• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On! Wins DVD of the Year, Gold Disc of the Year Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I strongly suspect that K-On! has already been licensed by Bandai Entertainment, but they're holding off announcing it for a while, probably because of a moratorium period against releasing it on BluRay outside of Japan (at least if they're not going to release it English-dub only) and also probably because it'll be a more complicated show to dub, at least if they dub the concert songs.

I think the biggest clue that the K-On! anime will be getting an autumn 2010 release in North America is that Yen Press announced last month that they've licensed the manga but won't release the first volume until November, which would seem to indicate to me that they have some inside information about the release schedule for the anime. All idle speculation on my part, of course.

Personally, K-On! was my favourite anime series of 2009 and was my favourite anime series made since the first season of Minami-ke in the autumn of 2007, but I like slice-of-life comedies about schoolgirls where nothing big ever happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
gorespammer wrote:
Bakemonogatari is obviously superior
it's the greatest anime ever made.

Pony Canyon and KyoAni must pay a lot of money to the judge to steal this award from Bakemonogatari.

Right. Rolling Eyes
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:32 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
egoist wrote:
This is DVD not BD. I'm quite sure K-ON! did better in terms of DVD sales.

That's because everyone wanted the Blu-Ray limited edition. SHAFT works = BD must have.

@sailorsean: Combined BD and DVD sales, Bakemonogatari trumps K-ON! by about 30,000 if I remember correctly per volume. However, like egoist said, this is dvd only, which I'm kinda surprised didn't go to Eden of the East....then again...it's KyoAni.

Quote:
Now, if we could just get a K-On release here in the US...

Given the US market for moe blob stuff, I doubt it would sell. Plus stuff with music often makes it even harder minus Nodame Cantabile since it's traditional classical music.

What market?

Jarmel wrote:
So is this award for quality or number sold? It seems Bakemono would win due to the pure amount of effort put into each of the releases with all the edits and changes.

Pretty sure it's the money making award.

Anyway just keep letting the moe shows fight it out amongst themselves and I'll keep up with the good old fashioned storytelling and character development driven shows that slip through the cracks. Just like Classic Rock they are still making them....it's just feels like it's underground.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2