• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What got you hooked into anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
Televised Anime: Robotech and Voltron ---> Dragon Warrior ---> Sailor Moon ---> Dragon Ball Z

Also, anime-influenced video games on the Turbo Duo. And Street Fighter 2 being cooler than Mortal Kombat with my peers.
EmmanuelZorg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome too, i got hooked into Sailor Moon and DBZ when i was in high school.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The First Anime I ever saw while knowing am watching Anime was Naruto Shippuden back when it first aired that instantly got me hooked, Anyway backtrack a decade before that mayb even 15 years before that i was hooked on The Mysetrious City of Gold, Voltron, Transformers, Thunderbirds and Speed racer.

So to be honest I've been a fan for quite a while then there was the Pokemon and Digimon era. But yeah Naruto is what got me into knowing anime and its subculture and boy what a great world is Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
How many times have we seen this thread in its many forms? Oh well. For me the title that got me hooked, as in a true fan and anime as a hobby as opposed to casual viewing, was the Oh My Goddess manga and OVA's. My friend, who shares me name, introduced me into anime and showed me there were many titles I had been watching, like Voltron, Starblazers, and other old shows, that were actually anime. My first real knowledgeable experience with anime, knowing it was anime, was Cartoon Networks anime invasion late night movie run. They showed Vampire Hunter D for example and those movies got me into it. I watched shows like Project A-Ko and Patlabor and became really interested and then my friend showed me his collection and I was amazed and had the claws sunk in. Then i came across Oh My Goddess and there was no turning back. The depth in the shows compared to many US cartoons blew me away. I found the characters far more entertaining, deep, and simply lot more character development. Plus add the visceral visuals and more adult themes that came with a lot of 80's anime (which my friend showed me) and to me it was a new world opening up. All these years later here I am. My wallet though has never recovered lol. Though I suppose thanks to anime/manga and figures and being broke I never had the money to get into drugs lol. So thank you anime for keeping me drug free.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm like most people . . .

I used to watch Sailor Moon back when it came on early in the mornings back when I was in middle school (maybe 1998?). Then, some of my friends were playing the pokemon TCG and on Gameboy so I started getting into the Pokemon anime before starting the games. I mainly just wanted to know what they were talking about. After that, I guess Final Fantasy VIII and X got me thinking about pursuing a career in animation. So, I did some research and started wanting to watch Japanese shows because I enjoyed the CGI in the newer FF Titles (this was around 2000 I guess).

So, I started watching Kids WB in the afternoons during summer vacation. Back then, I watched a little of Yu-gi Oh!, Pokemon, Dragonball, and avoided Digimon at all costs. I started watching Cardcaptors (yes, the edited POS) on WB and didn't care for it (mainly because of the stupid opening theme song and the terrible voice acting). So, on a band trip, I was sitting next to someone who recommended that I watch the REAL Card Captor Sakura after I said that what I saw on TV was horrible. He started going off on how they crammed it into a 26-epper and destroyed the plot/love themes, etc. So, after the trip had ended, he invited me over to watch some episodes and the second movie and some AMVs. I was hooked. I couldn't get enough of it. Anime smile That's about the time I discovered Adult Swim's line-up of Outlaw Star, Candidate for Goddess, and Cowboy Bebop. Candidate for Goddess was by far my favorite back then for a while. I was pretty mad when InuYasha took it's spot.

After that, I graduated high school in 2003 and started finding as much as I could: Fruits Basket, Full Metal Panic!, FLCL, Gundam Wing, Ah! Megami-sama, Ceres, etc..

The guy who introduced me to all of this, btw, is the current boyfriend. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
EmmanuelZorg wrote:
"Akira"

Damn it! I knew there was a title I was forgetting to add in my order!!!
Evil or Very Mad

What got me hooked into anime comes down to style. There was just something very unique to the design of anime which American cartoons lacked.

It's absolutely amazing what kneecaps and elbows really look like in animation. Granted, much of today's anime has lost its original design and is now cookie-cutter copies, I still can't help love the styles of old.

