• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto GN 42-44

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
I like reading Naruto. I don't know why, I just like reading it. It's lightweight, easy to digest, very readable and incredibly addictive.
I always end up comparing it to Harry Potter.
Somethings are just popular. I had Naruto recommended to me by a friend who studies English. He says the same things as me. It's not Dickens, nor does it ever claim to be. Just something fun to pass the time.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Yep, for sure, Naruto is my favorite manga, and one of the best stories I've ever experienced.

Kishimoto is a true genius.

Are you serious?

No, I am not mocking you are anything, it's just that from my experience on most sites on the internet, it is very rare to find anyone who is more than mildly appreciative of the series as a whole. So your comments, with their extreme praise, caught me off guard.

You're putting too much stock into the small (but vocal) online minority that doesn't like Naruto.

But even then, calling Kishimoto a "true genius" is a little much. I mean, sure, Naruto is (or was, if you're unhappy about where it's ended up like me) a fun story with a lot of excitement, but it's still pretty typical shounen-fight-series fare. When I hear the word "genius" I think of storytellers like Urasawa Naoki or Osamu Tezuka, or artists like Takehiko Inoue and Hiroaki Samura.

In my opinion (since we're just comparing opinions here), he is a genius. He's perfected one form of shounen manga.

vashfanatic wrote:
Son-kun wrote:
The revelations of Kohona's past and the Uchiha clan have really made it all the worth while.

...except that he clearly just made that up out of nowhere. The whole retconning on Itachi was the first of many things in this that made me decide this story had lost its direction (if ever it had any).

Or you just never saw it coming.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Indeed, this is the part where the story begins to mature even more, and I loved it. By the time it'll hit the most recent manga arc, it's practically bordering FMA/Death Note level in terms of what a shonen series can get away with.

As for the claim that it was a "retcon" spoiler[to have Itachi be a good guy, please. The hints had always been there in the flashbacks ("I'm always going to be there for you, Sasuke, even if it's only as an obstacle in your way" HINT, HINT!), it explains the multiple occasions Itachi had failed to capture Naruto and once even deliberately left, Kishi did a great job tying it into previous events (why Itachi and Kisame showed up at Konoha when they did, what the Uchiha meetings in the flashbacks were truly about, why that side-image of Itachi in the beginning of the manga had not yet been seen in any flashbacks, etc.). People just cry foul when they don't like a twist, but it does work with what had happened before.]
corinthian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
mdgeist wrote:
This reads like a press release, not a review

Nah, press releases usually don't have so much summary. I think it reads more like an elementary school book report. But if Casey is a Naruto fan then it's what you'd expect. When a series has over 40 volumes you could argue the fan base is pretty solidified. You either love it or you don't, you either know the who's and what's or you don't. If somebody's not reading this far in they've either given up or were never interested to begin with.
MironBiron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
this is the beginning of the part of the manga that made me quit in disgust over some of the plot decisions Kishimoto made.

Wow, I actually think that this arc was the best part of the whole manga. It sucks that the manga is starting to get boring now Sad.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
As for the claim that it was a "retcon" spoiler[to have Itachi be a good guy, please. The hints had always been there in the flashbacks ("I'm always going to be there for you, Sasuke, even if it's only as an obstacle in your way" HINT, HINT!), it explains the multiple occasions Itachi had failed to capture Naruto and once even deliberately left, Kishi did a great job tying it into previous events (why Itachi and Kisame showed up at Konoha when they did, what the Uchiha meetings in the flashbacks were truly about, why that side-image of Itachi in the beginning of the manga had not yet been seen in any flashbacks, etc.). People just cry foul when they don't like a twist, but it does work with what had happened before.]

Yeah, and if her really did plant it head of time (which I don't believe any more than that CLAMP planned all this clone stuff ahead of time in Tsubasa), spoiler[then he decided to make a "heroic" figure out of someone who murdered his entire family (even under duress) and tortured the brother he (supposedly) loved so much twice - but it was for his own good! Right? Right? Yeah, a truly sympathetic character there, let me tell you. If I were Sasuke, I'd still hate his guts, I wouldn't do yet another heel turn.]

But none of this, of course, tops killing off my favorite characters, and then cutting away immediately to the World's Most Boring Training Arc with the toads.

Give me a few months and my loathing fr his series will wear off into indifference, but right now you have a bitter fan disappointed by a series that she once loved.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

But even then, calling Kishimoto a "true genius" is a little much. I mean, sure, Naruto is (or was, if you're unhappy about where it's ended up like me) a fun story with a lot of excitement, but it's still pretty typical shounen-fight-series fare. When I hear the word "genius" I think of storytellers like Urasawa Naoki or Osamu Tezuka, or artists like Takehiko Inoue and Hiroaki Samura.

