• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Pulls in the Viewers for Adult Swim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Now Cartoon Network needs to show Azumanga Daioh. That would bring in a whole new wave of viewers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Worldestroyer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote
They would if CN and ADV got along well.... If the rumor is true, CN won't show anything of ADV's. The last thing was NGE...along long long time ago.. if i remember correctly. Please correct me if i'm mistaken
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Worldestroyer wrote:
They would if CN and ADV got along well.... If the rumor is true, CN won't show anything of ADV's. The last thing was NGE...along long long time ago.. if i remember correctly. Please correct me if i'm mistaken

No. You are correct. Cartoon Network last showed several ADV titles during their "Giant Robot Week." Unfortunatley though, a lot of the material they aired was heavily edited. So yeah, I suppose ADV may still hold a little resentment.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so all that stuff about Adult Swim airing Super Milk-chan was some horrific hallucination of mine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Wait, so all that stuff about Adult Swim airing Super Milk-chan was some horrific hallucination of mine?

Whoops. Sorry about that. I haven't been watching CN for the last 3 weeks and forgot Super Milk-chan was an ADV property.. Guess ADV isn't as angry as I thought.
Jadress

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
Now Cartoon Network needs to show Azumanga Daioh. That would bring in a whole new wave of viewers.

I highly doubt that. Azumanga Daioh is definitely not the type of show that will bring in a mainstream fan base. Well.. Super Milk Chan probably isn't either, but... yeah..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
emory

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I highly doubt that. Azumanga Daioh is definitely not the type of show that will bring in a mainstream fan base. Well.. Super Milk Chan probably isn't either, but... yeah..

Milk though looks like a western animation show.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i guess something about a cop running around in next to nothing really pulls in the female crowd.Wink

Well, for four episodes, they've developed Togusa and the Tachikomas more than Kusanagi. I guess watching the first movie would help, but that's okay.

(Btw, it took me until the 2nd ep to realize the "main" char wasn't wearing pants.)
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I wish everything in tv and film industry didn't revolve around the business concept of demographics.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I wish everything in tv and film industry didn't revolve around the business concept of demographics.

Then how would they sell advertising?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:58 am Reply with quote
Yes, I know. But it conflicts with pure creativity. You have to kinda bend your stuff around advertising then. Its just an ideal, I'm not saying its feasible.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:22 am Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh could probably air on CN during Miguzi with no editing done.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
MasterPug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:51 am Reply with quote
Worldestroyer wrote:

Actually, you have it backwards. ADV wouldn't let CN show anything. With ADV trying to run their own anime network, it would be a bad decision to license their best shows to their biggest competitor. For some reason, ADV has recently lightened up on this policy and has offered CN some of its less successful shows for a much more reasonable price. Mainly shows that aren't likely to air on The Anime Network.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:16 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Azumanga Daioh could probably air on CN during Miguzi with no editing done.

you mean aside from removing a certain teacher who's a raving alchaholic, right? And the boob jokes. And the lecherous male teacher. Nah, Azudai was made for a junior high/high school teen girl demographic, not an elementary school group. Not that kids couldn't watch it, but they're not the target either and it certainly isn't going to be shown to American kids as is. I doubt it could even survive Toonami unedited. If it was ever to show up on Cartoon Network untouched it would be on that bastardised 1am block Saturday mornings, the home for missfit anime.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stitch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Atleast they are showing some anime like FMA on your tube, we get none of that and even if we do, it'll be so horrible I can't to stand to watch it more than a couple of min. tops.
Coz now they feel that they have to dub it in Dutch and the Dutch VAers are not good.
There a couple from the Alfred J. Kwak series that are reasonable and nice to listen too but the crap VAers that are dubbing Pokemon and Yugioh in Dutch are horrible and should be banned from TV!

Not to mention they cut like crazy in the series Anime hyper

So I for one just buy what I want and that's where most of my salary goes too, anime import DVDs.

As for new hype, any network that'll show Naruto is going to get a big boom in audience, in both age and gender groups.
Although I'm thinking it'll be edited quite a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3