• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lychee Light Club Horror Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Holy sh*t.
I was expecting a live-action movie or something before an actual anime series.
The fall season's going to be crazy! Just hoping everything will actually turn out to be good, though.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
It appears that anime producers are starting to break away from "moe" stereotype and willing to do something very distinct and different. With shows like the stylish Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna, the wild Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and now the Suehiro Maruo-inspired style Lychee Light Club, I personally think we're seeing a level of creativity in anime we haven't seen in years.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
It appears that anime producers are starting to break away from "moe" stereotype and willing to do something very distinct and different. With shows like the stylish Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna, the wild Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and now the Suehiro Maruo-inspired style Lychee Light Club, I personally think we're seeing a level of creativity in anime we haven't seen in years.

Or not. This has always been the case, you always have more wild or experimental anime alongside your traditional and expected pieces. Just because something unique and different comes along doesn't indicate a trend, otherwise Masaaki Yuasa would be doing a new series every single season. I can dig back to 2008 and show you Kaiba, Shigofumi, Michiko to Hatchin, Casshern Sins, Real Drive, Kurenai, Ga:Rei Zero, and Kurozuka. Those are all more or less broken away from disposable moe stereotypes, but all of them together don't indicate any trend. Even all of the deep and darker anime of the late 90s together don't indicate a trend, visual novels were just starting to get animated adaptations around then too. Sorry to rail on you like that, but you're jumping to conclusions about the future. I don't see that the level of creativity is any higher than the past few years, but it's all kind of moot when you're talking adaptations in the first place, those already exist in the manga, light novel, or visual novel form and the anime are clearly made to add to overall marketability.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
No, I definitely think moe's taken its toll on the industry, as it's driven non-otaku away from anime as a whole.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll be very interested in finding the director and writer out. I'm not even sure who'd be good fits to something like this. The guy who directed Detroit Metal City seems like a possible fit, but he's spoken for.

I think he's spoken for too, but it'd be hilarious if it were Akitaroh Daichi. It'd be as incongruous in his œuvre and Now and Then, Here and There, but in a very different way.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
If it were straight out horror (or grotesque/shock/whatever the heck you'd call it) I would have stopped reading it long ago, but it has some seriously morbid and wtf humor that kept me reading. Then again I'm told I have a really @#%@ up sense of humor but now I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who was laughing at this manga. I thought of the comic as some bizarre Lord of the Flies-esq story about some really REALLY confused and trouble teens who did some seriously ridiculous things along with some really screwed up ones because of their fearless leader's screwed up logic.

I've got a pretty '@#%@' up sense of humor too. The exuberant, grotesque excess and innate ridiculousness of it all kept me smiling through parts that I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have smiled at. I saw it as story of sexually confused and ignorant adolescents who were failing at growing up, so they channeled all of their energy into theatrical overcompensation and rationalization. I found the Light Club innately absurd.

LittleGreenWolf wrote:
think the first time I laughed while reading it was during the 2nd chapter where they were Christening their robot over lychee wine and Zera started to pretend he was Jesus at the last supper. Litchi Light Club is just ridiculous if you look at it at just the right angle.

I was incredulously chuckling a little from the start; all of the overblown use of German and talk of showing their power with such preposterous relish made them seem like dumb kids trying way way way to hard to be badass, like you do when you're that age.

I definitely need to read it again before the anime airs.

Sepherest wrote:
Holy sh*t.
I was expecting a live-action movie or something before an actual anime series.

I was really surprised too. I think that Lychee Light Club is a good length for adaptation into a short television series, but I'm surprised that they chose it. Its content could repel a lot of people and it was published six years ago. Have the prequel and stage play been big successes or has it been some kind of cult property that built up enough of a loyal corps of obsessives to makes this seem worth animating?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No, I definitely think moe's taken its toll on the industry, as it's driven non-otaku away from anime as a whole.

Anime was always about Otaku.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Could we just keep the stupid moe wars bullshit out of a thread about what could be a really cool show?

Please? Because it ruins every subject it touches and nobody ever learns anything and everybody just ends up angry, confused and doubled-down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

When the evidence reflects in the balance of shows produced, I'll believe that claim. The reality points in the opposite direction. Whether or not non-otaku have been driven away is irrelevant when we're talking about what gets greenlit, and what gets greenlit in large numbers.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Fence:
Quote:

No, it's only been about otaku since Evangelion. Before, they were fringe OCD collectors whom companies catered to on the side, while selling to everyone else. Now, they are the main market, and everyone else has been ignored.

walw:
Quote:
When the evidence reflects in the balance of shows produced, I'll believe that claim.

And what evidence doesn't reflect that claim?

Quote:
Whether or not non-otaku have been driven away is irrelevant when we're talking about what gets greenlit, and what gets greenlit in large numbers.

No, what gets greenlit is whatever the hell they can sell as marked-up merch.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
I think somebody like Tsutomu Mizushima(has pretty weird sense of humor,also directed Another) and Yusuke Yamamoto(also pretty @#$% up sense of humor,did that one hentai that everybody liked) might be a prefect director for show like this.And Akitaro Daichi is already taken, he will be directing Kamisama Kiss.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Not always, but the current market is what was once the OVA market, so that portion at least has always been for non-children and non-mainstream consumers.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo, what I do like about the three series I mentioned is that the character designs and background art are so different than anything I would normally call "anime."

I mean, think about it:

Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna looks like the original early Monkey Punch manga that was published in a manga anthology intended for adult readers.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt looks like a parody of a lot of American animation we've seen in recent years on Cartoon Network.

Lychee Light Club--coming this fall--looks like a Suehiro Maruo manga story from the pages of Garo rendered as anime.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see or understand what the heck Moe has to do at all with Lychee Light Club. Non-Moe stuff exists, especially in manga. I and anyone who actually, I don't know, watches anime knows it's out there. Especially if you've watched anime outside of the last 5 years.

And please, you can't go around not calling something anime just because it has a different art direction, or doesn't have moe character designs.

It is pointless to talk about art styles because each and every character designer/illustrator has one, and if they wanted to they could mimic another. The art style won't change it from being anime.

BACK TO LYCHEE:

Surrender Artist: Funny you'd mention Detroit Metal City's director, because that was the only anime I could think of that could come close to the same style as humor Lychee has. I hope they look for someone similar, and stay away from going to hentai route.

And really... I just don't know how they're going to do this in anime form without going OVA. It's going to be a completely different creation I think. Lychee without the sex, and maybe not so much gore, and maybe just focusing on Zera's wtf Elagabalus act. If they weren't airing it, they could just stick to the manga pretty closely, but to air it there is just way too much they'd have to take out or tone down. Like that little sister bit - I can't think of an anime that has broadcasted that would keep something like that. For example, I'm trying to recall what was done with Narutaru/Shadow Star's graphic scenes when they made that into an anime (some of them almost come close to Lychee's), and it's been years since I watched it, but I'm pretty sure they left them mostly out of the anime.
opn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Turns out this anime is just going to be a short comedy series http://natalie.mu/comic/news/74212 there goes any interest i had in the anime.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Turns out this anime is just going to be a short comedy series http://natalie.mu/comic/news/74212 there goes any interest i had in the anime.

I guess that's why it was revealed to be airing this close to the date, usually we get the greenlight info well ahead of time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3