Son-kun wrote:
The revelations of Kohona's past and the Uchiha clan have really made it all the worth while.

...except that he clearly just made that up out of nowhere. The whole retconning on Itachi was the first of many things in this that made me decide this story had lost its direction (if ever it had any).

Clearly out of no where? I don't think so. Fangirls have been latching onto all these little "hints" for years now that Itachi isn't as "evil" as we've been led on to believe. The childhood flashbacks of Itachi we got early on, outside of the massacre, were always rather loving. It didn't make SENSE, and we were obviously missing a giant piece of the puzzle. Itachi didn't just snap one day and decide to kill his whole clan for nothing and just leave his little brother alive. Kishimoto has throughout the series showed a rather good understanding of psychology, and to have a character just killing to kill would have made the character not on par with the rest of the series.

Shonen manga usually suffers from lack of depth to their villains. You have some big bad psychopathic bad guy the hero has to go up against, and all he (the villain) wants is to kill, or gather power of some kind. It's a shallow plot device used to death in fighting manga, but Kishimoto is brilliant because he gives humanity to a lot of his "villians" so much in fact that at times you don't even know if he's evil or not anymore. Garaa is a perfect example of this, and now Itachi has joined the ranks making him for a while one of the most complex characters in the series. Kishimoto gave humanity to the monster, and it only made the story even better. It doesn't justify his actions, but it explains them.

Naruto is really the only manga I'm left reading at the moment with the occasional one shot volume here and there, and I'm a huge reader, particularly in the fantasy genre. Naruto gives me everything I could want in a fantasy story, and more: Classic archetypes, twists, backstabbing, a slight touch of romance, and a large variety of characters, all great ingredients for a great story. Plus, again, it’s EPIC. Kishimoto has weaved a modern heroic tale in the vein of old mythology highlighting the best and worst of humanity.

But like I mentioned earlier, which is also the reason I think Naruto is so successful is Kishimoto’s use of psychology. He’s used it so well to give all his characters depth and character development that I sort of think of Naruto as shonen manga’s answer to Fruits Basket. He has developed an insanely huge cast, and yet has somehow managed to make each and every one of them so interesting to the point that I really don’t care when it veers off from Naruto or Sasuke, and that when one of the supporting side characters suddenly get a chapter that progresses that character’s development that suddenly I find myself so touched by what we’ve just learned that I have new favorite character. To say the characters are shallow shows that either you haven't been paying attention, or just haven't gotten to the chapters that focus on the character.

Yep, here’s another person not afraid to call Kishimoto a genius. The current story is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, and now is getting even more interesting with pulling philosophy into the limelight while also not pulling the punches on several characters. Naruto has had its low points,(I consider the Chuunin arc as the lowest point in the series), but Naruto in my opinion is currently in its prime at and I find myself eagerly awaiting the Thursdays/Fridays when the next chapter is released.

CLAMP's Tsubasa is one of their biggest piles of crap ever produced, and I'm as big of a CLAMP fan as you can get. That manga lost me long ago, and I continue to believe they came up with the idea while playing Kingdom Hearts high. Just my opinion of course, but story-wise Naruto is superior.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Son-kun wrote:

Clearly out of no where? I don't think so. Fangirls have been latching onto all these little "hints" for years now that Itachi isn't as "evil" as we've been led on to believe. The childhood flashbacks of Itachi we got early on, outside of the massacre, were always rather loving. It didn't make SENSE, and we were obviously missing a giant piece of the puzzle. Itachi didn't just snap one day and decide to kill his whole clan for nothing and just leave his little brother alive. Kishimoto has throughout the series showed a rather good understanding of psychology, and to have a character just killing to kill would have made the character not on par with the rest of the series.

Shonen manga usually suffers from lack of depth to their villains. You have some big bad psychopathic bad guy the hero has to go up against, and all he (the villain) wants is to kill, or gather power of some kind. It's a shallow plot device used to death in fighting manga, but Kishimoto is brilliant because he gives humanity to a lot of his "villians" so much in fact that at times you don't even know if he's evil or not anymore. Garaa is a perfect example of this, and now Itachi has joined the ranks making him for a while one of the most complex characters in the series. Kishimoto gave humanity to the monster, and it only made the story even better. It doesn't justify his actions, but it explains them.

Naruto is really the only manga I'm left reading at the moment with the occasional one shot volume here and there, and I'm a huge reader, particularly in the fantasy genre. Naruto gives me everything I could want in a fantasy story, and more: Classic archetypes, twists, backstabbing, a slight touch of romance, and a large variety of characters, all great ingredients for a great story. Plus, again, it’s EPIC. Kishimoto has weaved a modern heroic tale in the vein of old mythology highlighting the best and worst of humanity.

