• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-04-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I've only been to one con thus far, but I've got three more lined up for this year. My first con was Ayacon 2009 - just a little while after my 24th Birthday. I didn't feel out of place at all, but then Aya was an +18 only event.

I am currently registered for Amecon, Nemacon and Auchinawa. Ame is another +18 only event, but Auchi is +16 and Nema is +14 (I am taking my younger brother to this). I could potentially see myself feeling old at Nema but I think Ame will be like Aya.

How common is a lower age restriction at conventions in the US? Most UK cons have them because of legal and insurance issues (as people who work in an environment with under 18s have to be Criminal Rights Bureau enhanced checked which can be pricey when every dealer, gopher and committee member needs to have it - so it's cheaper to simply limit the con to over 18s only, plus you don't need to police the hentai screenings as much).
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
One of the better FotWs I've read lately.

lostinagoodbook wrote:
That video is the thing nightmares are made of. Shocked

As a woman, I'd love to take the mask off her face and slap some sense back into that stupid girl for humiliating herself like that .. but they'd just keep the camera rolling and call it catfight fan service right? Some days you just can't win.

Are you sure that kigurumi was actually a girl?
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not into the idea of having manga delivered electronically, or any books for that matter. Besides, books are available as books and e-books, it's not like all books must be electronic. It's just not the same as holding a book in your hand. Plus, the Kindle and the Nook are more for people who travel a lot and either don't have time to sit and read a book, because they're always on the go, or because they travel a lot, they can't bring as many books. I mean with the airport security nowadays, one can only bring so much luggage, a person would not be able to pack so many books. So the Kindle or Nook comes in handy for the constant traveler. Other than that, I see no reason why manga or any kind of books should be electronic only.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
That video. It's...I'd be pretty disturbed if I saw that thing walking around at an anime con, much less bowling in public!

GracieLizzy wrote:

How common is a lower age restriction at conventions in the US? Most UK cons have them because of legal and insurance issues (as people who work in an environment with under 18s have to be Criminal Rights Bureau enhanced checked which can be pricey when every dealer, gopher and committee member needs to have it - so it's cheaper to simply limit the con to over 18s only, plus you don't need to police the hentai screenings as much).

I have not heard of too much age restriction in my area, though the closest con is pretty small (though getting larger; this year it has expanded to a two-day convention). There isn't an age restriction for earlier in the day, but you must be 18+ for the night activities which are intended for older people. Though, there is a night-dance thing where everyone is allowed.

I'm not sure about larger conventions.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
I'm not into the idea of having manga delivered electronically, or any books for that matter. Besides, books are available as books and e-books, it's not like all books must be electronic. It's just not the same as holding a book in your hand. Plus, the Kindle and the Nook are more for people who travel a lot and either don't have time to sit and read a book, because they're always on the go, or because they travel a lot, they can't bring as many books. I mean with the airport security nowadays, one can only bring so much luggage, a person would not be able to pack so many books. So the Kindle or Nook comes in handy for the constant traveler. Other than that, I see no reason why manga or any kind of books should be electronic only.

I agree with this kinda sorta. Yes there's nothing like having a book in your hand. But lately I'm leaning toward getting a book reader because I simply don't have the space in my house for all the books I'd like to read. I would be using it more for space reasons, and just collect paper copies of my absolute favorite books. This is even more appealing an idea for me when it comes to manga. While I LOVE my Fruits Basket manga set, that sucker takes up one whole shelf!! I'd love to collect the whole set of Monster or Nodame Cantabile, but I'm having to conserve space as it is already!!! I'd love to see the manga industry consider releasing them in a book reader format ... maybe at a lower price (if possible) and maybe more people could enjoy them.

Takeyo wrote:
Are you sure that kigurumi was actually a girl?

I must say that never entered my mind ... thank you for subjecting me to a whole new dimension of horror.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been to a con, mostly because of the age thing. I do have a few miles on me and I've been uncertain about how I might be received (perceived?).

I do attend Ren Faires, sometimes in cosplay, but they tend to be a bit more eclectic in their patronage, so age isn't an issue.

Since I'm an almost rabid Anime fan (I have no qualms about telling the world that I like Anime) I'm sure I'd enjoy a con but...

As far as e-books, and so on, are concerned: when I sit down in front of a computer, more often than not it's to work. Watching streaming video or reading a book or manga on the computer is too much like work, so I'll pass, thank you. I would much rather sink into my comfortable sofa with a book or plug in a disk or turn on the TV if I want to watch a show. That feels much less like work.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I've only been to one con thus far, but I've got three more lined up for this year. My first con was Ayacon 2009 - just a little while after my 24th Birthday. I didn't feel out of place at all, but then Aya was an +18 only event.

I am currently registered for Amecon, Nemacon and Auchinawa. Ame is another +18 only event, but Auchi is +16 and Nema is +14 (I am taking my younger brother to this). I could potentially see myself feeling old at Nema but I think Ame will be like Aya.

