• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Streams Sonic X Preview Clip with English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
So let me get this straight,4kids are gonna stream the japanese version of Sonic X Anime dazed.......I think heaven and hell have finnaly met it's match

now only if they could do this with Tokyo mew mew (an anime that actually deserves streaming with English subtitles with the original version)

Unfortunately, they can't. Since they lost the rights to Mew Mew almost 2 years ago, they're not even allowed to have the Mew Mew page in their website anymore. let alone sub it.

It seems to be in limbo at the moment. It'll most likely go in the way of Sailor Moon. The English dub never finished and it'll probably never get the dub it deserves. But you can't blame fans for hoping.
Starks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Cream's ears are backwards.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
People don't understand that there are different standards in American than Japan. Shows like One Piece and Sonic X had to be changed and better suited for children here in American than 16 year old fanboys that "WANT IT TO BE ORIGINAL"!

Get over it, they had to change things to make it suitable.

Uh, no, they didn't. FUNi's OP dub aired on TV with less edits and no legion of parents called in screaming and foaming at the mouth. Same with the Naruto TV dub.

If 4Kids wants licenses to air that are "child-friendly", they should go for shows that don't feature blood/death/innuendo/alcohol/etc. They have no sympathy from me in terms of editing their programs save for shows that didn't really suffer much from it like Pokemon.
Charlie_Conway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
To be honest, did Sonic X really need a good treatment? I mean it wasn't that great to begin with maybe mediocre at best. I just don't see why people begged for this to be subbed, and as a Sonic fan myself I didn't want it. Sonic X should be forgotten not revived at least imo.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
Wait, what? This is uncharacteristic of 4Kids. As far as I know, they have been pushing the bar of how much they could cut ever since they first became famous!

Pokemon - Original music intact, edited out a few scenes, changed the names, but it mostly is the same show, despite a few minor differences.

Yu-Gi-Oh - Changed music, character names, and cut out MANY scenes. However, due to their target audience, most of these cuts were relatively necessary.

One Piece - TOO MANY UNNECESSARY ALTERATIONS!!!

So now 4Kids is going backwards? Wow, what a shock!
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
Holy crap, they did something right for once.

Not quite. They dub versions of pokemon was decent enough actually.It's the only series 4kids got right.

It's only after that then they star getting doing hack jobs on par with FCC's rules and regulations and parent advocates stating that anime is too violent for children(thanks to the conterversy of series like Ninja Scroll,Kite,Mezzo Forte & Mad Bull) in the late 90's.

Sure it's only pokemon they did well and the rest were downright awful (especially shaman king and tokyo mew mew) but i dont bame the company in general. Blame the FCC for it's ediotic rules & regulations.

Either way if they're able to do their licensed series with subs and do it well,then maybe the anime body might forgive them.

Just maybe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Either way if they're able to do their licensed series with subs and do it well,then maybe the anime body might forgive them.

Just maybe
Don't bet the mortgage on it. Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
well there doing it now so i say go for it.and i'll take that bet and raise it ten fold.Also it's not 4kids fault for those hack jobs.They had to in order to aby with FCC's R&R otherwise face steep fines.

If they really comitted to releasing their licensed series with subs,then they should at least get the benefit of the doubt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote
It's just an act of desperation.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's just an act of desperation.

I really doubt that. The webmaster on YouTube has actually said that the higher ups at 4Kids are pretty skeptical of this uncut experiment (and I totally see why...there's not much profit that can come of it), but the guys at 4Kids who manage the YouTube page are fans of the original music and whatnot so they wanted to share it with the fans.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
Even so, I question the number of people who'd be truly appreciative of this gesture of theirs.
One fathoms the best-case scenario for 4kids is if they resultantly release 'uncut' boxsets in a manner akin to a notable Viz licence, catering to a new market somewhere between the elder echelons of 4kids' existing audience and the main anime fanbase. I see nothing but risks as far as this route is concerned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah I could never really get into Sonic X (It was the other characters, human characters, that kinda killed it for me.)

I'll think I'll try to get this series to fulfill my inner Sonic needs

http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=2735545&sid=36A1AFAFB11848E78121E46162CE6118

(Who says an American Saturday Morning cartoon can't be dark and have plot...)
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I actually found Sonic X to be very enjoyable, the original japanese version that is. Still, 4Kids posting this kinda stuff certainly is uncharacteristic of them..
ParonoiaAgent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Is this......an apology...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Sonic X get the subbed treatment, so I just hope they keep it up. Like it or not, 4Kids shows were the first exposure many had to anime, so we shouldn't be so rough on them. And their "edits" have a pretty good track record of getting on TV, even on animation blocks they don't control.

And as for One Piece, remember that a lot of the changes made to that were at the insistance of Toei. They were hoping to make it another DBZ here in the US. We all know how brilliant Toei is, and how they never make mistakes, right? (sarcasm)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3