• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kaze No Stigma DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
He's been banned, don't sweat it.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm a bit disappointed by the lackluster review, but I can see where Key's coming from. I really liked this show, but it definitely could have been better in a lot of ways. I found the writing to be decent, but it could have had a bit more depth to it. From what I've read of the light novels, it works a bit better in the novels, but I doubt that the difference would have been enough to substantially alter Key's rating had they been followed more closely (the main differences being the level of detail on some things and how dark some of it is - e.g. Kazuma kills more in the books). Funnily enough, unlike Key, I would have said that the artwork was rather poor on this one. Maybe it's on-par with recent Gonzo shows like Key says, but I don't think that I've seen all that many of them, and I found the artwork to be passable at best. It's probably my biggest complaint about the series. I thought that it deserved better artwork.

The two things that really stand out for me in this show, though, are Kazuma and Ayano's relationship with him. Kazuma is definitely the anti-hero, and I find it to be a breath of fresh air. He'll definitely save the day - but for a price. He's willing to help out, but the person who he's most willing to help out is himself. His cocky attitude can be quite fun too - particularly when he's talking with Ayano. I wouldn't want every main character to be an anti-hero, but it's so different from your run-of-the-mill hero, that it's quite refreshing. And while Ayano can certainly be annoying, her interactions with Kazuma are always entertaining. Kazuma knows exactly how to push her buttons.

I do have to agree that the fact that Kazuma is so strong is a bit of a problem and that the writing isn't always the best (though not necessarily as bad as Key thinks that it is), but they manage to make it work rather well over all. But I find that the characters and relationships are the strong point in the series.

Now, while I really like Kaze no Stigma and think that Key was a bit harsh with it, I do have to agree that Shakugan no Shana is better. The writing and story there are more solid and even-keeled, and the artwork for the anime is far better. I really liked this series, but it's not even enough to match up to series like Shakugan no Shana. The second half is arguably better though, so it'll be interesting to see how that gets reviewed. Still, I doubt that it's enough better for the rating to change substantially if Key reviews that as well. All in all, I thought that Kaze no Stigma was definitely good, but it certainly could have been better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2