement the entire match. This is a callback to two scenes during the Hunter Exam. The first? After Gon encounters Hisoka for the first time.

"Weird, right? I felt a little scared...but I was mostly excited."

Gon's trembling made its first appearance before the Fourth Phase of the Hunter Exam arc. Killua asks him "Are you afraid? Or are you excited?"

This is a parallel between the two characters' actions and ways.

Finally, Killua's foreboding statement should not go unnoticed. Wing, realizing that he may have made a mistake, is unsure of whether or not to regret his actions.

"It's too late. We already know it."

"Master...what have I done? Have I created an unstoppable monster?"

Keep watching for more.
amarielah

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...fair points. Personally, I've never really shipped Leorio with anyone. And I've always been partial Kurapica/Melody, regardless of Kurapica's gender.

Quote:
I would say that shippers could make a better case for Killua being in love with Gon. I could buy that.

I would agree with you on that score.
TheAmericanDream

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Heh I adore Melody, him with Kurapika would be cute if it happened. I think her character is one of my favorite things about the Yorknew arc.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Ha, episode 32.

This episode did one thing I REALLY like and puts this episode well above the original anime. Also nice that they explained Hisoka's ability sooner.

It actually animated spoiler[Kastro's fight with Hisoka. I vaguely remember the fight not even being shown before, it just showed Kastro taking out his arm, and the next we see of the fight was Hisoka killing Kastro,] and proceeded to explain what happened in detail.

I wonder how many more episodes till this arc ends though.

PS - one thing that's always bugged me even in the manga. Why do nen abilities have two names? Like Hisoka's "Bungee Gum (Elastic Love)".
4750G

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Gon*Gon here, I did like episode 32 over its respective counterpart in the original anime.

I enjoyed watching Hisoka's fight. If I remember correctly, the original showed Castro spoiler[chopping off Hisoka's arm one second and dying the next]. But this episode showed something more, and you can never have too many fight scenes.

That aside, Machi's pink hair is not as good as her original blue/purple, in my opinion. That may be the only disappointment I got from this episode, but that applies for the entire show. Why are all the colors changing?
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
Apparently these are all original colours. The first anime either changed the colours or gave them what they thought were the right colours.

Yeah, Machi's pink hair threw me off at first too. I NEVER recalled seeing her in colour.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
PS - one thing that's always bugged me even in the manga. Why do nen abilities have two names? Like Hisoka's "Bungee Gum (Elastic Love)".

They represent a second meaning. The spoken name of a Nen ability (Bungee Gum, in this case) should strictly be considered a sort of label.

The "Elastic Love" name is supposed to connect to its' user's personality; it reveals Hisoka's inherent traits/secret desires.

These secondary names are often derived from other works of fiction, innuendo ("Elastic Love"... -_-Wink, idiom, phrase, etc.

Whenever you see a Nen ability's name in parentheses, start to question how it connects to the character whom created it.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:

They represent a second meaning. The spoken name of a Nen ability (Bungee Gum, in this case) should strictly be considered a sort of label.

The "Elastic Love" name is supposed to connect to its' user's personality; it reveals Hisoka's inherent traits/secret desires.

These secondary names are often derived from other works of fiction, innuendo ("Elastic Love"... -_-Wink, idiom, phrase, etc.

Whenever you see a Nen ability's name in parentheses, start to question how it connects to the character whom created it.

Or more specifically. It's a double meaning of the kanji of said ability having another meaning if you translate it directly from kanji rather than the english name you hear them speaking. Seen it a lot in another series.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, they had this in Bleach whenever arrancars released as well.

What a flexible language.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not really a big fan of action sequences - part of the reason I like HxH more than other shounen series is certainly due to its emphasis on thinking and strategy instead of force - but I've gotta say... The Gon x Hisoka sequence was incredibly well done and genuinely impressed me.

Now another long week to go until we get more...
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
The action sequence in this episode was incredible. It's good to see Madhouse allowing top quality animation for the series' biggest matches. The match between Gon and Hisoka was one of the most well-animated fights I've seen in years.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
For you other guys that have already seen the first half of the Hisoka vs. Gon fight: spoiler[was it being subtly suggested that they were moving too fast for the ref to call any hits on Gon until that last one? As long as I properly understand the scoring system: Hisoka should have been awarded points for some of those hits, such as the slam to Gon's stomach, right? I know he didn't get any knockdown points because Gon landed on his feet each time, but it seems like he should've earned more than a single point.]
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
lol, I know exactly what the main highlight of THIS episode! Feel like taking a guess?

"spoiler[schwing!]" Laughing

I don't know how and where, but some day I am going to say that in some context that makes sense only to myself.

Regarding this episode...the action scene was nice. Watching how well done it was made me go to Youtube just to see the same match in the first anime again. And I gotta admit, it aged better than I expected for such an old anime. Still great even by today's standards.

Quote:
was it being subtly suggested that they were spoiler[moving too fast for the ref to call any hits on Gon until that last one? As long as I properly understand the scoring system: Hisoka should have been awarded points for some of those hits, such as the slam to Gon's stomach, right? I know he didn't get any knockdown points because Gon landed on his feet each time, but it seems like he should've earned more than a single point.]]

I think the judge only calls the hits that actually matters.

For example, many ofspoiler[ Hisoka's hits this episode were either blocked by Gon, or hits Gon easily recovered from and jumped back in].

If each every single individual hit landed counted as a point, all you need is speed and a bit of brains to reach the top. It won't be a gauge of skill or fighting abilities and instead just rewards someone for being able to land blows really fast.

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
free2slap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I had to rewind and watch that fight three times when i saw it. That was undoubtedly the best episode so far in the anime. And I was a bit surprise spoiler[when hisoka's buttocks] came on screen, because i thought they were determined to censor everything that were way too exposing. Hisoka nonetheless was on a roll, and it was a great reminder about what kind of a disturbing psycho he is.

A lot was different in this episode, and especially the animation, the fight again was also the best. It makes me hopeful for the Yorkshin arc that's almost close to us.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
Another really well-done action episode. I can't compare to the older TV show, having never seen it, but as a fan of the manga I think this is an incredible adaptation. One of my highlights of each week.

I'm happy we're finally entering the Yorknew arc, but I'm also dreading the fact that we're probably about to get another recap episode in the next couple of weeks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 52