• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
To quote my dear friend Jeff on why Yui didn't actually die in the first arc of Sword Art Online despite everything building to her perma-death and her lack of narrative presence after her revival... I think this was going on in the writer's head when writing SAO. "But then she comes back, because WE CAN'T LET ANYONE THINK THEIR WAIFU ACTUALLY DIED! THEY MIGHT STOP WATCHING AND GIVING US MONEY!"

Lol but nobody is going to make the ten-year-old their "waifu" when they can choose from the teenage Asuna, Leafa, Liz, or Suguha. I don't think that's really the reason. I think Kawahara chose to keep Yui for Asuna's sake.

Quote:
Nunnally should have definitely stayed dead.

Agreed. >_>
HOW SHE "ESCAPED" WAS SUCH BS.

Oh yes, Prison School is utterly hilarious. (Meiko does really gross me out. HIGH SCHOOLERS DON'T LOOK LIKE THAT.) I thought she was the principal or a teach when I first saw her. 0_o She has that "old hag" look.

I just finished episode 10. The tits or ass question was one of the greatest moments in anime this decade. And no, I'm not being satirical or sarcastic. I genuinely believe that. It managed to flawlessly mix COMEDY and SUSPENSE! Do you know how difficult that is!?

And as for no one wanting a 10 year old waifu... fine. I'll use the rarely used term. Daughteru. But if the writer actually changed the way the story should have gone for the sake of a FICTIONAL character's emotions, then I think he needs to get his life in order. Anime hyper
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I just finished episode 10. The tits or ass question was one of the greatest moments in anime this decade. And no, I'm not being satirical or sarcastic. I genuinely believe that. It managed to flawlessly mix COMEDY and SUSPENSE! Do you know how difficult that is!?

That was very funny. Anime hyper I was surprised how PS ended up being an extremely suspenseful show with almost every episode. It has a powerful hook.

Quote:
But if the writer actually changed the way the story should have gone for the sake of a FICTIONAL character's emotions, then I think he needs to get his life in order. Anime hyper

As fun as it is to be really mean to your characters.....sometimes it's too difficult. How the story "should have gone"? It's Kawahara's story...he can do as he pleases. lol
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
He sure can. And as a consumer of his media, I can criticize him when he makes, what I consider to be, mistakes that I can also consider to be very easy to avoid making. Hell, the fact that Yui doesn't do much after her revival kinda tells me that he wanted her to permanently die, or at least knew that it was the right thing to do, narrative-wise. It's kind of like how Avdol from Stardust Crusaders dies from CLEARLY being shot in the head, but comes back when, "PSYCHE, the bullet just grazed his head a little!" And after coming back, Avdol doesn't really contribute much to anything that goes on until his real death. He was admittedly brought back by popular demand, and it shows.

Maybe Yui shouldn't have permanently died, but the way that the saved her just felt so... easy. To bring her back, there should have been sacrifice. It reeks of having your cake and eating it too, from a writing perspective. I wanna make my audience sad by killing off a cute little girl, but I also wanna make them happy by not actually killing that character. It's more transparent than Clannad After Story.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I have now finished 16 episodes of Nadia and am still enjoying it.

Nadia's attitude can be very irritating and annoying but it is not really bothering me much. That is partly because it is not unrealistic, there are quite a few real people who share her beliefs and some are just as unreasonable as she can be, and also because she is fairly consistent.
In addition to that she is still a child and I should not expect her to be aware of all of the consequences and implications of what others are doing.

Nadia is still an entertaining adventure show with a fair amount of comedy, mostly from Grandis and company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I have now finished 16 episodes of Nadia and am still enjoying it.

Nadia's attitude can be very irritating and annoying but it is not really bothering me much. That is partly because it is not unrealistic, there are quite a few real people who share her beliefs and some are just as unreasonable as she can be, and also because she is fairly consistent.
In addition to that she is still a child and I should not expect her to be aware of all of the consequences and implications of what others are doing.

Nadia is still an entertaining adventure show with a fair amount of comedy, mostly from Grandis and company.

