• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.11 BD & DVD Commercial Streamed in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The article is a bit inaccurate. Funimation is NOT releasing the 1.11 film, they have the rights to the original DVD release of 1.01

You make it sound like they'll be releasing the 1.11 remastered version and no one has said anything about that. (I sure hope they do, but I'm not holding my breath).

Funimation has told ANN that it is waiting for clarification from Japan on whether the U.S. release will include 1.01 or 1.11. So, cross your fingers.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
samuelp wrote:
The article is a bit inaccurate. Funimation is NOT releasing the 1.11 film, they have the rights to the original DVD release of 1.01

You make it sound like they'll be releasing the 1.11 remastered version and no one has said anything about that. (I sure hope they do, but I'm not holding my breath).

Funimation has told ANN that it is waiting for clarification from Japan on whether the U.S. release will include 1.01 or 1.11. So, cross your fingers.

That admission by itself is pretty sad but honesty is good. Did they even know about the remaster when they signed the contract?

It's logical to assume that they got the rights to 1.01 and not 1.11.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Pfffft. I'll bet there's some wiggle room in the contract with respect to new editions! If Funi did manage to get 1.11 and dub that, it would be awesome! They haven't released the dub cast for 1.01 yet, but they're morons if they don't get Spike Spencer and those chicks who played Rei and Misato. Now that Spike isn't dubbing Code Geass anymore since his character's dead, he might as well be in Texas matching lines to Shinji Ikari's mouth!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
You probably don't really need to buy the remastered DVD version. DVD blows and the picture quality is only gonna be but so good no matter what. I doubt the DVD release of the first film has picture quality that's poor when compared to other animated movies on DVD.

To me, this is all about the Blu-Ray. Thats the draw. Nobody with a Blu-Ray player should have purchased the DVDs anyways. You had to know that a Blu-Ray release was coming. When you see how much mediocre anime that somehow gets a BD release, you shoulda known that the big boy king of em all would definitely get it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
FUNi had this title for close to 5 months now so they should know which version they paid for. It was even shown at AFI Dallas twice.

So now it becomes an issue for the BD buyers. Are you really getting 1.11 or an upscaled 1.01?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, and it'd be nice if Funimation does not play coy with a Blu-ray release of the movie and just get it done. Get 1.11 and announce the Blu-ray release as soon as possible, most of us expect it to come eventually so those of us with PS3s or other Blu-ray players are not likely to double-dip on the DVD anyway, not for something so visual like these new Eva movies which is as likely as anything to come especially as Funi is doing a pretty good job with Blu-ray and relatively recent shows with Samurai 7/Shigurui which I've already bought and now the FMA movie. It's hard to believe something of this "size" and the production values of Eva won't see a Blu-ray release from Funi at some point.

This is one time I'm just going to wait since I'd rather see this in HD.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue May 19, 2009 4:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So now it becomes an issue for the BD buyers. Are you really getting 1.11 or an upscaled 1.01?
Assuming you're talking about a potential FuniBD release, then it depends on the master delivered to Funi. 1.01 HAS a HD master, as it got a cinema release. Whether Funi got that or the DVD (and thus SD) master is unknown. It's screened in English a few times, but those are almost certainly the same print as was used back at the Singapore Film Festival, so is unrelated to Funi (and was film stock anyway).
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope they get 1.11, but it doesn't really matter to me because I haven't even seen the movie yet. I've been waiting patiently for an English release.

Also, I WANT THAT PHONE Crying or Very sad
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey, now they both said the name of the movie would be 1.0, and didn't comment on whether or not there would be a "Special Edition". I'll wager that a special edition would be 1.11 in everything but name, and probably contain the bonus material either in subtitles only, or with voiceovers from the cast (whomever they are), in separate sessions from the rest of the movie. Also, we really don't know how long Funi had a heads-up about 1.11 before it was announced on ANN
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
1.01 and 1.11 are prob considered to be sep licenses.

If this does turn out to be the case, then this does set up the scenario that someone could outbid FUNi for 1.11.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
A 10 megapixel camera on a PHONE??? I gotta see if I can get my hands on one of those things. Not that it'd work in the States or anything...but at least I could take sweet pictures!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
A 10 megapixel camera on a PHONE [...] sweet pictures
You're not familiar with phone cameras, I take it?
CoolyChaN

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
I hope funimation will use the cast of the dubbed version from the series for the movie.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to sound like I'm being cynical here, but Blu-ray discs are not region encoded, so everyone who is wondering if FUNi will release it in the US could just import it. Problem is, the Japanese DVD release didn't have an English subtitle track (which was disappointing when I tried to show it to some friends), so the BD may not have one either. Either way, in all likelihood FUNimation will get their hands on the remastered version eventually -- and it might even be a better financial move to release it on DVD first and then on BD since not everyone has switched to the new format. I'm sure FUNi already realizes that though. Wink

And in closing... I must have that phone!! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
Blu-ray discs are not region encoded
Not true. America and Japan share BD region A, yes, but that's of little help to the rest of the world. Blah blah blah easy to bypass with a computer, same as with DVD regions, but much more inconvenient if you use a standalone player. Admittedly most discs are released region-free, but that's by no means a certainty.

Last edited by edzieba on Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3