• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Annual Seiyū Awards' Voting Begins in 2 Languages

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to vote for Yū Kobayashi (just for the fact I loved her in Higurashi and now in Umineko, plus SZS can't forget that. Also her stuff in the new Negima OVAs )

her or Ryōko Shiraishi (Hayate in HnG! Arashi in Natsu no Arashi!)

I mean both of them have done some good work this year and last year. So this is going to be hard for me to decide if I do end up voting
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Momoyuki wrote:
There are so many new, inexperienced seiyuu being used in anime now...

To be fair, a seiyuu has to be cast in order to gain experience. Everyone starts somewhere.

I am surprised and quite happy to see the variety of votes. Just uh, remember that voting is for 2008. Here's a list of 2008 anime.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this will be like the Emmys and Oscars, in which both the name and the role matter. I mean, if 500 people vote for Romi Paku as Ed Elric, and 500 people vote for her as Hitsugaya, but 700 people vote for Shinichiro MIKI as Mustang, would that mean he'd win, as the other votes were split between two different roles?

Also, I assume that only projects that aired over this past year would count, right?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
Being a seiyuu is the same thing as being a new dub voice actor. You start with small roles until enough reception and experience is gained to go for the big roles. Sometimes new seiyuu/dub voice actors will do a few roles and decide it's just not their thing.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Momoyuki wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I have to be honest, I haven't watched a lot of the newer anime. I voted for Romi Paku, for her continuing to be an excellent voice for Edward Elric. In Brotherhood, especially, she's been really intense. She's become a favorite voice talent of mine.

Same here. I think she really deserves it, so I voted for her.

There are so many new, inexperienced seiyuu being used in anime now...

Didn't she also do Taiga in Toradora? That deserves a mention in and of itself.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I wonder if this will be like the Emmys and Oscars, in which both the name and the role matter.

Also, I assume that only projects that aired over this past year would count, right?

No, they go by the number of votes for the seiyuu themselves. When they announce winners, they always mention a few roles that the seiyuu has done, not just one.

There is speculation that the results are rigged. *shrug* Who knows.

I wish there were a DVD for the 3rd Annual Seiyuu Awards. They had one for the 2nd.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
It is nice that they allow anyone except Japanese to vote because they are only region locking (CrunchyRoll, anyone?) one area. Thus, they are allowing votes from foreign fans. The ones that are bound to get the most votes would most likely be either a stellar performance from a newcomer or great performances by veterans.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
It is nice that they allow anyone except Japanese to vote because they are only region locking (CrunchyRoll, anyone?) one area. Thus, they are allowing votes from foreign fans. The ones that are bound to get the most votes would most likely be either a stellar performance from a newcomer or great performances by veterans.

I don't think it makes too huge a difference. The U.S. isn't the only foreign country, ie. the Overseas Award isn't limited to the U.S. The page is just in English because English is used more around the world. I think countries like China and Korea may tip the scales more because seiyuu are much more popular over there than say, in the U.S. I don't believe CrunchyRoll is available in those countries.
Netstryke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
I took every inch of my being to resist K-ON! but I voted for

Yui Horie as Minori Kushieda in Toradora
and
Daisuke Sakaguchi as Shimura Shinpachi in Gintama
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2, that thing about CR is a reason I hate them because I feel sorry for other otaku in those countries that can't access them.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
FYI, for the Overseas award, you can only vote for ONE person. Not one male and one female. ONE person.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
IMO, Kamiya Hiroshi has a great chance once again, for his awesome job on Zetsubou Sensei, and also a completely different character in Natsume's BoF in 2008, and then next year for Aryaryagi in BMG as well.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
GokuMew2, that thing about CR is a reason I hate them because I feel sorry for other otaku in those countries that can't access them.

(Sorry, missed your reply.)

Yeah..... But I can't say I don't understand why they do what they do.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Kana Hanazawa. She's pretty new and I believe her first major role was in Mushi-Uta, but she's consistently nailed every single role she's had since then. She has a soft, gentle, and soothing voice that's really cute but never annoying like many other seiyuu sometimes. Most recently she's playing the title character of Kobato and Suou in Darker than Black 2, and doing a great job on both of them. She's still relatively unknown though, since a lot of people I know really enjoyed Kobato's voice and asked me who it was, and had no clue even when I told them. Anyway, I think she's really great, and I hope she continues to be in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2