Ha ha... realistic. It's okay until the Island arc. But yeah, Grandis' crew was the single best part of the anime for me.
peter a

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching Assassination Classroom, which has now moved to my number one anime spot of all time, I don`t know why it`s not got into more people top 10 lists.
I was a bit of a emotional rollercoaster at times, but consider it to be one of those rare anime which has a story to tell with each episode.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I have now finished 24 episodes of Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water, which is more than half of it, and I am still enjoying it a lot.
The last few episodes have had more action than average so far.

24 was the first of the "island" episodes and it did seem different, especially Nadia herself, but I still liked it.
Tomorrow will probably be nothing but island episodes for me since I have been watching eight episodes per day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote

How did you find episode 16, out of interest? Out of everything you have covered so far, I hold that its suddenly pensive tone and stirring Atlantean background imagery were an example of Anno at his absolute finest.

If you keep a keen eye open, the style of visual symbols that came to give Evangelion much of its character can be glimpsed at in prototype form in this series, as and when the story permits. (Only not in the island arc, of course.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
@Zin5ki
Episode 16 was more dramatic and emotional than most, but that is not really a positive aspect for me.
And I really do not want to think about Evangelion when watching Nadia, or most other times.
To me the visual imagery is just some interesting drawings.

Some things happened in episode 16 of Nadia that should have significantly affected the characters, but to me they do not seem to be acting any differently after that episode than before.
This does not bother me, but it does seem to make episode 16 sort of irrelevant.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
On the opposite side, I was thinking of Nadia when I originally watched Evengelion. In particular, the "eyes" on the 9th and 10th Angels look very similar to the one used by Neo Atlantis.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I just finished episode 32 of Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water.
If I understand correctly I still have one "island" episode to watch, but I will comment on the island episodes now.
I like them but I can definitely understand why some people might not.

With the exception of the few parts which are relevant to the main story all nine episodes have been mostly comedy. A lot of it was a slapstick comedy cartoon version of the show.
I can see how this would have been very annoying to people who wanted to get on with the story. Even for many who like the comedy it might have been too much at one time.
But it seemed about right to me because I was ready to take a nice long break from all of the drama, and now I am ready too get back to it.

Another issue is that the animation seemed to get rather shaky at times. Sometimes it was literally shaky with things moving in strange ways. Other times things that obviously should have been moving were not.
Things could also appear and disappear randomly. In one scene a character was holding a drawing that changed from black and white to color and back to black and white in just a few seconds.
It did not bother me much but I am not very sensitive to animation and video problems, but since I did notice the problems they must have been very annoying to those who are sensitive to such things.

I seems like I have seven episodes left, so I should be finishing the show tomorrow.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote

You have another discardable episode to endure, and then a variation on a compilation episode—albeit a novelly satisfying one—before you are fully clear.
Worry not though! Episode 35 is my favourite of the entire series, due to a particularly tender moment shared between the main protagonists. If you enjoyed the final episode of GunBuster, you shall find it pleasantly familiar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I felt like going outside of my comfort zone for once and started watching Yuri!!! on ICE because it seems to be one of the hottest (uh..) shows this season. So watching the main character develop his skills and succeed is one of the main things to watch. It has a pretty good opening, but I definitely prefer the ending which is really cool. I like how the pics are like pics taken by the characters and shared on social media.

As for the show, it's good. It's fun watching Yuri trying to advance his skating career, making rivals along the way and surprising people with his skills. Pretty much the stuff you'd expect to see in a sports anime, but the execution is good.

Last edited by Cam0 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Watched Hosoda's film The Boy and the Best. I am a big fan of his work but this film was particularly weak, I still rated it good thanks to it's high quality art, animation and direction but the writing was very bland and uninspiring. I wonder how it got such high ratings in sites like MAL (8.6 these I believe), since it's a rather mediocre film besides it's technical quality.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think The Boy and the Beast is Hosoda's weakest film. I feel asleep during a theatrical screening of it. So disappointing after coming off Wolf Children. Hope his next one is a big step up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 943 of 1062