• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shiki LE Blu-Ray + DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:
I own the first BD + DVD set and have watched up until episode 12. I'm not sure I'll be going any further.

Trouble is, I'm not feeling the oft-mentioned sense of dread, nor much atmosphere at all for that matter. Shiki was intriguing at first, when there was still a certain air of mystery, but then characters I didn't care about kept getting offed and the most visible antagonist in these first 12 episodes is just too goofy looking to carry any real menace. Without atmosphere or any real scares to speak of (and no, Shiki slowly descending from trees or floating at windows does not make me crap myself), all I'm left with is a show that feels oddly-paced and, well, a bit boring. The stiff character movement hardly helps either, brutally diffusing what little tension the show is able to build.

At least the ridiculously OTT Masao, who managed to stink up every scene he was in and whose voice in both languages was like nails on a chalkboard, didn't stick around for too long. But I fear the show hasn't seen the last of him...

The show gets a lot better during the second half. You would be doing yourself a great disservice by not finishing it.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I must be the only person who actually liked the character designs for Shiki. Laughing

I'm not a fan of the style in general, but for this series they looked out of place enough to give a somewhat creepy vibe that worked for me.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I also agree that the pacing is slow and that it took too long for the villagers and the doctor to realize what was going on. But I also think the second half gets much better

Finally I don't think Shiki is horror at all--at least it didn't feel like one to me. It shines as a tragedy (but one with closure) A sad downward spiral for most involved that only has one positive outcome at the end to give a bittersweet flavor, instead of leaving it as a pure tragedy. I started to sympathize with the vampires spoiler[(or those infected)] and the OVA/extra episode detailing the story of that hunt with one of the girls is just sad.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I must be the only person who actually liked the character designs for Shiki. Laughing

I'm not a fan of the style in general, but for this series they looked out of place enough to give a somewhat creepy vibe that worked for me.
I also liked the character designs. The quirkiness matched the off kilter tone of the show.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I also agree that the pacing is slow and that it took too long for the villagers and the doctor to realize what was going on. But I also think the second half gets much better

Finally I don't think Shiki is horror at all--at least it didn't feel like one to me. It shines as a tragedy (but one with closure) A sad downward spiral for most involved that only has one positive outcome at the end to give a bittersweet flavor, instead of leaving it as a pure tragedy. I started to sympathize with the vampires spoiler[(or those infected)] and the OVA/extra episode detailing the story of that hunt with one of the girls is just sad.

I'd definitely agree with your sentiment that it's a tragedy. But I also think it fits the bill for "horror" as well-- it has the Gothic horror feel of something like Edgar Allen Poe. I get frightened very easily and the show definitely scared the crap out of me at some points, but its totally worth it-- the slow build and scary bits (if they scare you) pay off in spades with the amazing revelations of the second part. The way characters are reversed (or how the viewer sees them, at least) is sublime.
Shiki is daring because it's so reserved. When the shit hits the fan it's just that much more dramatic!
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
The show gets a lot better during the second half. You would be doing yourself a great disservice by not finishing it.

So I hear. But my not living in North America rules out renting or legal streams (there is currently no physical or digital release in my country), leaving me with no other option than to import part 2. And I'm just not sure Shiki is a series I want to own, even if the second half is great.

Regarding the character designs, I also like them for the most part but feel that perhaps they're not appropriate for this show. It's a bold stylistic choice, I guess, but I would've preferred more low-key designs and a more muted colour palette. And if the hair hadn't been so elaborate the animators might have stood a chance of actually animating the characters...
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Shiki, it was my favorite show of 2010. The only complaint I had was the ending, but that's a discussion for another day.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I absolutely loved Shiki, it was my favorite show of 2010. The only complaint I had was the ending, but that's a discussion for another day.

It's always at the last that trips them up. Story of Japanese Olympics. Laughing
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching this one. While it is doing a fairly good job at slowly building tension I find the character designs to be distracting and kind of baffling. The weird people who are obviously the vampires look so silly I tend to feel like I'm suddenly watching an anime version of The Addams Family or something. They may be distinctive, but they feel inappropriate. They'd feel more at home in a campy action series or something. Natsuno looks a little like a '70's giant robot hero anyway.

Another, fairly small, problem was the first episode. spoiler[It's a fake-out to get you to think that Megumi is the main character only for her to die, which is a good stab at the "dread of death" angle the review mentions, but I found her annoying and was relieved that she wasn't going to be in the rest of the series. I should be feeling the opposite. It reminded me a little of the fake-out opening to Ga-Rei Zero in that respect.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
No, you shouldn't be feeling the opposite. They purposely made Megumi extremely annoying so you wouldn't care. Hell, I was extremely happy with her death, particularly that her disdain for the village was ultimately the cause of it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No, you shouldn't be feeling the opposite. They purposely made Megumi extremely annoying so you wouldn't care. Hell, I was extremely happy with her death, particularly that her disdain for the village was ultimately the cause of it.

Then I don't see how this is serving the series as a horror piece. Shouldn't the death of a character be an unpleasant shock, not a relief? In the next episode Megumi's friend ruminates on her fate in a decent attempt to drive the fear of death thing through. Isn't it trying to get the audience to take death seriously?
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Fronzel
I think you might need to watch just a few more episodes. Her death, even if it may have been intended to be welcome, is supposed to set up what's to come. If you've finished episode 4, you should be able to realize the creators' intentions.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Then I don't see how this is serving the series as a horror piece. Shouldn't the death of a character be an unpleasant shock, not a relief? In the next episode Megumi's friend ruminates on her fate in a decent attempt to drive the fear of death thing through. Isn't it trying to get the audience to take death seriously?

Shiki is much more interested in asking questions of humanity and decency than serving as a traditional horror flick. I personally think they wanted the reader/viewer to hate Megumi (and spoiler[Masao]... and a few other select characters) so that the viewer/reader could be joyful at their death. If you finish the series, you may see things a bit differently.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to watch the show but I bought dvd 1 and 2 and cannot wait to see it...I would like it to be a quality show
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2