• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Ru-ins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
For all their Fan Service "sins" in To Love Ru, objectifying Mikan like the other girls is not one of them. There are a couple highly misty still bath shots with Lala and a maybe a couple modest shots of her in a modest swimsuit but it really isn't anything to get excited about. She never has her clothes ripped off or disintegrated, she is not included in later episodes to water park or the underground hot springs. Even in the more explicit OVA episodes she is not sexualized, she wanders a little into moe territory but even in her barest moments she's depicted more as cute and innocent than an object of desire. I like how Theron puts it in his review: "Rito's sister Mikan has that 'I'm going to be a knock-out when I'm a few years older' kind of appeal to her."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
If you looking for another game-based anime, you might want to check out the show about my little, mute, donut-eating friend over to the left there - Shion no Ou. The murder mystery was a bit silly, but the Shougi games and Shion herself made it all worthwhile.

Oh man, murder mystery shougi anime/manga?! That's perfect for my "Strange Manga Genres" panel! Thanks!

Spastic Minnow wrote:
Mikan...never has her clothes ripped off or disintegrated...

That is saying a lot, because clothes are ripped off of every girl in the high school in that show... someone's clothes disintegrate at least once per episode.
jamesleung

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

I ended up learning the rules of Go from someone else after the fact as well. I'll probably learn mahjong eventually too.

Ah, but will you learn Chinese mahjong or Jewish mahjong? Wink

Actually there are several types of mahjong including Hong Kong/Cantonese Mahjong (the most common) and Japanese Standard Mahjong (as portrayed in Saki).
sokpupet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I have that exact shame small brown shelf. It was the first one I got to keep my manga volumes in. It didn't hold them for long though.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I would also have to recommned Shion no Ou as well. Think of Saki without the yuri overtones (was too blatant to call them undertones no?) and change the game to shougi. There aren't over the top battle sequences like in Saki, but to be honest those aren't really needed to portray a good story.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love sports anime, so I was disappointed after the first episode, as the show explores the yuri relationships between the girls rather than dwelling on the game.

I watched the first episode like that, and was distinctly told that I was "watching the anime the wrong way"... And this was after only the first episode aired! So I decided that if people were going to just go insane about the yuri and not even want to talk about the games themselves then I won't even bother watching it.

I have to admit, Saki still isn't interesting me even from a mahjong aspect, so I'll probably just skip it... Just the fact that this show will probably get licensed before Akagi, just because it's a Gonzo show and has cute girls, kind of makes me want to watch it even less.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
"To Love'Ru should have been dubbed........ I would have got that in a second..... " Ditto-I've watched all of the episodes and really enjoyed the series. "Mikan...never has her clothes ripped off or disintegrated..."-have you seen the 4th To LoveRU ova?
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
After reading this Shelf Life I'm actually more interested in checking out Saki, been hearing quite a bit of buzz on it for months now, but never had the time to actually watch.

zrdb wrote:
"To Love'Ru should have been dubbed........ I would have got that in a second..... " Ditto-I've watched all of the episodes and really enjoyed the series. "Mikan...never has her clothes ripped off or disintegrated..."-have you seen the 4th To LoveRU ova?

Somehow, I doubt it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't mind sexuality and fanservice as long as it's blatant. That point is probably worthy of a longer discussion, probably in some article written outside the confines of Shelf Life.

It feels like it's been forever since there's been a new Chicks on Anime . . . :3

I must be that special kind of prude that is turned off by nudity more often than not.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
I don't mind sexuality and fanservice as long as it's blatant. That point is probably worthy of a longer discussion, probably in some article written outside the confines of Shelf Life.

It feels like it's been forever since there's been a new Chicks on Anime . . . :3

That's because it lost one of its members, I believe... I don't think it ever fully recovered from the "It's not rape rape" discussion.

Quote:
I must be that special kind of prude that is turned off by nudity more often than not.

Well, it has to be done right, you know? Nudity in and of itself isn't necessarily an instant turn on, as the Sistine Chapel would attest. There's got to be camera angles and a sexy set-up and maybe some Barry White...

...I'm saying too much, aren't I? Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Chicks on Anime has actually been cancelled; Bamboo felt the column had pretty much run its course.

We will in the future be inviting Bamboo, Sara and other guests on ANNCast for special COA "branded" podcasts.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Interesting collection, though I am a little confused by what is going on between Galaxy Express and Gunslinger Girl. Is this just a house-ruling of the title/translation, or an after-effect of having to re-shelve everything?
billborden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
"Let me re-iterate here that a “Rental Shelf” rating is an “OK”. It's not a pan. If you got a B on a test, did you fail? No! (Unless you're some kind of perfectionist freak.) "Shelf Worthy" titles are worth owning, and rental titles are probably worth watching. "

The problem isn't that it's a "bad" rating, it's just that it's useless. If 95% of the reviews are "eahh Neutral ", eventually, it doesn't mean anything. It's safe, but not useful in any practical sense.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
. "Mikan...never has her clothes ripped off or disintegrated..."-have you seen the 4th To LoveRU ova?

whoops, missed that one. I marathoned the series and Ovas and wasn't too impressed with that episode and generally desensitized at that point so I guess I missed it. Still have it so I rechecked it and yes, for a couple frames hers and everyone else's clothes have disintegrated, plus she was featured in the group shower stills. Between her featured episode, the all-girls beach bikini show and the 4th Ova I have to admit, she is part of the service, still completely overshadowed by the other's blatant service, but "present." I guess once the girl in an anime can wear a bra they want to take them off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
no mention of Mikan being 12 in To-LOVE Ru and having some rather indecent fanservice? Guess I'm baffled once again

Shhhhh. We strategically positioned Strike Witches to distract all lolicon debate so other shows can slip past the radar. Don't go blowing it now.

Lol! To Love-Ru? Safe!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4