I've never heard of a convention (for anime) in the US that had a lower age limit. Technically, at most hotels (or maybe all?) you cannot book a hotel room unless you are 21 or older ... or at LEAST 18. Also, cons have rules that teens/kids under a certain age need to have an adult with them, .... but it's pretty much impossible to police that. Some parents are dumb and will book the room and just drop off their 16-18 year old kid and his/her friends for the weekend, it seems. Or there is a room w/ one 21 year old who booked the room ... and buys alcohol for all the under 21's. Also, I see a lot of younger folks (under 14 at the oldest) running around alone. Now, I remember running around at the mall alone when I was 11-12, so I'm not really sure how I feel about it ... but ... anyway ... all the lack of enforcement is what causes the issues, I think.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that youtube uploader has 4 million views, and less than a thousand subscribers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Since Sony has apparently paid for the English dub of Nodame for their Animax channel and Crackle , it would seem like they'd go ahead with a licensed release to make back some of the money. With VAs like Mona Marshall and Kate Higgins and Doug Erholtz in it, I doubt it came cheap, so maybe it's a prelude to an R1 release?

Don't know whether to be happy about that prospect or not, because in spite of the talent, the dub is not awesome. Still, if an existing English dub gets it released, there'd still be the sub track on the dvd to fall back on.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm nearly 25 years old now, and this year's trip to Fanime will probably be my last anime convention after 7 years in attendance. Real life is approaching quickly in the form of a Master's thesis, finding a place to live in San Diego and looking for a job while simultaneously planning my wedding. So yeah, busy busy busy. Every year the general audience of the convention grows younger and younger and it's harder for me to find people my age. While I love taking my younger sisters along and watching them have a great time, I believe I will take Brian's advice and hand my con badge to the next generation.

I plan on attending Comic-Con while I live in San Diego, but I think my time attending "anime" conventions is coming to an end. My love for anime, however, has not dissipated. You can have my anime collection when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Enjoy the age of the future kids!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
At 43 years of age, I'm leaving the cons to you kids. The last thing I'd want you to do is kick my cane out from under me just for kicks.

Though, I have been toying with the idea of attending the con at Indianapolis this summer. Hey, maybe I can wax poetic with Key (and force him up monument circle).

The age gap most certainly would be my reason for abstaining a trip. The glares wouldn't bother me. I'd just tell them to get off my lawn. Still, it would be like walking into high school and it's just not right. After all, that school in Japan had to post warnings.

Even though it was already stated, I'm doing it again: the QotW is duplicated.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I fear for my father. He's in his 40s, and he's been to conventions before, like dragon*con, but I recently got him into anime and now he's all adamant about going to the local anime convention I usually go to, and well... I don't know what I'm going to do with him. He has a Kakashi costume, so maybe people will look past him, but I can't help but feel he'll be disappointed by all the kids and the size of the convention.

A big part of that worry stems to in how people will see him since photography is a hobby of his, and he loves taking pictures of cosplayers. Maybe if people see him with a large group of people (we have a nice size going) he'll seem less pedo-ish. ... still him and my brother being Kakashi and Jiraiya won't help with that image.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I can't say that I've ever felt out of place at conventions. I'm 32 now, approaching 33 and I didn't start attending conventions until I was 29. Of course, the only conventions I've been to are Anime Expo, Otakon, and Anime Boston, three of the largest ones, so there is a bigger population sample there. I don't see why one would ever feel uncomfortable at the cons. I tend to ignore the kids as best I can unless they're in a really good costume, then I'll ask to take a picture. But other than that, and being annoyed by their constant Marco Polo screams, or announcing how they lost some game or something or another, I don't pay much attention to them. I have a better time attending panels and such than I do mingling with other people anyways.

So, I plan on attending conventions for decades to come, and to heck with the damn punk kids.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:

A lot of the cons I've been to do not restrict by age, just usually saying if you're under 16 you need a parent or guardian with you. Depending on the cons, sometimes really young kids (Like 5 or less) get in for free.

I have however seen a lot of local anime events in my area that do not allow anyone over the age of 18 to attend. My local library has a weekly manga discussion group that I would've loved to go to, but apparently I'm too old for such things. -.-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The last time I went to a con was Anime Expo 2004. Then, for a couple years, either I didn't have the cash to cover all the expenses, or as I eventually came to the point where money was less of a problem, the problem became availability. I enjoyed my times at AX, and I'd like to attend a con again, but being in the latter half of my 20s now, I think it'd feel weird. At the very least, I'd have to attend the big cons - local stuff just for the sake of socializing would be right out. Panels are my meat and potatoes - I love industry guests, especially from Japanese studios, and only the big cons really get that kind of guest in large quantities anyway. One day, maybe the stars will align and I'll attend...something again.

As far as the Nodame anime goes, I think there's a big disparity that no one mentioned. As a fan of classical music, I find it only natural that, in a series about it, I'd be able to hear the great pieces being performed. That whole atmosphere of the series helps it work in a big way. I've never picked up the Nodame manga and never even been interested in it, despite liking the series, because why would I want a great series about characters who attend music school and play classical music where I couldn't hear any of the music? It's a world of difference. If there was a great story about someone who analyzed famous historical works of art, would you rather read that story in a print volume - in which reproductions of the artwork in question can be seen by the reader - or hear it as an audiobook? One conveys the power of the art, the other simply suggests it.

So...yeah; Nodame anime license = YES. Here's hoping it'll happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5