• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hot Gimmick -VIZBIG Edition- GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll be another one of those who read it and both hated/loved it at the same time. I very nearly gave it up after the first volume, but decided to stick it out and ended up addicted to it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Ho ho, I'd highly doubt that one. We are talking about the same woman who did the manga Sensei no Okiniiri! about a high school teacher who gets raped by one of her students, and ends up falling in love with him.
Miki Aihara's manga set feminism way, way back. Her manga are sexist, and romanticize abusive relationships with guys who waste no opportunity to demean and belittle the girl they 'love'. They're trashy, pure and simple.
But the thing is, those are the exact reasons why her manga are so damned addicting.

Excellent point. Like I said, over-analyzing the written word is an occupational hazard of mine. Wink

That said, it is a stellar example of the good ol' Rape Fantasy made popular by "Little Red Riding Hood" all those years ago. And perhaps that's really what's so disturbing about it, and works like Sensei no Okiniiri! - we still get some sort of thrill out of reading it. There's a reason why Kathleen Woodweiss and Virginia Henley are still so popular in romance novel circles. I think there was an essay on this in the anthology Dangerous Men and Adventurous Women that Jayne Ann Krentz edited. I'll have to go look it up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I'm only "ok" with Hot Gimmick. It feels mostly like a hentai manga, but with all the sex scenes replaced with romantic overtones. The supporting cast is obnoxious as hell, and I really don't care what happens to them. And to be honest, I think Honey Hunt's a more enjoyable manga, since it deals with more "realistic" situations. Or at least scenarios which don't just seem like they were inserted into the main story, in order to confuse me about the respective motivations of the characters. But then I guess I'm just irritated when they "switch" every few seconds from "good" to "evil" and vice versa.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not ashamed to admit it, I absolutely adore Hot Gimmick. xD One of my favorite shoujo, really. Glad to see it getting some favorable attention for once! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
astromaxis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I'm not ashamed to admit it, I absolutely adore Hot Gimmick. xD One of my favorite shoujo, really. Glad to see it getting some favorable attention for once! Smile

Well it does get a lot of attention. Now, truthfully the series have great artwork and good plot schemes but overall

IT'S TRASH

So is "Teacher's Pet"

I'm not saying this out of feminism or whatever - but condoning rape/sexual abuse is SERIOUS.

Have anyone read "Bitter Virgin" - a boy talked about this on another site in regards to a contrast and I'm doing this for my term paper presentation tomorrow - You know rape, be the victim male or female is an act against basic human rights.

Hatsumi's passivity does not bother me but her pathological submissiveness is DISGUSTING.

At first I sympathized with her GREATLY. It must be hard to go through all those things. But feeling bad for Ryoki won't SOLVE ANYTHING.

Is she ashamed that if others know of her slave status then she will not be loved? If so then it is such a shame.

I hate this manga. It is stupid and horrendous. Even a 15 year old girl got disgusted reading it and wrote a blog entry on how outraged she was that abuse was being treated as a kink.

This is something as simple as rape fantasy with superficial threats - but this is mental torture. spoiler[Even the sex scence in the end became equivalent to mental and physical rape.]

Hot Gimmick had great points - I loved some of its plot twist but HATE IT TO THE CORE IN GENERAL.

My idea of the perfect ending (put it as spoiler for it contains original ending notes):

spoiler[Ryoki gets beaten up and killed by Shinogu who realized he committed marital rape thus ends his monk days. Hatsumi ends up in a mental hospital and is visited by Azusa. One day Hatsumi tells Azusa not to visit her anymore.

Hatsumi becomes uncontrollably violent and despondent. She gets angry easily and starts becoming misanthropic. In the end, Hatsumi admits that she loved Ryoki but realized that his idea of "loving" was not true.

She starts improving and eventually goes to Mrs. Tachibana and gives her a piece of her mind. She also SLAPS Akane for being stupid. She helps Shinogu get released.

Now either Hot Gimmick S pairing might happen or -

Hatsumi helps Shinogu but meets a troubled youth named ---- who begins to resemble Ryoki. At first she desires to kill him but ends up realizing his difference from Ryoki and that the resemblance was only due to familial problems of his own.

She avoids him at first. He tries to understand her ambivalence. In the end the boy confesses his admiration but Hatsumi responds with scorn only afterwards to break down crying in front of him. He holds her and they reconcile their distance.

She ends up with ---- and forgets Ryoki and only remembers him when she meets people with issues of abuse. She begins working as a counselor and her beau supports her and she him, despite their arguments, all the way.]

So, yes - might not be the ending you like but this is my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2