• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bakemonogatari, xxxHOLiC Episodes' Releases Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
delayed again?

I was looking forword to the Bakemonogatari episode all today, but I can wait, I have the new episode of Natsu no Arashi to keep me busy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
[dtm42 is unavailable right now due to being hospitalised because of an overdose on prescription medication. His doppelganger, DTM42, will take over for the meanwhile. Warning, he's quite the professor. Or at least he thinks he is . . . ]

I didn't quite bang my head on the desk, but man is this annoying news. I readily agree with Blood-, in that if SHAFT had said from the outset that the episode would be ready on the fifth (for example) then fans wouldn't be getting so upset. They wouldn't feel betrayed.

Everyone knows that failing to meet an ambitious deadline is often considered to be a Bad Look, whereas as succeeding in meeting a very unambitious deadline still makes for good PR. The analogy is especially true in wallstreet (except with deadlines being replaced by profit expectations). If company A says they'll "make" a $20m loss, and only loses $5m, their share price will go likely go up. But if Company B says they'll make $20m profit, and only make $5m profit, their share price will likely go down.

But I am digressing.

So, back to topic. SHAFT should have realised that they have a history about being a little slow, and simply said to fans "probably mid-November for episode thirteen". So when the episode comes early-ish November, almost all the fans are super happy and believe SHAFT made a special effort just to please them (the fans).

It is sad that even though I know of the way fans get upset over the slightest delay, I still cannot help it. I too am a fan, a big one. I too was promised a late October release of episode thirteen. And though I know SHAFT isn't doing it just to spite me (unlike Kyoto Animation and that debacle), part of me cannot help but feel betrayed.

May the Force be with SHAFT, and assist them in getting the episode out quickly, while suffering no loss in quality of course. Otherwise, the force will be against SHAFT, that is specifically the kinetic force of several pitchforks.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
so any one know if it's region locked cause I'm on the site now and the video isn't working for me
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It's not like it's not working... it's just tremendously slow. I'm currently randomly clicking on every link to see if I get the right thing...
Yeah, if I got the right thing, there was a message in the middle of the screen which probably says something about my region(UK) being blocked. But of course, they can hardly handle the Japanese income, let's not even talk about foreign...
Don't really care, my want to watch list is so massive I wouldn't bother watching the episodes so fast.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Hm well we will get a copy of the episode tomorrow or later

Some one in Japan's bound to record the episode and post it online
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Tsubasa Chronicle and xxxholic didn't do to well here both manga and anime so far and thus it's probably low on the priority list.

You know, no one knows the numbers for the anime. But the manga is doing well. Vol. 22 of Tsubasa stayed on the NYT top ten bestsellers list for four weeks. Vol. 21 stayed for two. The last volume of xxxHOLiC made the top ten list as well. Say what you will, but considering the hundreds of other manga that are out there right now I don't think you can say that those series aren't doing well. Just making the list pretty much means that companies are seeing solid and profitable performances from those titles. Think about it. When you have Naruto, Naruto, Naruto, Naruto, xxxHOLiC, it means even when xxxHOLiC doesn't make the list it is still selling well. Or at the very least is seeing numbers that anybody but Viz would kill for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The xxxHolic and Tsubasa anime did quite well in the US as far as I'm aware. Awhile back a Funi rep said that both did quite well. This is further evidenced by the fact that Tsubasa season 1 will be coming out on Blu-ray in about a week or two. Funimation would not bother doing a Blu-ray for a series that did not do well. So seeing as Tsubasa is getting a Blu-ray release means it had to of done quite well in it's original releases.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
As to eliminating release announcements, that would probably be a bad idea. Having run major software dev projects, which are in fact quite analogous to entertainment in technical terms, I know that projects tend to go on forever without deadlines. Just imagine what it would be like if TV shows didn't have regular schedules, and you only saw a new episode when it "got finished".

And believe me the surest, if not the only, way to make a deadline real to project participants is to announce it publicly.

Aside from that, I'm so happy it got done!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
YAAAAAAAAAY!!
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
So it got delayed... get over it. The fact that the producers were releasing it to the web allowed them more flex than to a TV schedule. Plus the fact people are getting three extra episodes beyond the slated 12 on TV should put a smile on your face.

Bakemongatari is by far my favorite anime in many years and the Bonus of getting more episodes is fantastic. They are delayed? It happens. Leechers have to have something to gripe about.

~td99

Last edited by tripperdan99 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
tripperdan99 wrote:
Leechers have to have something to gripe about.

~td99

You are a leecher too you know. In the future you might want to avoid disparaging the same group that you yourself belong to.

And in case you are wondering at just how you are a leecher, well you must have used some sort of streaming or downloading to watch Bakemonogatari in the first place, same as the rest of us. Unless of course you watched it on television in Japan?

What I'm trying to say is that in all likelihood most (if not all) of us here are "leechers" by your definition. You might want to come up with a better insult, neh?
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
tripperdan99 wrote:
Leechers have to have something to gripe about.

~td99

You are a leecher too you know. In the future you might want to avoid disparaging the same group that you yourself belong to.

And in case you are wondering at just how you are a leecher, well you must have used some sort of streaming or downloading to watch Bakemonogatari in the first place, same as the rest of us. Unless of course you watched it on television in Japan?

What I'm trying to say is that in all likelihood most (if not all) of us here are "leechers" by your definition. You might want to come up with a better insult, neh?

True true, I am. But I'm a very happy one. And I try not to bitch too much. And I try to purchase as many items that my budget allows as they come on the market. So I'm a broke leecher!

The production got delayed... it's not like people are waiting for a heart transplant. I'm excited that we got the Bonus of more episodes.

I think pparker said it best:
pparker wrote:
As to eliminating release announcements, that would probably be a bad idea. Having run major software dev projects, which are in fact quite analogous to entertainment in technical terms, I know that projects tend to go on forever without deadlines. Just imagine what it would be like if TV shows didn't have regular schedules, and you only saw a new episode when it "got finished".

And believe me the surest, if not the only, way to make a deadline real to project participants is to announce it publicly.

Aside from that, I'm so happy it got done!
Manwards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
It was only delayed by a few hours! Hardly anything to complain about. Besides, it's not like we're paying customers. As for the episode, I just finished watching it now. Another "conversation in the playground" episode, for the most part, but it's gotten the story back on track. Next one should be excellent. Glad to see the budget doesn't seem to have suffered as much as I'd feared. Shame the video resolution isn't higher, but that's to be expected of a free webcast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2