• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Way tooo much Saki this episode. She had way too much fun in her new spoiler[little toy aka the Camellia. Anyways, something in her past obviously made her the person she is today based on those brief flashbacks.]

Otherwise, I think she did pretty well in this episode in terms of combat. HOWEVER, they have another plan.

Oh and this show is once again shows comedy; can't take that spoiler[body switch] thing serious at all hehe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
No singing this week? Sad

Well, at least we got a new spoiler[undead teenaged super robot pilot. "Resigning as a human being? Sounds good, humanity sucks anyway."] Oh, boy.

I have to say, I like the pro-activeness of these students, who seem to willingly choosespoiler[ climbing into the cockpits instead of being forced to do so by daddy/society/fate]. But then again, turns out their school spoiler[was a breeding ground for future Valvrave pilots] anyway.

I hope L-Elf gets his Valvrave sometime soon. He had too little screen time once again.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Runkino] made a bold choice.
That girl was so full of bitterness..
Taking spoiler[Tokishima's body] was a nasty prank.
L-Elf is beginning to see there is more to that school than meets the eye.
The spoiler[Dorssian attack] was an unpleasant surprise.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
So this week Saki became a space vampire too(I give the show credit for defying the status quo of only bishonens being vampires)...BUT SHE TURNS OUT TO BE TOTALLY CRAZY.

I have to say that was the most hilarious "plot twist" the show has pulled so far and I certainly didn't see it coming even though her acting emo half the time should have been a clue. At any rate it had me rolling over in laughter during the first half of the ep with her running around doing a bunch of random crazy stuff. The actual space battle though while cool looking was kinda meh, especially since trying to make Saki's character seem serious(?) was kind of a dumb move with her how crazy they made her in the first half. I do hope they keep her character as being slightly off her rocker though for at least a little while longer. It'll keep things entertaining at least.

On a random note I also have to say that evil politician dying such an anticlimactic death was both funny and downright sad at the same time. Guess the writers don't feel like having any serious antagonists in the series other than the Space Nazis for now.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
i don't see how this ep is funny. i did even laugh once. But that's just me, maybe this is the best comedy for you guys. I like different type of comedy.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:29 am Reply with quote
So L-Elf discovered that there's something weird about the school and the Valvraves. Here's to hoping that we'll get to see more of him next week and that he'll share what he discovered with Haruto.

And Saki is absolutely bonkers. spoiler[She got into "Carmilla" just because she wants to be famous?] Alrighty then.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
What confused me a bit in episode 6 was that we saw Saki spoiler[vamp Haruto and thus take over his body, but we didn't get to see how they switched back] (unless I simply missed it). That seems odd.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
@Blood- I'm guessing she just went back to where he was, brought him back to his room, bit him again and left him there. Remember that the biter immediately wakes back up but the bitee does not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

So they did add some character to Saki, her motivation for becoming a pilot was to be spoiler[famous, and just before she gives up her humanity she comments that she hates humans]. In that short moment they changed her from what I thought was a little to perfect but likable character, into a spoiler[flawed human being who played on my expectations in a way that actually like the character, but in a way not like her personally]. Her doing those spoiler[dirty pranks was great, perhaps because it almost feels plausible that she chose the little sister route].

I also liked more focus of their "leaders" in a control centre over being in their school, although it got rather corny.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6. Needs more signing in my legend of the galactic gundam macross geass guilty neon genesis vampire power ranger high school musical.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
...Yeah, that just about sums up this show, doesn't it?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Ep 6. Needs more signing in my legend of the galactic gundam macross geass guilty neon genesis vampire power ranger high school musical.

rheiders wrote:
...Yeah, that just about sums up this show, doesn't it?

I'd say that's an amusing but inaccurate description, yet I am not in the mood to nitpick. Wink

Moving on...I enjoyed episode 6. Saki really is the kind of character that I can see a lot of people disliking, for obvious reasons, but I am definitely on the side that prefers even someone like that to our dear protagonist. Not everyone needs to be a saint in fiction and sometimes being selfish is considerably more entertaining than being selfless.

It also helps that I can't say "no" to throwing spinning energy discs/yo-yo weapons at the enemy.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

It also helps that I can't say "no" to throwing spinning energy discs/yo-yo weapons at the enemy.

The only thing I can think of when I see Saki's weapon is this kind of device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nhb1qpL9Ws.

as a kid, I had a similar toy (though rubber band powered as opposed to motorized), so such a thing is ingrained in my consciousness, and I can't take Saki's disks very seriously. I think it might be supposed to remind you of those toys however.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
@Galap They are Chakrams.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

The only thing I can think of when I see Saki's weapon is this kind of device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nhb1qpL9Ws.

as a kid, I had a similar toy (though rubber band powered as opposed to motorized), so such a thing is ingrained in my consciousness, and I can't take Saki's disks very seriously. I think it might be supposed to remind you of those toys however.

You can look at it that way, but then again I wouldn't see it as a negative. In fact, it reminds me a little more of one of the weapons used by the Super Robot Combattler V, as seen here. I think both of them are pretty cool.

Honestly, I'm past the stage where the underlying toyetic nature of mecha would pose any problems here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 32