• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Movie Blu-ray to Have Changes From 1984 Original

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you go by Robotech's history, the Zentradi were created by the Masters, who warned the Zendtradi to stay away from the human race (or Micronians as they call us). For a manufactured race, perhaps this was a weakness in the Zentradi, that was known by their Masters.

Whether or not this Robotech story line holds true for the Macross story line, I cannot say. I am sure there are some Macross experts out there who can say definitely.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I heard someone say that recent releases of DYRL have removed some of the really bloody death scenes, so I think that's what we're going to see changed here. I'm a huge wuss so I didn't like those scenes, but still, they were part of the huge, ornate spectacle that was DYRL and I don't know if I really want them to be GONE.

Personally, I really love and admire the 80s Macross for how sweet and idealistic it is. It does such a good job painting a universe where every character is at heart a charming, funny person whose life is worthy of respect; it really makes you believe that understanding is the key to cultural progress. You never see anything so uncynical and earnest these days-- heck, even the last 11 or so episodes, which were added to the story after the series was unexpectedly extended, take a weird cynical turn and sort of cannibalize the rest of the series. And I think that DYRL does a pretty good job of summing up a lot of that idealism that makes Macross so special!

I just wish I could buy it! ;~;
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I cancelled my pre-order because of these edits. I don't like being a snob, but in this instance where I'm shelling out $200 for a movie that won't have English subs and is now being edited for no good reason (like unrepairable damage to the original film stock making them have to alter the footage) is just too much.

I'm still hoping and praying that Korea or England or Australia will somehow get English subbed Macross releases for us to simply import. Hell, with Japan all over the reverse importation these days let's get them to release English subs for this franchise! But until that day, and now with the unnecessary edits, I'll keep my distance =/
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Well, if you go by Robotech's history, the Zentradi were created by the Masters, who warned the Zendtradi to stay away from the human race (or Micronians as they call us). For a manufactured race, perhaps this was a weakness in the Zentradi, that was known by their Masters.

Whether or not this Robotech story line holds true for the Macross story line, I cannot say. I am sure there are some Macross experts out there who can say definitely.

The Zentradi were created by the Protoculture to fight the Supervision Army, who were Zentradi and Protoculture brainwashed by the protodeviln. I don't think they were supposed to be anything more than just a tool. Robotech is completely unrelated here, as it prioritized other aspects over music, or culture in general.

IdeaOfEvil wrote:
I cancelled my pre-order because of these edits. I don't like being a snob, but in this instance where I'm shelling out $200 for a movie that won't have English subs and is now being edited for no good reason (like unrepairable damage to the original film stock making them have to alter the footage) is just too much.

Maybe someone will do an edit and put them back in. Cutting anything for superficial reason like "I don't like blood anymore" is outrageous. The only times I understand cuts in film is when you have a scene that drags on too long, but even then I'm wary and it needs a very case-by-case approach. I don't care if the director has changed over time, what the director wanted then is more important, and if you really feel that such pointless cuts are needed, offer both versions. Go the Blade Runner route and have 10 different cuts, the fans can take it, but don't permanently screw the release over.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I think people are forgetting that Noboru Ishiguro was the principal director of DYRL, not Shoji Kawamori. As Ishiguro is no longer with us, it's impossible to know if he would approve of these changes.

I'm a little ticked, but I'm keeping my preorder.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
I think people are forgetting that Noboru Ishiguro was the principal director of DYRL, not Shoji Kawamori. As Ishiguro is no longer with us, it's impossible to know if he would approve of these changes.

Well, that makes it even worse to me. Although we have no idea how much involvement Mr. Ishiguro would have had on the restoration project before he passed, it wasn't all that long ago. It's possible even he asked for the cuts, but I still disagree with them in any case.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I believe Ishiguro and Kawamori were credited as directors with equal billing. While Ishiguro was the more experienced of the two and helmed the TV series, Kawamori has always been seen as the main creative force behind the franchise.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I love DYRL. On the other, I hate hate HATE getting this "up yours" from Kawamori/Bandai. Tinkering with the film and then advertising a "theatrical" version is just blatantly dishonest and appalling to someone that really treasures the intact version of this film. The fact that we're only just hearing about this now at the eleventh hour is additionally frustrating; I've been looking forward to this for months, and now even if I stick with this preorder, the anticipation is gone. "Can't wait 'till someone releases a fan edit!" is pretty depressing for what is otherwise looking to be a great release. What a shame.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Both versions in the Hybrid Pack will have changes from film's original 1984 version. According to Namco Bandai, the two Hybrid Pack versions both have shots altered as part of the retakes and restoration under the supervision of director Shoji Kawamori.

Remember Kawamori, Macross shot first!
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
I was on the fence about importing this. I LOVE this movie, but no subs (What a missed opportunity, Bandai!) + Japanese pricing was making me waver. Now that I know about these Lucasian shenanigans, I'm going to have to pass.

Please Bandai, reconsider!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
This isn't a deal breaker for me. If I really need to see those scenes in their original format, I'll just watch one of the older discs that I have of DYRL. For me, the extras in the LE box set make up for whatever edits the Blu-ray will have. Granted, I'd prefer for the movie to be unchanged, but I can still live with the changes.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with dewlwieldthedarpachief. It's very misleading to claim something as the "theatrical release" when it has been altered from the theatrical release (unless they plan on releasing the altered version theatrically). Personally, I'm getting a little tired of works being altered to minimise an original aspect of it (in this case violence). I immediately thought of Kodansha's latest version of Shirow's Ghost In The Shell manga, where some panels were intentionally left out. Makes me glad I've got the previous Dark Horse version.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
The reason we've even heard of the cuts and alterations owes to the linked article at macrossworld, where attendees of a promo theatrical screening noticed the changes. Whether or not that counts as a theatrical screening, it's still being sold as DYRL so I don't think it's any less dishonest.

On the topic of shameful things, it's pretty weak that despite a grotesque facelift for the 2.0 version no new telecine or anything has been struck for the original Ghost in the Shell on Blu-ray. As sad as that is, I would have been happier if they just slapped the 2007 DYRL master onto a BD and called it.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
2ch thread here: http://engawa.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ranime/1343042667/

Quote:
もちろん修正されてるよ
劇場公開モードにしても変わらないよ
変わるのは完全版だと最初に簡単なあらすじが入るのと最後の天使の絵の具に絵がつくだけ

Quote:
It's been altered, of course. Even if you choose the theatrical version it's the same. The only thing that changes is in the beginning there's a simple summary and in the end there is an angel graphic.

This basically confirms the worst. The changes witnessed in the theatrical release are present in both versions offered on this release, including one erroneously advertised as "theatrical".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2