But like I mentioned earlier, which is also the reason I think Naruto is so successful is Kishimoto’s use of psychology. He’s used it so well to give all his characters depth and character development that I sort of think of Naruto as shonen manga’s answer to Fruits Basket. He has developed an insanely huge cast, and yet has somehow managed to make each and every one of them so interesting to the point that I really don’t care when it veers off from Naruto or Sasuke, and that when one of the supporting side characters suddenly get a chapter that progresses that character’s development that suddenly I find myself so touched by what we’ve just learned that I have new favorite character. To say the characters are shallow shows that either you haven't been paying attention, or just haven't gotten to the chapters that focus on the character.

Yep, here’s another person not afraid to call Kishimoto a genius. The current story is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, and now is getting even more interesting with pulling philosophy into the limelight while also not pulling the punches on several characters. Naruto has had its low points,(I consider the Chuunin arc as the lowest point in the series), but Naruto in my opinion is currently in its prime at and I find myself eagerly awaiting the Thursdays/Fridays when the next chapter is released.

CLAMP's Tsubasa is one of their biggest piles of crap ever produced, and I'm as big of a CLAMP fan as you can get. That manga lost me long ago, and I continue to believe they came up with the idea while playing Kingdom Hearts high. Just my opinion of course, but story-wise Naruto is superior.

well said
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Fine, take the Itachi thing as genius as you like... I was willing to forgive it even if it was stupid. I shouldn't have brought it up because it's not really what made me quit this series:

It's Naruto that's ruined Narutofor me. He's the worst character in the whole series, and the fact that right after spoiler[Kakashi, my favorite character, is KILLED] we just cut back to Naruto training with frogs (seriously?) so he can yet again power-up miraculously...like I said, I'm bitter. Once you've stopped liking the main character, there's no point in continuing a series.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

It's Naruto that's ruined Narutofor me. He's the worst character in the whole series, and the fact that right after spoiler[Kakashi, my favorite character, is KILLED] we just cut back to Naruto training with frogs (seriously?) so he can yet again power-up miraculously...like I said, I'm bitter. Once you've stopped liking the main character, there's no point in continuing a series.

I'm hoping this "power up" is the last one we're going to get, but it was necessary to get him to Jiraiya's level. He had to get to his sensei's level at some point, and this is a shonen series. But to each their own, I'm still loving Naruto, and he's really starting to mature... as much as Naruto can mature.

But on spoiler[Kakashi, it's not confirmed yet he's dead. It's insinuated, but I have my fingers crossed.]
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

I'm hoping this "power up" is the last one we're going to get, but it was necessary to get him to Jiraiya's level. He had to get to his sensei's level at some point, and this is a shonen series. But to each their own, I'm still loving Naruto, and he's really starting to mature... as much as Naruto can mature.

But on spoiler[Kakashi, it's not confirmed yet he's dead. It's insinuated, but I have my fingers crossed.]

My friends who've read further on in the manga online say that it's been confirmed.

And like I said, in a few months I will no longer hate this series, but right now, Ms. Brienza's blithe "well of course everyone likes this!" really gets on my nerves.

But hey, at least we all agree that Tsubasa is awful! I will never forgive that series for making me have to read it in order to read xxxHOLiC, which Tsubasa has been tearing down with it.
Axle911

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
huh, I figured a review where Naruto is called anything expect "shallow generic and boring", would get shit all over in the forums. O_o

Seriously just because something is popular in America and Shonen doesn't make it bad. Get over being pretentious all the time. It's no "Monster" but it's a solid fun ride
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is like an American soap opera. Just a little too angsty and melodramatic, which leads to taking itself too seriously. If it was like a Tele Novela and have a tongue in check attitude (like DragonBall, One Piece, Rave Master or Gintama) I would like the series. At least I have a volume of 20th Century Boys to read through.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

My friends who've read further on in the manga online say that it's been confirmed.

Well, they made a mistake. In fact, it was left deliberately vague in a summery before a fairly recent chapter, spoiler[which described some of the events leading up and during the whole Pain fight, and confirmed the death of one character, but listed Kakashi as "out of chakra" rather than dead or alive.]
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I love the series Naruto and I love most of the characters but when main characters die, even my favourites, I feel proud of a manga (especially if its shonen). Its weird but thats life for ya.

The sage training is boring as hell but it takes time and when it was finished I sort of felt proud of Naruto as a character because he hadn't just gotten angry and become automatically strong :]

well honestly I don't understand what Sasuke's thinking. His brother did what he was told to do, regardless of his family, he didn't have to do it but he did it anyway. I guess Sasuke's just turning on Konoha as a way to fill that empty hole in himself that was left after he killed Itachi.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5