What really set it off were the eyes. What stuns me completely about this is I've yet to see any two sets of eyes be identical to those of other anime characters. While many do have "big eyes", they're all different! Astonishing.

I really am hoping the anime of old gets re-released quickly so that many of you can experience it for yourself. There really was a time when anime set itself above all else in the world of animation.

Even Disney couldn't touch it with its classics.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
While many do have "big eyes", they're all different! Astonishing.

It seems to me that eyes on characters designed by the same artist look alike.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Even Disney couldn't touch it with its classics.

I vaguely recall reading something about how Tezuka's original big eye designs were inspired by Disney's big eyed characters. Just sayin'... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
I vaguely recall reading something about how Tezuka's original big eye designs were inspired by Disney's big eyed characters. Just sayin'... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Indeed, Tezuka's style was dirrectly inspired by the bright eyed characters of Disney. And with Tezuka being the 'Father of manga/anime'. I guess you could say Walt Disney is the great grand daddy.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
My first was Captain Harlock, Mazinger Z, and Voltron when I was little. Didn't know they were Japanese for a long, long time, though. Not until I saw Vampire Hunter D playing as part of a marathon on some Turner station. I believe it was around then that the modern wave of anime hit with Ronin Warriors when I was a Senior in high school and Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, and Technoman hitting the following year.

I can't really say it was any ONE show that really got me hooked... But I've loved science fiction since I was little and I really loved the way anime rendered futuristic worlds and starships and robots and things so that made me want to see more of it. Also, the casual nudity wasn't exactly a deterrant either! Anime hyper

And it was also right around there that I started to notice the emerging anime video market and soon started buying it, practically one tape a week. Anime hyper

Of course, back then, everything was new and I couldn't wait to experience it all. Now... Meh. Everything's too Moe now... Anime cry
qollocust

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
I started watching Pokemon and Digimon when they first aired like pretty much everyone else who posted haha. Still I would say Gundam Wing was the series that really got me hooked on the whole anime thing. I think probably because it was a lot more serious than anything like Pokemon.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
It seems to me that eyes on characters designed by the same artist look alike.

True, no mistaking they look alike, but they are different.

Quote:

I read the same thing, actually. But inspiration doesn't mean copying. Noticed he said only the eye designs? That's because the rest wasn't worthy of an inspiration.
Razz
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Japanese history >>> Language >>> Friends in the course all watch anime >>> "Evangelion? Ghost in the Shell? Sounds interesting..." >>> addiction.
Simple, yet fascinating - how one gets drawn into different worlds like this.
I should mention that I saw a couple of series of DragonBall Z on TV as a 10-year-old kid, and they disgusted me to no end (like all the cartoons on TV). No casual roots.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
For me it was initially an attraction to Animation in general. I started off with things like Transformers and He - Man. And yes I am old enough to have run around my house with a sword screaming I have the power!! and no you may not see the pictures my parents took .. Damn them.

After that I remember watching a few anime shows that I can't remember the names of one was a weird mecha anime where the hero was in a red glider that kind of slotted into the head of its robot. The robot looked alot like the one from Mazinger Z however im sure it wasn't that show. Another was in some kind of post apocalyptic semi mystical setting. It was some kind of colony on an Alien world or something I just remember this scene with rows and rows of white cocooned people. That was the first animated scene ever to really give me the willies.

After that I got into my teens and started watching stuff like Akira and Fist of the North star. And from there it was all downhill.

But looking back I can honestly say that the show that gave me a taste for Anime was the almighty Anime influenced show .. Transformers. I was crazy into them robots in disguise.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RHachicho"And yes I am old enough to have run around my house with a sword screaming I have the power!! [/quote]

So, you had one of those swords too? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shawn Shaolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I've always had a fascination with fantasy. I've always daydreamed in school, I love to write stories and draw characters. That's who I am. What made me into an "otaku'' is Cowboy Bebop. I first saw it when I was 15 and nothing I've ever seen brought out so much emotion in me. That show changed my life. It really did. I thought to myself, if there is anime out the that could make me feel this way I will watch anime forever. That was 7 years ago, and I'm still watching anime. I really love this genre of film and it will remain a big part of my life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6