• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Shuts Down, Parent Transfers Assets to Other Companies

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Thank god. They're finally putting this corpse in its casket. It's been pathetic for years.

It's a little sad that such a once-mighty licensor is put to rest, but honestly, it's no shocker whatsoever.

So long, ADV. Your titles were a mixed bag, your dubs were terrible, but your enthusiasm was strong.

ADV Dubs were pretty good:

AzuDaioh
Kanon
Air
Princess Tutu

Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to say, but this news didn't surprise me in the least. Anime cry;
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
At least half of my collection are ADV titles.

Thank you so much for Evangelion, Nerima Daikon Bros, Air TV, Noir, Utawarerumono, Nadesico, Hoshi no Koe, Peacemaker Kurogane, and many others.

Another big distributor is down.

Now that just leaves FUNi, Bandai, Nozomi/RightStuf, and Media Blasters =\
Polly E.

On both nostalgic and sorry for those involved in the collapse levels this one's a pretty big oof. So many VHS and DVD titles in my library are from them. Seeing their struggle for the past year or two has been pretty painful and I can only imagine how awful it must be for those that had to live through it.

Oof.
Myaow

Sob! ADV was always my favorite. It released two of my favorite series in the world, and almost released the third. This is sad news.

ADV IS DEAD, BUT IN MY HEART AND IN VARIOUS SMALLER COMPANIES IT LIVES ON [/pathetic]
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Although, ADV has basically just been reconstituted as Sentai.

All of "ADV's" new anime releases, including the upcoming Clannad After Story, have technically been produced by Sentai.

So outside of corporate reshuffling, I'm not sure this will actually lead to many real changes.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Forgive my total lack of business understanding, but from the way I'm reading it (which is probably wrong), ADV is dividing itself up into a bunch of smaller companies. Is that completely off-base? Could someone who's more savvy on this sort of thing explain what's going on?

And of course the most important question: what's going to happen to their licenses? (they just picked up some from CPM, after all)
britannicamoore

Wow. I figured it was going to happen but it sucks to see it did. ADV has been dead on its feet for awhile now. I'm just glad that the ref finally hit ten on the down count.

Funimation is just too hot to handle now. It's pretty much the whole anime market besides Bandai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
firedragon54738

Sigh there goes anther one and one of the good ones to i wounder how long before anther one goes under
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly sad that ADV as a company is going away, however I think that it would be interesting to trace the money trails on AEsir, Valkyrie, SXION23, and Seraphim Studios.

There's a solid chance that this is more of a reorganization than anything else, much like Geneon's restructuring. While it's sad to lose the ADV name on some levels, it doesn't appear that stalwart titles like Evangelion and Azumanga Daioh are going to be leaving shelves anytime soon.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Thank god. They're finally putting this corpse in its casket. It's been pathetic for years.

It's a little sad that such a once-mighty licensor is put to rest, but honestly, it's no shocker whatsoever.

So long, ADV. Your titles were a mixed bag, your dubs were terrible, but your enthusiasm was strong.

ADV Dubs were pretty good:

AzuDaioh
Kanon
Air
Princess Tutu

Azumanga Daioh is the only of those I've heard. It was barely tolerable.

Bad ADV dubs:

- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Blue Seed
- Bubblegum Crisis 2040
- Fist of the North Star
- Getbackers
- Elfen Lied
- Dai-Guard
- RahXephon
- Comic Party
- etc

Good ADV dubs:

- Excel Saga

Annnnd that's about it.

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hussar67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
At least half of my collection are ADV titles.

Thank you so much for Evangelion, Nerima Daikon Bros, Air TV, Noir, Utawarerumono, Nadesico, Hoshi no Koe, Peacemaker Kurogane, and many others.

Another big distributor is down.

Now that just leaves FUNi, Bandai, Nozomi/RightStuf, and Media Blasters =\

A good way to say goodbye: a simple expression of thanks. ADV was the garage band that made it big. It's rare to find a company that has real personality and quirks and has the "by fans, for fans" mindset. This hits me tons harder than Geneon or Central Park Media. It's silly to say so, but I got the sense of being part of a community with ADV from their DVD commentaries, reading interviews with their producers and actors, reading NewtypeUSA, and being able to personally meet so many ADVers at conventions.

Thank you ADV, for everything. I will miss you and value your products that I own even more now.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
WHAT THE HELL MAN? WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN?

Now who's gonna sell me CPM's former shows? What about the rest of ADV's catalog? How am I supposed to snatch up Sister Princess, Rune Soldier, Gantz, Madlax, Getbackers, Macross, Evangelion, the Slayers OVAs, and everything else that they had?

WHY DID ADV HAVE TO DIE? THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Forgive my total lack of business understanding, but from the way I'm reading it (which is probably wrong), ADV is dividing itself up into a bunch of smaller companies. Is that completely off-base? Could someone who's more savvy on this sort of thing explain what's going on?

You basically nailed it.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:
It's certainly sad that ADV as a company is going away, however I think that it would be interesting to trace the money trails on AEsir, Valkyrie, SXION23, and Seraphim Studios.

This should give you a start:
http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/Index.html

Also check Sentai while you are at it. Wink
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Am I one of the few people reading this thread that realizes that nothing much has changed but the name on the companies? Basically they owners of ADV sold their single company to several other companies owned by them (i.e. they sold ADV to themselves). It's a big shell game that business sometimes do. While I'm saddened to hear that ADV Films as a name is no more I'm fairly sure that everyone who was left at this point at ADV has a good chance, if not already moving over too, being employed by the new companies created (and ADV had been re-releasing much of their back catalog under the Sentai Works company title all year, for those who hadn't noticed).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17