• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Upotte!! (ONA).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
I guess you could say they're the "spirits" of the rifles in a Shinto sort of sense, but not quite gods/kami? Everything in existence has a spirit, these are the spirits of the guns, to be good spirits they have to understand themselves???

Oh who cares, You can't #^*% a rifle, a rifle isn't going to blush at you and call you onii-chan, or say "It's not like I'm firing an automatic burst FOR YOU!" So, they're moe girls you can nurture and teach and love and form a bond with. "Simple."

I'm not even bothering watching any more episodes so the point is moot anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Oh who cares, You can't #^*% a rifle, a rifle isn't going to blush at you and call you onii-chan, or say "It's not like I'm firing an automatic burst FOR YOU!" So, they're moe girls you can nurture and teach and love and form a bond with. "Simple."

And you should not lock girls up in a case under your bed, it is a very important distinction to make.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

And you should not lock girls up in a case under your bed, it is a very important distinction to make.

Why not.. I have M24 Sniper Raifu under my bed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Gun-girl or not, that shouldn't affect a 400m range drop on an A4 or 300m tagged onto an SG550--and the falling water really irks me. Maybe it'd curve a .22, but a 5.56 at 2,000+ fps....?

Last edited by Svidrigailov on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Anyhoo, in answer to your question: I share your mystification. I, too, was under the impression that the girls are actually guns, but we have not seen any evidence of that. I rather suspect we never will.

It's blatantly stated in the manga spoiler[in fact, so much so that Funko tells the teacher, after he was shot and completely unharmed, that she is a tool, and as a tool having no inherent will of her own, cannot harm a human by herself: only humans can kill humans.] I know that's going to tick gun rights activists off, but it really is true.

They are guns in human form. What harms them harms their firearm, and vice-versa. It's magic, ain't gotta explain shyte, etc. It's really best to just not think too hard about it.

As for what's coming up and what you can expect: more training and war games, Galil, the AK series of antagonists, more of the elementary school pistol round guns, Galil, a much more serious turn in tone, and Galil. Galil's already confirmed best raifu, next to G3 and FAL.

What I like about the series is a lot of what's fun to observe in Strike Witches, the little clever details worked into the design and personalities of the girls. Like why does M16 have an orange slice in her hair? Because it's the windage knob for her rear sight. Why does L85 carry an umbrella? Because her plastic parts get damaged in the sun. Why does Galil have nekomimi despite being a NATO girl? Because her design is derived from the AK series.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
Being in the military, I can at least attest to the accuracy of not only the design, but the functions (and reasons for those functions) of the M-16A4 as depicted. That being said, one can probably look at this show as a trustworthy representation of each nation's respective standard-issue assault rifle. I have to admit, I did smile when they even got the bullet trajectory physics right (to a point; I honestly doubt that spoiler[FNC would have missed Fal at so close a range, even if the effects of the fountain are taken into account]), and I was fascinated by some of the comparative breakdowns of each weapon.

However, I am dropping this for the simple reason that it is more or less a longer version of Hetalia with an emphasis on the military-grade firearms of each respective nation. It's amusing simply for how asinine the premise is; conversely, that same premise screams obvious moe: weapons personified as really cute girls. Frankly, it's not very compelling, plot-wise or visually, the animation being average at best.

It gave me a few laughs though.

Gatherum, signing off at 2 episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Nice little guilty pleasure show if I do say so myself.

There's another kind?

This seriously is the most WTF anime of the year. This has all the little-girl-plus-gun ero-fetish that Gunslinger Girl never went for. And it goes well beyond innuendo -- unless you want to call depicting a middle-school girl having an uncontrolled orgasmic experience subtle.

I rather like it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
So I got to see the little kid guns that I was hoping for, they are apparently SMGs with pistol bullets, except for one tall kid who apparently has rifle bullets. I have accepted its setting for purely fun now, so the size of the gun is the hight, size of bullet is age, and various other things like that bit about kid talking so quick because speed of firing.

learning things also, like apparently britain being a bit of a joke with their L85, sounds like I had used one in a game once, but doubt it was unreliable as what they were saying here.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
I chuckled at the Goemon reference in the most recent episode. The centrifugal force thing is creative, but I highly doubt its plausibility. Also, the A1 (Eru) is NOT currently used by the British Military, and hasn't been since HK produced the A2, integrating it in 2009. The jamming and mag issues are legitimate (the mag-release was poorly placed and would sometimes catch on a soldier's gear), but the jamming was due to a low tolerance for foreign material (namely sand/dust) which is attracted to the lubricant -- something, as I happen to recall, the M-16 was notorious for in Vietnam. The A1 was incontrovertibly crap for desert combat, and I would've left it at that...but no, they had to rail against the A2 as well. The year of commission was off, and to act like US firing instructors aren't complaining about the M4, or that HK's XM8 and 416 -- and FNH's MK16 -- didn't outperform it in dust tests by orders of magnitude is just plain wrong. What's more, criticizing this "dogged determinism" should equally apply to the US, as in light of this info the head of Combat Development essentially said, "Meh, we'll fix it in the next one." This was in '07.

And honestly, "dogged determination and stubbornness" is pretty hypocritical coming from a Japanese show. Fukushima, anyone?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
And honestly, "dogged determination and stubbornness" is pretty hypocritical coming from a Japanese show. Fukushima, anyone?

Japanese perceptions of other nationalities is probably one of the more charming attributes of anime.

They seem rather fascinated by the Europeans, which to them are Germans, Brits, and French. So many shows have the inevitable" transfer student" and you get the personality types (not always the same) they expect from that group.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm still digging all of the quirks the characters have, like M16 cleaning herself most likely as a testament to how she isn't a rifle that jams, that's just because knuckleheads thought she didn't need it in Vietnam. So now she overcompensates.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
like M16 cleaning herself most likely as a testament to how she isn't a rifle that jams,

I'd say it's the exact opposite, rather that the cleaning abates this issue. It'd be funny if she was always oiling herself up, because that's actually how they've been addressing the issue in the field (failures per 60,000 rounds at standard lube was like 800, but well lubed was around 300). But if we're talking about reliability, the AK will win hands down every time...so long as you're willing to sacrifice some accuracy.

Last edited by Svidrigailov on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
like M16 cleaning herself most likely as a testament to how she isn't a rifle that jams,

I'd say it's the exact opposite.

When properly maintained and cleaned, she won't jam by default, like the L85A1 will.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Svidrigailov wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I'd say it's the exact opposite.

When properly maintained and cleaned, she won't jam by default, like the L85A1 will.

Check the edit.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
I wanted to answer just the OP main question: They are guns. It's an abstract notion and really there's no meaningful explanation to it. It's like trying to explain a Fuller Potter artpiece. It's. just. there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8